OneDrive integration is here. Yaaayyyy

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm very happy about this, but I'm very confused.

Ok, first of all, how do you add music to OneDrive and have it show up in XBM? Do you have to add it to a specific folder?

Second, and this one is a bit confusing.

Ok, so way back in the day of Zune Pass, I had the $15/month keep 10 songs a month as yours forever plan. I wound up with probably 120 songs or so. I haven't used the PC my old Zune Pass songs are downloaded on in awhile, and after the transition to XBM, it seemed like I lost a bunch of songs, but I never bothered to go look. Boy, did I.

Since MS did this, my XBM collection has grown to twice it's size. Can someone tell me exactly what happened here?

charktorious

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Working on my Lumia 635...kind of. Showing up in the XBOX Music app, under "Streaming" (as I expected). Current issue is that the Artist is showing up as "Unknown Artist", so tags aren't exactly being read. Still messing with it....

Thomas Jordan

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Xbox music just looks in your music folder on OneDrive and adds it to your collection across your devices. If you go on the Xbox music website it explains it there. Best of all it says you don't even need to subscribe to music pass for it to work.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I have it on my 360 but not my windows phone yet, but yes its really good really pleased, you would want to have fast internet though. I have 120MB speed and there is a couple of seconds gang time.

Stefan Holder

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I got it yesterday on my XBM app on my WP. I already had music saved in Onedrive for a while now. So I'm really glad about this. The best part is that you don't need a music pass to use it. Music pass subscribers get extra goodies though. Kudos Microsoft.
Dancing on the rings of Saturn. L1320

ZJ AJ

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Can anyone tell me what's wrong with it? I uploaded about 100 MP3s across nine or ten albums to the Music folder of my OneDrive, and only half of one of the albums (5 songs out of 9 from Bj?rk's "Vulnicura", why not the other 4?) is showing up available from Xbox Music "streaming" on my phone. The rest of them simply don't appear. All the songs are tagged properly, and they all played and showed correctly when they were physically present on my phone's SD card.

I've restarted the phone, no dice. They stream just fine off the OneDrive app. So what's the deal?

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
It could be OneDrive is slow, or it could be a bug in how the app sees music on OneDrive.

What I'm wondering now is if you can use this to download your music to your phone over WIFI instead of plugging it in (i.e. a return to wireless syncing that we had back in WP7). I'm at work, so I can't test this myself, but what I want to do ultimately is put all my organized music in that OneDrive folder (I've got plenty of space, I think I only use 2% of my OneDrive space thanks to all of MS' free promotionals) and then set them to download onto my phone over WIFI.

It'd be a lot more convenient over having to plug my phone in and use the Windos Phone App for Desktop to sync.

jockopablo

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
The Xbox Music servers must have been swamped yesterday because I put an album in my OneDrive Music folder just to test it, and it didn't show up in the Music app on my phone until today. But today I put two more albums in the folder and they showed up in the app within a couple of hours, so they must be indexing faster now.

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
I'm confused too. I can't stream The Beatles.

I know The Beatles are not in the Microsoft XBox library.

Does this mean I can only stream from OneDrive songs that XBox owns right to (and/or is matched)?

I hope not. It seems if I own a song, I should/could be able to play it from OneDrive. Isn't that the whole point of this new feature?

Anyone?

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
Also, what folder must I use in OneDrive? Or will Xbox automagically "find" music if I changed the folder? (I have mine under "my music".) Can I (must I) change the folder type to music?

Etc. Etc.

Please excuse simple questions, I'm on the road without my laptop.

Thanks in advance.

dmmontal

May 1, 2013
Visit site
It could be OneDrive is slow, or it could be a bug in how the app sees music on OneDrive.

What I'm wondering now is if you can use this to download your music to your phone over WIFI instead of plugging it in (i.e. a return to wireless syncing that we had back in WP7). I'm at work, so I can't test this myself, but what I want to do ultimately is put all my organized music in that OneDrive folder (I've got plenty of space, I think I only use 2% of my OneDrive space thanks to all of MS' free promotionals) and then set them to download onto my phone over WIFI.

It'd be a lot more convenient over having to plug my phone in and use the Windos Phone App for Desktop to sync.

The short answer is yes, you can do this. However it's currently a rather clunky and time-consuming process. I've been playing around with it since last night and have had mixed results:

After you have added all your music to your OneDrive folder, you have to open the XBM app on your phone - under settings you must enable "Connect to Streaming Music." If you do not enable this option, you will not see any of your OneDrive music. Next go to your list of all Songs - all your OneDrive music should be visible now under the "Streaming" filter. You can then select any songs (or select all) and click Download - they should download to your device.

NOTE - I do not know how this will jive with any existing subscription/streaming music you may already have. I do not subscribe to XBM and had no previous cloud-matched songs, or subscription content. So for me it was relatively simple in that my music collection is only what I have in OneDrive. I don't know if incorporating other cloud music would screw things up, as the current XBM app on WP does not let you filter between subscription streaming music or OneDrive streaming music - they are both just located under the Streaming filter.

Hiccups I've encountered:

- Songs will ONLY download while you are in the XBM app - if you navigate to any other app or the home screen, the downloads will pause. They will also pause if the screen locks. So if you're looking to download a big collection, be sure you set your lockscreen to never time out. Downloading a large collection for the first time (as I'm doing) will use a lot of your phone's resources - be prepared for intense heating, app crashes, etc.

- The system will create a new folder hierarchy that is different than how the Windows Phone app syncs your music, or how you would usually do it if you manually dragged and dropped music. The new structure you will see on your phone if using the File Manager app is: Music > Xbox Music > OneDrive Cache. Rather than the actual filenames you have on your music files, you will see a series of codes to represent each file. Also if you look under your phone's Storage Sense app, these music files will appear as unrecognized files in the Other storage section, not in Music.

- I'm unsure how the phone will handle playlists. For me this has been a big sore spot with XBM since it was introduced. Ideally I would like to use the XBM cloud playlist feature, where all my playlists automatically sync across devices. Currently playlists on my phone and in the XBM web app sync - however they do not sync up with the XBM for Windows 8.1 app on my PC. I spent about an hour chatting with XBM customer support yesterday and they had no idea what was going on, or whether this was supposed to be a feature or not.

- I'm getting a very different experience as far as metadata and album art when downloading my music from OneDrive. All my music is thoroughly tagged using MP3Tag, and all album art is embedded in each file. In the XBM app for Windows 8.1 (on my PC) everything displays correctly. It also displays correctly in Zune, iTunes, and Windows Media Player. So I know my metadata is correct - however when I view my music in XBM for Windows Phone 8.1 there are mistakes, i.e. wrong album art, albums being split, artist names being changed, etc. I also see these exact same issues in the XBM web app - again it looks like we are back to XBM overwriting or not correctly recognizing user-generated metadata.

kevynpm

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
For those asking how to do this: Go to music.Xbox.com and it will tell you how and walk you through it. It's front and center on the site. Can't miss it.

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
The short answer is yes, you can do this. However it's currently a rather clunky and time-consuming process. I've been playing around with it since last night and have had mixed results:

After you have added all your music to your OneDrive folder, you have to open the XBM app on your phone - under settings you must enable "Connect to Streaming Music." If you do not enable this option, you will not see any of your OneDrive music. Next go to your list of all Songs - all your OneDrive music should be visible now under the "Streaming" filter. You can then select any songs (or select all) and click Download - they should download to your device.

NOTE - I do not know how this will jive with any existing subscription/streaming music you may already have. I do not subscribe to XBM and had no previous cloud-matched songs, or subscription content. So for me it was relatively simple in that my music collection is only what I have in OneDrive. I don't know if incorporating other cloud music would screw things up, as the current XBM app on WP does not let you filter between subscription streaming music or OneDrive streaming music - they are both just located under the Streaming filter.

Hiccups I've encountered:

- Songs will ONLY download while you are in the XBM app - if you navigate to any other app or the home screen, the downloads will pause. They will also pause if the screen locks. So if you're looking to download a big collection, be sure you set your lockscreen to never time out. Downloading a large collection for the first time (as I'm doing) will use a lot of your phone's resources - be prepared for intense heating, app crashes, etc.

- The system will create a new folder hierarchy that is different than how the Windows Phone app syncs your music, or how you would usually do it if you manually dragged and dropped music. The new structure you will see on your phone if using the File Manager app is: Music > Xbox Music > OneDrive Cache. Rather than the actual filenames you have on your music files, you will see a series of codes to represent each file. Also if you look under your phone's Storage Sense app, these music files will appear as unrecognized files in the Other storage section, not in Music.

- I'm unsure how the phone will handle playlists. For me this has been a big sore spot with XBM since it was introduced. Ideally I would like to use the XBM cloud playlist feature, where all my playlists automatically sync across devices. Currently playlists on my phone and in the XBM web app sync - however they do not sync up with the XBM for Windows 8.1 app on my PC. I spent about an hour chatting with XBM customer support yesterday and they had no idea what was going on, or whether this was supposed to be a feature or not.

- I'm getting a very different experience as far as metadata and album art when downloading my music from OneDrive. All my music is thoroughly tagged using MP3Tag, and all album art is embedded in each file. In the XBM app for Windows 8.1 (on my PC) everything displays correctly. It also displays correctly in Zune, iTunes, and Windows Media Player. So I know my metadata is correct - however when I view my music in XBM for Windows Phone 8.1 there are mistakes, i.e. wrong album art, albums being split, artist names being changed, etc. I also see these exact same issues in the XBM web app - again it looks like we are back to XBM overwriting or not correctly recognizing user-generated metadata.

Thanks, Dmmontal--very insightful report. I was hoping for an arrangement similar to Xbox Music (i.e. Songs are there, you can download them and it sets up the same folder as if you synced with the program), but that's not likely--at least at the moment.

I moved all my music over some time yesterday, and OneDrive sees all of it--but as you suggested, I'm only seeing about two-dozen songs on Onedrive from the Xbox Music app (which also includes songs purchased from Xbox Music and thus presented the same way). Hasn't changed since it first detected it--so it's still slow. Metadata looks fine on the songs that are there. Likewise, Musix.Xbox.com shows my whole library, I think, when I switch to OneDrive as a source--so it looks like the phone is just the thing waiting to catch up.

I've got no idea if more will appear in time, or if the servers are simply swamped, or what, but for the time being I think I might hold off on this as a solution. Really, I just want a more convenient way of sending an MP3 or a WMA to my phone than via cable--but I want it to use the same file structure/procedure. In theory it's a great idea if you just want to add one or two songs, but with a library of 700 (which is tiny by the standards of others, I'm sure) it becomes impractical and unwieldy.

So it's probably not a replacement for wireless syncing. Hey, that's okay--it just came out, and USB sync is still there obviously.

Jose_Rey

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm confused too. I can't stream The Beatles.

I know The Beatles are not in the Microsoft XBox library.

Does this mean I can only stream from OneDrive songs that XBox owns right to (and/or is matched)?

I hope not. It seems if I own a song, I should/could be able to play it from OneDrive. Isn't that the whole point of this new feature?

Anyone?

No, you can stream whatever. Microsoft created a folder called "Music" in the OneDrive root directory. Try renaming the folder to that.

Also FYI, I tested DRM music and this does not work. This seems to be tailored to the MP3 and probably unprotected WMA crowd. I can see the DRM music uploaded to OneDrive, but it will not show up under "OneDrive" section of XBM.

charktorious

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
I had actually deleted my Music folder last week, hoping to correct the tagging issues I was having (big mistake) - since then I could not get XBOX Music apps or my phone to see my recreated Music folder. But I found this article which actually seemed to work, to fix this:

support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/xbox-music/xbox-music-and-onedrive

And then the Troubleshooting Section (where you need to run IE in an InPrivate Session. I don't know why, but as soon as a I did that my OneDrive music started showing up).

I still have a tagging issue though - still haven't figured that out.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss