Groove Music Problems - 10572

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I've got a few problems with Grove Music since upgrading from WP81 to W10M. I want to note that I'm streaming all my music from OneDrive - I've no music on the phone locally. I stream almost exclusively while in my car over Bluetooth.

1) I'll start a playlist (200+- songs on the list). Everything will start streaming fine. I'll shut off the car, pausing the music. When I get back to the car, the music won't start playing until I press Play.

2) 80% of the time, the music won't start playing at all. I press Play, and there are the .....s floating by - then the counter on the song goes to 0:00 and sits there. There is a non-stop data connection - no matter how many bars of LTE. I run a speed test, and I'm getting 40Mbps over LTE - however the song simply won't start playing. If I pause and start the song again, it'll play a few seconds, then act like it ran out of buffer and start stuttering as it pulls in 1 second of music every 2-3 seconds of download time. However, every other app is downloading data very quickly (speedtest, News app, Edge browser, etc.).

3) Even if I close the Groove Music app (swipe down on task manager), the data connection keeps going for quite some time. I've watched the data connection stay active for 10 mins. I assume it's still trying to buffer the song in the background, at some ridiculous speed like 9600bps.

4) I regularly see Groove show a song about to be played, but the music playing is from a different song. If I close out of the app and go back in, the song info corrects itself.

5) I've started a song in the house - paused after 5-10 seconds. Go into my car, and start playing the song there - the song continues right where it left off (the phone never went to sleep - resetting the song), however the timecode jumps 30-60 seconds forward. Looks weird when the song timecode says it's finished, however the song keeps playing.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: Grove Music Problems - 10572

Groove has not skipped or paused for me over using data connection and BT in the car. I forgot to sync music from OneDrive in the app on WiFi and it used 1GB to sync and play over data during a 2hr drive :eek: I hope the data was from syncing, MixRadio + was very frugal on a data connection.

I do have similar issues with turning off the car and then starting. Not using a PL but shuffle all. Music begins playing at about 5 songs back I previously heard. The Groove screen automatically swipes back multiple songs, I can see the previously played songs appear quickly in reverse order before playback begins.

At home on WiFi Groove has problems streaming. All other apps stream just fine, have a good connection. At about 5 seconds into every song it sounds like the first seconds are being repeated, then no audio for a few seconds, while the song time is still running. This happens consistently with every single song and has done such since the last build. The songs play fine if downloaded from OneDrive using the phone app or synced offline with the desktop phone app.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

I forgot to sync music from OneDrive in the app on WiFi and it used 1GB to sync and play over data during a 2hr drive

I don't follow. Does Groove download copies of all the OneDrive songs onto the phone? Is there a setting that controls that?

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't follow. Does Groove download copies of all the OneDrive songs onto the phone? Is there a setting that controls that?

When Groove is first opened it automatically syncs with the associated OneDrive account, to show music available for streaming over OneDrive (music placed by user in OneDrive > Music folder) The Refine bar has music location filters: All, Offline, and Streaming (these options differ in W10M and W10). I'm not aware of a bulk download option to sync all songs offline. I tested the WiFi playback issue by downloading some single tracks in the phone app. I hope the majority of data usage over 2 hours was due to syncing available music for streaming and not from the actual streaming.

The Windows Phone Desktop app, IMO, is the easiest way to transfer specific albums, artists or individual songs to the phone for offline, no cellular data usage, use. It's been a chore after each fresh fast ring install but haven't got to it after last build.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

Ahh - got it, thanks. I wish I could figure out why my streaming gets stuck on T-Mobile. I have full bars and the data indicator is on solid - however, the songs just won't stream. The only thing I can come up with is a problem with OneDrive's network, throttling from Microsoft, or throttling from T-Mobile. I'm no where near T-Mobile's rumored throttling cap (I've only used 500MB this month - rumored cap is around 20GB). It may be a networking issue between T-Mobile and Microsoft's OneDrive servers. I guess the only way to test that is to try it on someone else's network. I'll see if I can borrow someone's AT&T SIM and pop it in my HTC M8. Should be able to pick up their network and then I can try streaming from them.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

I'm on Cricket, which uses AT&T's network, and don't have any problems there with sometimes two bars on LTE, which is I think 8Mbps max using Cricket.

Hopefully all issues are resolved when W10M RTM is out.

M7H

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site

I forgot to sync music from OneDrive in the app on WiFi and it used 1GB to sync and play over data during a 2hr drive

There is this possibility to make songs in a playlists available offline, which means, that if you do, it will download all songs in this playlist to your local device.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

There is this possibility to make songs in a playlists available offline, which means, that if you do, it will download all songs in this playlist to your local device.

Where do I set that flag?

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
So that worked - I can now play my Groove Music without many of the streaming problems I was having. My biggest problem now is that Groove does not remember where you left off at all - or that you were even in a Playlist.

If I start playing my downloaded playlist, and then pause it - it'll resume if I wake the phone up fairly quickly after going to sleep. If the phone sleeps for too long, or I open several other apps, Groove forgets everything and I have to start over again.

This is on 10581 now.

YKinase

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't have the option to disable downloads from Groove while on cellular data. I burned almost 1GB without realizing it. I thought this was an option on the Xbox Music app on 8.1

-Lumia 1020 ; Build 582

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte