Organise Groove Music

Michael Sammels

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys,

This is a whopper of a question. Does anyone know exactly how Groove Music organises its music? The reason is: all of my music is in MP3 and I like to think it's perfectly tagged. For example, there are 675 folders in my music folder. When I tagged everything in Winamp (making sure artist and album artist matched), I had 675 artists there. Now, in Groove I have slightly folder (I think one or two more) - but what's even more weird is that if I sort my music by Artist, and navigate to "F"... in the middle of that is "Various Artists" - I'm having trouble figuring this out.

Can anyone provide some input at all? :)

Edit: screenshots can be provided for clarification, if required

Last edited:

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Usually when you see various artist it is from a compilation album, like a soundtrack
Trace it back to see what album these song or songs come from. This is the one that is not tagged right.
There are ID3v1 tags and ID3v2 tags and they have to contain the same information. Some tagging programs only look at ID2v2

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
Maybe the album artist is "various artists", the track is an artist whose name starts with "F". I'm just guessing. Compilations tend to mess up things (unless you adjust the tags track by track). Whatcha think? I'm becoming a OneDrive to Groove user (in place of Spotify).

Michael Sammels

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
So are you guys saying I should make sure that "Artist" and "Album Artist" match up? I can check the tags with Winamp, since I've found that edits the file tags themselves. Another thing that I find quite interesting, is why OneDrive's Groove is limited to 50,000 tracks?

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
So are you guys saying I should make sure that "Artist" and "Album Artist" match up? I can check the tags with Winamp, since I've found that edits the file tags themselves. Another thing that I find quite interesting, is why OneDrive's Groove is limited to 50,000 tracks?

No. But I'm really only suggesting a way to consider it. To me, on a compilation album, it's best to tag each track as the track artist, if you can with a tagging app. Then for compilation albums let the album artist be "various artists." It can be a lot of work.

Michael Sammels

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
That's how it's already set up. Which is even more confusing. However, a search revealed a lot of people to have the same issue - but no one has it resolved yet.

Wahadinho

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Same problem here. All of my music is perfectly tagged and it worked flawlessly on Xbox Music but in Groove it just wont recognize...

Koen C

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
I had to re-tag hundreds of albums with Tag Editor \. Weeks of work (mainly "album artist" and "album art")...but now my collection is perfectly tagged.

Michael Sammels

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, Koen! That worked! :) On a side note: in terms of streaming from OneDrive, does anyone know if the music is cached to the device? For example: if I go somewhere that has little, to no signal?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss