Various OneDrive Music Issues/Questions

anon(8567512)

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so the day many of us have been waiting for has arrived- we can stream music off of OneDrive with Xbox Music Player. I am very excited, and it just so happened that it came a few days after I bought three years worth of Xbox Music Pass as well, which committed me to using the music player. But I have had some issues and I wanted to run them by the community to see if others have experienced any of these, if people have any thoughts, or if I should just expect this to remain as buggy as the old Xbox Cloud Player setup was. I don't know if this forum is the best place for this in terms of getting real help, but this is a great and knowledgable community and I don't really know where else to go. So here are the issues I have had so far:

1. I have added my collection, about 31 gb, to the music folder and it is all uploaded. I always stored it on OneDrive anyway, but now it is moved to the right folder. If I go to music.xbox.com, all of my music is there that matches exactly to my what my zune software shows (same numbers of songs, artists, albums, etc.). But on my phone and my two separate Xbox Music Player apps between desktop and Surface Pro, I have different music.

2. On my phone, I can't tell how much is there or missing, but there are a number of double songs (one of the doubles always fails to play, so I can remove them), and there are also albums missing songs. There are virtually no settings to mess with inside Windows Phone 8.1 Music app. I figured I'd give it a few days to sort out, but it has been several days and it hasn't sorted out. Since the inital upload and the songs were added to the phone, nothing has changed at all on the phone. So it isn't adding anything that has been left off and it isn't cleaning up duplicate songs.

3. On my Xbox Music Player app on my desktop pc (where the OneDrive files are actually stored locally), I have had some issues. For example, everything showed up in OneDrive music, but some of it showed that it had to stream some of the songs even though those songs are stored locally on the computer. When I switch to "all music", anything that showed that it needed to stream under the OneDrive music tab ends up showing up as double listed. If I remove the double version, it says that it will delete from both my collection and OneDrive. I decided to take one album that was double listed and physically remove it from OneDrive, wait for that to pass through the servers down to the music app. It then shows the album single listed, available for streaming only. I deleted the streaming only version, then re-uploaded the album in OneDrive. The album shows up under "all music" and shows up in my OneDrive collection at music.xbox.com, but I can't make it show up under OneDrive music on the local player that I had deleted and re-uploaded from. So I have the two-fold problem of how to remove the duplicate songs (I do have remove duplicates checked under settings) and how to get it to list albums that I removed to delete the duplicates but then re-uploaded.

4. When I went to work and checked my Surface Pro on Sunday, again, from music.xbox.com all the music is listed. However, when I bring up the Xbox Music Player app on my Surface, it is short five albums and over 100 songs. I can't do anything to make it scan again and add the missing songs, but the online collection shows all the songs/albums that the app is missing. I gave it several hours to update and add everything and it ended and stayed at those numbers, short of what it should have.

5. I can't get a consistent number of files showing up in the OneDrive folder in the file explorer (on the same device or across devices). I was listed as having 5403 files in my Music folder on OneDrive. I know that isn't all music, I only have about 3900 songs, so the rest is either album art or hidden files. But yesterday when I turned on my computer, OneDrive started uploading 3gb of data, all music, even though there was nothing new to add. It did add double copies of some of my songs and I had to go through all 452 folders in my music folder and manually remove the duplicates that it randomly decided to re-upload. I don't know why it did this and it will be very annoying if it keeps doing it. But beyond that problem, after it was done uploading and I was done manually removing the duplicates from the folders, I still end up with the OneDrive folder showing more than the 5403 files I am supposed to have. I can't find any other duplicates, so I don't know if these are hidden files or what.

5A. Continuing from that last point, when I went to my Surface Pro on Sunday (at my office), it only showed about 4300 files in the Music folder, and no matter how many times I made OneDrive resync, that number never changed. So it is showing over 1000 less files on OneDrive from my second computer. From my Surface, I leave the music as stored on-line only, so I don't know if there are some files that just wouldn't show up (hidden system files or something). When I came back to my home pc where the files are stored locally, it still has the higher number of files, over 5400, in the same folder.

6. There are also some minor issues that I can live with, but that are worth throwing out there just because they are there. Xbox Music Player changed metadata (even though I have it turned off to update metadata), including changing genres of some of my stuff. It didn't only change genres, but changed things to genres that don't exist. For example, some lecture series that I have are classified as "books & spoken." Some were changed to "boo." Also, many of my albums now show up as having been released a year earlier than they were. Not a huge deal, but annoying since I always sort my album list (which is my default preferred view) by release year.

So, that is a whole lot of stuff. I tried to be thorough. I am not trying to be a complainer or whiner. I am a Microsoft fan and own a lot of Microsoft products. I guess I am looking for advice, help, direction, or, at least, hearing that others are seeing the same kinds of things. I had hoped that it would sort itself out over a few days because I am sure that the servers and whatnot are swamped. But at this point, these issues are beyond "it just needs time to populate through the servers." Should I expect to see these issues sorted out more in coming updates to the music player apps? Am I foolish to think they will ever be addressed? Or am I the only one having issues in the first place?

Thanks everyone. :smile:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issues as you but the difference for me is I don't really care about that for my music. I should care more I suppose but for the amount of music I own and volume of music I continue to add, I can't allow my OCD to drive my music folder.

anon(8567512)

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Lol Jazmac. OCD is one of the primary issues for me. I suffer from a moderate case of it. I spent probably 30-40 hours organizing and redoing metadata to make sure that every song I have follows all the same metadata rules and everything. However, not having all the music sync properly to the phone is a real issue because I was hoping this was going to be a viable replacement for my zune hd. Not that I need to replace it now, but I know it is going to die sooner or later and streaming my own collection to my phone would be the perfect alternative. As long as I can't control what does and doesn't show up on my phone from my OneDrive collection, I won't be able to use it.

Ironically, after I posted this last night, a number of the errors within my music app magically resolved themselves. So now all of my albums/songs are showing on the computer app under OneDrive music just as they should.

I am glad to know that I am not the only one with the issues because if others have them as well then there is, at least theoretically, a higher likelihood that Microsoft will try to patch out the errors. I would love for Xbox Music Player to become as good as the zune software (which is likely a pipe-dream), but I would accept it just being adequate if it won't be buggy. Anyway, I am as I said in my first post, I am not trying to complain about it, but just seeing if others have had the issues and/or advice on the stuff.

JEB1960

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
My issues are similar but if you stripped it down to a single question, why does my Onedrive show 3500 songs while All Music shows 5,000? 3500 is correct, meaning, I know I have 3500 songs. And although I have bought a few songs here and there on my phone, that number sure isn't 1500. Also, when I click on "only on this PC", that number is 1700 even though my Surface Pro 3 shows all 3500 songs as available offline, i.e, I downloaded them all. My best guess is that it looks as though the setting "All Music" is double counting some of my songs- but I have no guess what properties those songs have that is causing them to be double counted.

JNaDa

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
My collection is about half as large as yours. I've been going through album by album. It seems to be the safest approach to me. Please note that I have the option checked to fill in missing album info. I also have the option to clean up duplicates UNchecked. My biggest pet peeve thus far is having songs I purchased through zune/xbox music be removed by request of the copyright holder. I still have the mp3 files, but if anything ever happens to those files or my backups, they're gone forever.

Anyway, here are a few things I've noticed:
  1. Music purchased through Zune/Xbox music showing up twice:
    Delete the OneDrive file and re-downloaded the file from the marketplace.​
  2. Songs on OneDrive showing up twice:
    Remove local OneDrive folder from the list of folders the Xbox Music app watches/scans (sorry, not on my home PC so I can't verify the actual terminology)​
  3. Xbox Music app showing incorrect metadata from Google/Amazon files:
    Microsoft just needs to get their act together for this one. Even when I edit the metadata in windows explorer, the album year always displays one year early. Funny thing is, in the Xbox music catalog, the year is the correct year​
  4. Songs not showing Windows Phone music app:
    Looks like you already tried this, but give it some time. They usually show up for me after about 10 - 15 minutes. Sometimes less​

This is all I have for now. I'll try to update as I go through. Let me know if you have questions/need clarification. Sometimes my thoughts/words are all over the place.

On another note, one tip that can be especially useful for duplicates: right click the song and click properties. This will tell you where the song is located, allowing you to delete files you actually want to delete.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99