12-09-2015 11:37 PM
79 1234
tools
    This is exactly what I've been forced to do.
    I have recently found a fix for this, and that is to use VLC player, it seems to be working. Thank god.
    Yazen likes this.
    03-29-2015 08:14 PM
    I have recently found a fix for this, and that is to use VLC player, it seems to be working. Thank god.
    Foobar is coming to WP! Hopefully they take advantage of Xbox Music APIs
    Shobin Drogan likes this.
    03-30-2015 11:47 AM
    It's telling me I need an Xbox music pass to play a song I already own and is physically on my device. I'm not paying to play music I already paid for! Stupid!
    03-31-2015 05:11 PM
    Meh, I have a large collection and I don't think it's ever fully loaded it. Plus, everytime there is an update, it must re-index my entire collection.
    03-31-2015 09:30 PM
    I think I've already posted this here, but I'll do it again anyway.

Today's release of Music Preview on Windows 10 basically tells me that nothing will change, although it is an early build.

What I want most is to have the app recognize ALL METADATA, and be able to use that criteria for searches and playlist creation - like auto playlists in Windows Media Player.

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to make playlists with a large collection the way Xbox Music works now (and how the Music Preview appears)?
    dgr_874, 920Walker, Dk92 and 2 others like this.
    03-31-2015 09:38 PM
    Here are some of the best music apps you should try: (In no particular order)
    1. Perfect Music
    2. ModernMusic
    3. Zbox
    4. Audiotica
    I've tried all but the last one and each fail on various fronts. e.g. Perfect Music doesn't show any artwork for anything at all. It seems to be a text-only UI to me and when I emailed them about it they ignored me. ModernMusic's UI is hideous and zbox tires hard to be like Zune but fails.
    OTOH, I've just installed Audiotica and it looks like it might be the best yet. It's found artist pics for 99% of my music, even really obscure stuff, and it seems to work quite well. It feels a lot like Groove, only more streamlined.
    Curated playlists for every genre. I listen to music half my day, ain't nobody got time for searching for music on a mobile app
    How many genres do you think there are? What genre would you consider a band like The Cure to belong to? Genres are hopeless in digital music. I have albums by a solo EBM artist that have "Metal", "Pop", "Rock" and "Electronica" attached to albums of very similar music.
    I wish it allowed us to attach artist images without subscribing to the xbox music pass. Thats what sucks for me BIG time...
    I've never had a Pass and mine has background images for most of my artists. That might be because I used MPA Tool to get my album artwork but they are definitely there.
    It honestly seems like the people managing xbox music don't LOVE music.
    Exactly! And that is the complete opposite to how Zune feels. It's infuriating at times.
    ... but MSFT has done a good job in steadily pushing out updates and the program is running as smooth as ever.
    Maybe for you but they have not fixed so much as a single issue for me. XBM is as useless for me today as it was the day I first opened it in 2012.
    If you look at the album art, in a lot of cases they'll have an explicit and then an album art picture without the explicit tag.[/QUOTE}
    Less than half my collection shows any album art at all. It's worse than hopeless.
    I like the other features like related artists and history.
    Both were present in Zune and worked better.
    This isn't a standalone media player. It was never meant to be. For what Xbox music is designed for it does a great job.
    No, it doesn't. It is measurably worse than Zune in EVERY SINGLE WAY and so bad at the very basics that you have to wonder if they aren't doing it on purpose sometimes.
    Xbox music doesn't do some of what the other players do, but it doesn't suck.
    OK, there are apps that suck even worse but make no mistake, X-Box Music most definitely does SUCK!
    I have so many songs that I own that don't work in my Xbox music app it's ridiculous. Maybe because I didn't load them one at a time. Almost half my library is unavailable to me. I always end up using the file app to play my music.
    I've never had any such problems. XBM may have taken forever to find everything but there is nothing in my collection, most of which is ripped from CD, that doesn't play.
    Meh, I have a large collection and I don't think it's ever fully loaded it. Plus, everytime there is an update, it must re-index my entire collection.
    Mine did that a couple of times but it hasn't had to do it for at least 18 months.
    Do you have any idea how difficult it is to make playlists with a large collection the way Xbox Music works now (and how the Music Preview appears)?
    I always make playlists by hand. I couldn't imagine doing it any other way.
    920Walker, Yazen and anon(9308532) like this.
    04-03-2015 02:01 AM
    OK, now it is my turn. Let's frame this conversation first, though. The biggest problem with X Box Music is Zune. For me, Zune was an application that completely transformed my opinion of Microsoft, singlehandedly. It offerred far and away the best experience of any music ecosystem on any platform and was the nearest thing to going into your local record shop. It felt like it had been lovingly crafted by people whose love of music matched my own. Until I discovered Zune, I didn't think I would ever give up my CD collection but it persuaded me to spend hundreds of hours ripping my 1000+ collection of discs because it felt so similar in so many ways. I could sit and read artist bios while I listened to music and watch super-cool collages of album covers that reminded me of my teenage bedroom walls, festooned with my favourite things.

And now we have this... this "thing" that seems to have been designed by the finance dept to maximise income. It would be OK if it was just a bit soulless but the bloody thing doesn't even work! Here is my list of issues on the W8.1 app:

1. It took my lovingly curated collection from Zune and arbitrarily decided to reassign some songs to other artists who had released a song with the same name. That wouldn't be a problem, except there is no way to fix it. (It is still correct in Zune.)

2. Less than half the "albums" (they should call them "releases" instead because there are a lot of singles and EPs in there, too) show up with any artwork, even though I have gone to great lengths to ensure everything looks perfect in Zune. There is no way to fix this manually.

3. A large number of "artist" images are just horrible tiled pictures from album artwork and they look awful.

4. On the rare occasions I can't find something elsewhere and have to buy it from MSFT, I always have trouble with the downloads. e.g. A couple of days ago I bought an album with 17 tracks. The first 12 tracks downloaded in a few minutes, the last five took three more hours. I've tried both my phone (4G) and laptop (wi-fi at home and at work) and had exactly the same issues every time. OTOH, albums I buy from other sources download normally. This wouldn't be such a huge issue if XBM showed you what was going on, a download bar or something similar, but it doesn't. Most of the time it looks like it's stalled. It is just rubbish service.

4. Navigating to the album you want is terrible. You only get three different ways to sort your music. In Zune, the three column layout mean\t there were literally dozens of different ways to get to things quickly and easily.

5. No screen-savers, no artist bios, no band photo backgrounds, no similar artists, visualisations, no nothing. It is sterile and horrible.

6. No facility for ripping CDs or syncing music with other devices. That means I now need to have three different apps to do what Zune, and even Windows Media Player, can do all by themselves.

The bottom line here is that the XBM app is worse than WMP. If that doesn't have alarm bells ringing in Redmond then I don't know what will get through to them.

I have fewer problems with XBM on my phone. It is much closer to Zune, with the following exceptions:

1. It doesn't recognise the album artwork for more than half my collection. Somebody had to write an app, MPA Tool, to fix this problem. Why haven't MSFT fixed it?

2. They took out the New Music (or Recent or whatever it was called) that allowed me to quickly get to the things I had most recently added to the device (you know, the stuff I am most likely to want to listen to).

Apart from those two gripes, they have managed to keep XBM on WinPhone much more like Zune was. That, of course, only helps to remind us just how bad it is on Windows 8, which is why I still use Zune for everything I can and only use XBM when I have no other choice. Unfortunately, XBM still has the biggest range of music I have come across, so now and then I still have to buy from them, but I'm never happy about it since they closed down the Zune Marketplace (where I used to spend $100 a month or so).
    04-03-2015 02:32 AM
    I don't know if someone mentioned this but not having famous file extension support such as flac made me flip out since at the beginning u had to buy an app then I found perfectmusic app which is really awesome with some android like style of customization and look.

I prefer u guys give it a try
    04-03-2015 02:53 AM
    5. No screen-savers, no artist bios, no band photo backgrounds, no similar artists, visualisations, no nothing. It is sterile and horrible.
    I can't speak for Win8/8.1 but at least on the Win7 web client there's artist bios with a band photo, and similar artists. Although the bios are at the very bottom, I wish they were at the top next to the band photo.

I thought on Win8/8.1 if you go to now playing it has a half-assed screensaver/visualization?
    04-03-2015 04:21 PM
    they need to put bluetooth in the xbox
    hink3000 likes this.
    04-03-2015 05:33 PM
    I thought on Win8/8.1 if you go to now playing it has a half-assed screensaver/visualization?
    There is no "Now Playing", there is just a single UI for everything. It's awful.
    04-03-2015 06:45 PM
    There is no "Now Playing", there is just a single UI for everything. It's awful.
    At least on Windows 8.1 there is. Not sure why you're not seeing it. I just used my wife's 8.1 laptop with the newest Music app and it's right there under Collection, Radio, and Explore. When selected it gives an option to go full screen which shows moving band photos. It's not quite as cool as the Zune software's now playing but it's still pretty cool.
    04-08-2015 04:46 PM
    It is so funny to read people saying just how much they loved Zune cause when it was out, it seemed everybody hated it, including and especially its name. They cussed Balmer like nobodies business. lol
    04-09-2015 10:01 PM
    Android 1.6 had seeking

Pretty much every entry level device that can play music supports gapless playback. Xbox Music? Nope :(
    Yeah, this is mind-boggling. WTF. How many years has other phones/MP3 players had this feature. It cannot be that many lines of code. FFS this absolutely kills the feeling of listing to a live album.
    Yazen likes this.
    04-21-2015 10:25 AM
    Yeah, this is mind-boggling. WTF. How many years has other phones/MP3 players had this feature. It cannot be that many lines of code. FFS this absolutely kills the feeling of listing to a live album.
    Their Radio algorithms heavily favor lower $/listen songs as well!
    Thought MixRadio was bad in this respect, however Xbox Music takes the cake.

Anyone else notice that the app has to sign in each and every time? When I get back in my car with MixRadio paused there is no issue continuing where I left off.

I loaded Xbox Music on my siblings device and he does not touch it .. Don't blame him either, uses the free iTunes service on his iPhone ...
    04-21-2015 04:35 PM
    I always make playlists by hand. I couldn't imagine doing it any other way.
    And with this in mind, Microsoft decided to adopt playlist standards instead of trying to pin users into their ecosystem.
    04-21-2015 04:41 PM
    At least on Windows 8.1 there is. Not sure why you're not seeing it. I just used my wife's 8.1 laptop with the newest Music app and it's right there under Collection, Radio, and Explore. When selected it gives an option to go full screen which shows moving band photos. It's not quite as cool as the Zune software's now playing but it's still pretty cool.
    Oh yeah, it's there today and here is what it looks like:

nowplaying.png

Fabulous, isn't it? To be fair, it works better for some bands but given that only around 20% of my collection has artwork, I'm not confident it will ever be useful. And it doesn't really compare to this from Zune, does it?

zunenowplaying.jpg

Here's an example of how completely useless and ugly it is overall:

xbmsucks.jpg
    04-24-2015 02:17 AM
    It's telling me I need an Xbox music pass to play a song I already own and is physically on my device. I'm not paying to play music I already paid for! Stupid!
    Exact problem I have.
    05-05-2015 09:24 AM
    I found out the hard way that the $5 gift card I acquired through Bing Rewards only works on Windows 8 on a PC, not the phone.

Personally I like for Xbox Music to scan me entire phone and synchronize music with OneDrive. I have to manually upload my music to OneDrive, which is very tedious.

Playlists appear to be the only way to ensure that songs from Xbox Music Pass are available both on the phone and online. But it can take anywhere from 48 hours to never for playlists to synchronize.
    05-05-2015 09:37 AM
    I found out the hard way that the $5 gift card I acquired through Bing Rewards only works on Windows 8 on a PC, not the phone.
    If you go to your wallet on the phone, does the gift card show up? I use the rewards gift cards on my phone all the time... Whether I add them to my account through the Xbox or through my wallet app, they all combine and can be seen in the wallet app.
    05-05-2015 09:47 AM
    If you go to your wallet on the phone, does the gift card show up? I use the rewards gift cards on my phone all the time... Whether I add them to my account through the Xbox or through my wallet app, they all combine and can be seen in the wallet app.
    It does. I worked with @xboxsupport on Twitter about the issue. I ended up purchasing an episode of Two Broke Girls on Xbox Video.

What I don't understand about the Xbox apps is that Xbox Video is far easier. Yet Xbox Music is so abstract. I prefer Spotify for file synchronization. Even MixRadio is preferable. Music players on Linux are easier to use. Its easier to use an app like Music Locker to access music from OneDrive than it is to use the Xbox Music app.

I think some of the frustration with Xbox Music is that there are users coming from Android where every OEM installs their own player, and that isn't the case on WP. On Android Google Music Player is an option, but there are often other alternatives out of the box.

Another issue I have, petty as it may be, is that I had gotten used to Google Music Player caching tracks I streamed automatically. If I listened to the same 5 tracks, they were only downloaded once. If I cleared the cache, they were downloaded again. With Xbox Music, you can sync your online collection, but it is not clear that doing so is the same as caching music you've streamed. I don't know, GMP just seems to be more intuitive to me.

Once you learn Xbox Music and it's idiosyncrasies, you love it. But that should not be the case.
    05-05-2015 10:34 AM
    I know this might not be the best place to reply, but maybe someone, just anyone on the Xbox Music team, will see this and think about their app.
    I took advantage of the Pi Day special, MS offered for Xbox Music, having always wanted to try it and hearing about the good music selection available. I will say of most of the online music apps I have tried, Xbox Music appears to have the biggest selection.

Having used a WP device (playing with WP 10) but primarily using an iPhone, I can list several issues. These are not particularly iPhone specific.

• The app has not been updated for iPhone 6/6+. The phone has been out for nearly 8 months. Please update so the app takes proper advantage of the new screen resolutions.
    • No lyric support. The latest update to Amazon Prime Music now has lyrics on many of the big/popular songs. It scrolls along as the song progresses. It is a nice addition to the experience.
    • Genres. I know this somewhat goes against the ethos of Xbox Music, but it would be really nice to just have genres. "Classic Country", "Pop", etc.
    • The webpage shows a section of New Music, yet on the app, within the radio section, all I see is Recommended and a bunch of artist, a bunch of which do not generally even fit my musical preference.
    • Speaking of the web player, please move away from a flash based player. MS has promoted and moved towards HTML5, so it would be nice to have a web player which does not rely on Flash.

Just my 0.02.
    05-11-2015 11:22 AM
    Yeah. it sucks so much it pisses me off
    05-14-2015 03:21 AM
    [*]Genres. I know this somewhat goes against the ethos of Xbox Music, but it would be really nice to just have genres. "Classic Country", "Pop", etc.
    I used Slacker for years and loved it, but after switching to Windows Phone and then buying an Xbox One I decided to try Xbox Music. Aside from the ability to ban songs and/or artists, genres are the main thing I miss. I especially miss the decades stations because for genres I've figured out some great artists to create stations around that give me what I want (e.g. James Brown for soul/funk, Willie Nelson for classic country, KISS for hard rock/hair metal). It's much tougher building a good decades station when you have to base it on a single artist. I'm still trying to find a good artist to build a '70s station around.

Overall I'm very satisfied with Xbox Music, though. I love being able to use my Xbox One to listen to music on my HT system, and streaming works very well on my Lumia 830. The only issue I've had with the WP app is that for some reason it likes to auto-select shuffle mode when I go to stream an album. I prefer to listen to the album straight through in proper order.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-19-2015 01:57 PM
    Its not Zune
    05-27-2015 02:16 AM
79 1234