12-23-2014 05:46 PM
27 12
tools
    So, I recall having seen this when 8.1 first hit, but there's been no mention of it since--has anyone else encountered that most (or all) songs played in Xbox Music have a weird "glitch" (a fraction of a second of the song) play right before starting the new song?

We're still waiting on XBox Music to have gapless playback, though personally, this is a more annoying problem for me--and it seems to isolated to using earbuds (so playing music over BT doesn't have the issue--perhaps related to the small delay all sounds playing of BT seem to have). Has anyone encountered a solution?
    09-24-2014 06:00 PM
    I have the same. However I should check to see if the new update fixed it.
    09-24-2014 06:04 PM
    Many have faced the same problem http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...ing-video.html

The latest update didn't fix it.
    09-24-2014 10:07 PM
    "Cracking" is a better way to describe it. But yes, 8.1.1 didn't do anything about it (I didn't expect it would, though to be frank, I have no idea what it's even supposed to add...stability? Tile folders were last preview updates.

At least Gapless playback seems to be on the suggestion list for Xbox Music, which by necessity would fix the problem, though I don't actually want gapless for most of my music. Pandora doesn't have this issue, which means it's not inherent to any sound, just files read by Xbox Music for playing.
    09-25-2014 08:16 AM
    Yeah the new update didn't fix it :( I think it is an OS issue as even third party apps like Modernmusic does it too. I am hoping when I get the Cyan firmware it will fix it.
    09-25-2014 03:59 PM
    Cyan doesn't fix it sadly.
    09-25-2014 04:07 PM
    I think it is an OS issue as even third party apps like Modernmusic does it too.
    Yes MoliPlayer Pro also has this issue. It's definitely an OS issue.
    09-27-2014 05:29 AM
    I don't have this kind of problem in any programs Lumia 520 cyan
    09-27-2014 05:41 AM
    I don't have this kind of problem in any programs Lumia 520 cyan
    Very interesting. I heard about this a long time ago on a 520 back when I downgraded off from 8.1 to 8.0 on my 925.

You're certain you're not streaming music, or listening through BT? Those are the first things to rule out.

Yes MoliPlayer Pro also has this issue. It's definitely an OS issue.
    That's actually pretty eye-opening. I installed Music Player and did not have the issue. Unfortunately, for all of its problems, Xbox Music has a lot more functionality I don't want to give up. I'll need to try other third music players as well.

EDIT: I installed ModernMusic and found the same problem. On one hand, this is definitely eye-opening, on the other hand, it's not a good sign--seems like any music not streamed has this problem. So much for a solution.
    Last edited by Desynthesis; 09-28-2014 at 12:57 PM.
    09-28-2014 12:08 PM
    Very interesting. I heard about this a long time ago on a 520 back when I downgraded off from 8.1 to 8.0 on my 925.

You're certain you're not streaming music, or listening through BT? Those are the first things to rule out.

That's actually pretty eye-opening. I installed Music Player and did not have the issue. Unfortunately, for all of its problems, Xbox Music has a lot more functionality I don't want to give up. I'll need to try other third music players as well.

EDIT: I installed ModernMusic and found the same problem. On one hand, this is definitely eye-opening, on the other hand, it's not a good sign--seems like any music not streamed has this problem. So much for a solution.

I get it on streamed music too. The "glitch" seems to be a VERY brief (~.10 seconds, maybe?) snippet of the previous song's ending - so if the previous song ended quietly, you generally won't notice it. But as far as I can tell, any music app that uses the built-in music-playing APIs will have this artifact. (Apps that don't, such as Spotify or FLAC Player SD, don't have this issue.)
    09-30-2014 05:57 AM
    I recently switched phones, so it took me a couple weeks before I got around to putting my music back on my phone. In the meantime, I had been streaming my Xbox Music purchases from the cloud (I don't have a subscription). I didn't notice this glitch on streamed music. I only started noticing it again after I put my own mp3's back on the phone last weekend.
    10-01-2014 10:30 AM
    I recently switched phones, so it took me a couple weeks before I got around to putting my music back on my phone. In the meantime, I had been streaming my Xbox Music purchases from the cloud (I don't have a subscription). I didn't notice this glitch on streamed music. I only started noticing it again after I put my own mp3's back on the phone last weekend.
    In my own experience, it only effects music played off the device. I don't use Xbox Music streaming, but I do use Pandora--which means there's a split-second gap between one song and another as it goes through the library. Ironically, that gap is not just expected, it's also completely silent.

Strangely, the 'cracking' doesn't sound if I'm listening through Blutooth (as in my car--perhaps relating to the split-second delay that's inevitable through BT?). It's with headphones this problem appears.

Though, as Byobg said, some people seem to be having this problem with streaming. And there's not much indication the WP dev team has noticed. It seems to only surefire way to avoid this problem is to NOT update your phone.
    ams963 likes this.
    10-06-2014 01:00 PM
    I face the same problem with that glitch in my lumia 520...last update on 10-10-2014 did not solve the issue.Can anybody tell when the next update be released?
    10-14-2014 08:17 AM
    did anyone of you tried the hard reset?
    10-18-2014 01:59 AM
    did anyone of you tried the hard reset?
    Yes I've tried hard reset only last week. But to no avail.
    10-20-2014 09:23 AM
    It's annoying!!!
    10-20-2014 09:32 AM
    that mean it did'nt help at all...right?
    10-20-2014 10:33 AM
    that mean it did'nt help at all...right?
    Right it didn't help.
    suman5492 likes this.
    10-21-2014 10:03 AM
    At the behest of the WP support team, I made a discussion on the Microsoft Community explaining this problem (I did the chat support thing, and they told me to do so).

You can find it here. So there's that, I suppose.
    10-21-2014 01:44 PM
    At the behest of the WP support team, I made a discussion on the Microsoft Community explaining this problem (I did the chat support thing, and they told me to do so).

You can find it here. So there's that, I suppose.
    Thanks for posting the problem on the MS Community. I hope the support team can solve the problem soon.
    10-23-2014 10:51 AM
    It doesn't SEEM like it should be a hard bug to fix, but I guess it is, given how long it's taking them to fix it.
    ams963 likes this.
    10-27-2014 06:33 AM
    god knows when it will be fixed? an does anyone know when the WP 8.1 update 1 be available? I have lumia cyan right now
    10-27-2014 10:18 AM
    god knows when it will be fixed? an does anyone know when the WP 8.1 update 1 be available? I have lumia cyan right now
    It's been there for months in various software/firmware builds. Clearly MS aren't going to fix it.
    Good news is that, if your local consumer protection laws allow it, you should be able to return the handset for a refund as it's not of satisfactory quality i.e. can't be used to listen to music.
    10-27-2014 11:46 PM
    It's been there for months in various software/firmware builds. Clearly MS aren't going to fix it.
    Good news is that, if your local consumer protection laws allow it, you should be able to return the handset for a refund as it's not of satisfactory quality i.e. can't be used to listen to music.
    That's possible. Of course, I always buy my phones online, and as such, I'm well past the point of returning it to even a reputable seller on Amazon marketplace.

I thought about replacing it with a Lumia 830, but it's possible this could happen again (also, I'm not big on the idea of paying $100 for a slightly less powerful handset to fix Windows Phone's error). I might just go Android in the future if I'm still worried about this.
    Last edited by Desynthesis; 10-29-2014 at 08:41 AM.
    10-28-2014 01:30 PM
    I have a 1020, now running 8.1 Cyan. The ONLY "cracking" I hear is on gapless, live albums. I get a micro-second, album-scratch-like crack at the end of each track. I experience this when playing such an album, and when a track from a gaplessly-recorded album plays on a shuffle play. This sound from these albums is only heard on my phone, and not on my desktop nor 3 Zune players playing back such an album or track. Also, it is always heard when playing back these albums. I experienced the same sound, and still only with gapless albums/tracks, with 8.0 Black. The 1020 is not a primary listening device, so I don't care much about this; but, correcting this would be great. (I have tested this only with my own ripped CDs.)
    10-29-2014 05:13 PM
27 12