Microsoft's strategy with Xbox Music and MixRadio

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I apologize in advance. This is a rather lengthy post.

After reading last night's article about the Bing apps being updated with MSN branding, I checked to see if I had received the updates yet. I have not, but my phone shows the following apps waiting for wi-fi to update: Weather, Money, MixRadio, Sports, and Health & Fitness.

I checked the release notes on MixRadio and noticed the publisher is now listed as Microsoft Mobile (the rest of the apps show Microsoft Corporation). This got me curious, but I could not find anything online about Microsoft acquiring MixRadio as part of its Nokia purchase. Is MixRadio going to remain separate from Xbox Music, or will the services be integrated at some point in the near future?

Personally, I don't have any interest in a subscription-based music service. I prefer to collect physical CD's over just having an mp3 file. I also prefer to manage my music library myself due to infamous issues with Xbox Music app incorrectly renaming songs and inconsistent artist and album names/spellings.

I am more interested in the free streaming aspects of these apps. The modern Windows Xbox Music app allows ad supported 10 hours of free streaming per month, but the WP Xbox Music app requires a subscription to stream non-owned music. MixRadio seems to be the opposite. It requires a subscription to stream full songs on the modern Windows app, but on the WP app, it allows free streaming (I don't know the limit).

I have, on occasion, used the Play Me feature in MixRadio to discover other artists similar to what's already in my collection, but I've also found the "gigs" section to be useful to find out when artists are going to be in my area. I was curious how Microsoft is going to handle having two very similar, but different, music services. Has there been anything reported on the plans for MixRadio and Xbox Music, since they are both under the Microsoft umbrella now?

loofmodnar

Dec 14, 2010
www.loofmodnar.com
There were rumors that MS was looking to sell off MixRadio. I think the licensing agreements for XBM and MR prevent MS from merging them and they don't need a second streaming music app.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henrysmith