02-08-2018 06:40 AM
48 12
tools
    Are you running on the fast ring? Just wondering if a later version of Groove might have extra options (or at least ones that work)...
    08-19-2016 05:36 AM
    Nah, it doesn't. Put the new SD card in and hit sync, it greyed out for about a minute then went blue again. The only album offline was the one I manually set to download. I guess I could go into songs, toggle all, then download that way, but its hardly going to keep it 'in sync'. I'm just so confused by this if you got it working.
    The sync is just to update the songs on your groove app. So if you add songs/ edit the metadata to OneDrive or your device where the song is stored it will sync the update to the groove app. That's why its only showing what you had previously on your device. You will have to download everything manually which is a pain. Do it by downloading each album so you go through your list faster(I had 411 albums to download since I don't see a download all)
    Last edited by steeler4life; 08-19-2016 at 01:55 PM. Reason: more info added
    08-19-2016 01:37 PM
    Are you running on the fast ring? Just wondering if a later version of Groove might have extra options (or at least ones that work)...
    I have been on fast ring currently running 14905(updated couple days ago) groove app version 3.6.2397 (new groove update to fast ring users yesterday) don't think there is much that has changed from the official anniversary update 14393. Is that what your running?
    08-19-2016 01:48 PM
    I switched to insider and preview release builds a couple days before anniversary come out (should have just waited), but so far no real problems. My groove app version is 3.6.2304.0 so quite a way behind you. I selected 'all songs' and download, and it has been hit and miss with some lock ups. I see that the download icon is sometimes blue, red or yellow, so not sure what each of those status means (I think red is a failed transfer). I'm using the NoSleep app to keep the lock screen off (much like before, the app stops sucking in files when the lock screen is active - and there is no way to disable it on a 950/950XL).
    08-21-2016 01:25 PM
    I switched to insider and preview release builds a couple days before anniversary come out (should have just waited), but so far no real problems. My groove app version is 3.6.2304.0 so quite a way behind you. I selected 'all songs' and download, and it has been hit and miss with some lock ups. I see that the download icon is sometimes blue, red or yellow, so not sure what each of those status means (I think red is a failed transfer). I'm using the NoSleep app to keep the lock screen off (much like before, the app stops sucking in files when the lock screen is active - and there is no way to disable it on a 950/950XL).
    Groove hasn't changed much from the version you have. The download is exactly that when you are downloading songs. I had to keep my phone from going into the lock screen. It literally took me a couple days to get all my songs downloaded with a few hiccups. Just keep at it and let me know if it works
    08-22-2016 03:46 PM
    New update/ version of groove app bumped up to version 3.6.2398.0
    08-23-2016 01:42 AM
    Yeah I got it. Cannot work out how to edit the metadata, which is one of the things tagged for this version. I thought I had all files downloaded, but apparently not. So I have just selected 'All' tracks again and it seems to be downloading the missing ones. The NoSleep app doesn't seem to be working anymore, which is a real pain....
    08-23-2016 01:44 PM
    Yeah I got it. Cannot work out how to edit the metadata, which is one of the things tagged for this version. I thought I had all files downloaded, but apparently not. So I have just selected 'All' tracks again and it seems to be downloading the missing ones. The NoSleep app doesn't seem to be working anymore, which is a real pain....
    You will hate what the answer is to your editing metadata. In the groove app you can only edit the songs download directly to your phone, not the songs downloaded from the groove app to the OneDrive cache. Don't know why microsoft was unable to allow all of the songs for metadata editing. I use an app in the app store called tag editor (you have to know the info to manually input it yourself since there is no search engine built to the app which sucks).
    08-24-2016 12:03 AM
    All my files are tagged correctly anyway. I presume this is just some editor and it is not going to go and look up and fix the data? I found out yesterday that Groove uses Gracenote, but I cannot work out how to search that to see why it thinks my tags are not correct,
    08-24-2016 12:54 AM
    BTW I completely screwed up my music last night. I realised that it had not in fact downloaded everything, so I selected download all and started again. But did it select all the tracks that were missing?.......No! It deleted everything that was already downloaded and started again. I am so close to destroying my new 950 with a large mallet and getting a Nexus....

Groan! I just deleted all remaining tracks in the cache to start again, and the other option - to use a playlist does not work. If you select all tracks and try to add to playlist it comes up with the groove music pass trial window.... ggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by marky9074; 08-24-2016 at 01:14 AM.
    08-24-2016 12:55 AM
    BTW I completely screwed up my music last night. I realised that it had not in fact downloaded everything, so I selected download all and started again. But did it select all the tracks that were missing?.......No! It deleted everything that was already downloaded and started again. I am so close to destroying my new 950 with a large mallet and getting a Nexus....

Groan! I just deleted all remaining tracks in the cache to start again, and the other option - to use a playlist does not work. If you select all tracks and try to add to playlist it comes up with the groove music pass trial window.... ggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Man sorry to hear that i don't understand why groove app is causing so many problems. It should not show that music pass trial window. I get your frustration but you need to just let groove download the songs. It takes time specially if you have alot of songs and of course the other issue is keeping the phone unlocked
    08-24-2016 09:21 AM
    I checked and I have 12,201 tracks, and about 5,000 got imported in the ~12 hours yesterday when I managed to keep the lock screen disabled. Then it just stopped.... there was some message (I forget exactly, but more or less 'there are no more downloads') so I was forced to select all tracks again, and download. This time it did resume, which was lucky.

At the moment I keep getting a yellow icon and it comes up with an option for retry all. But I am not sure if it is still trying to download (other files) or not. Every now and again I reboot the phone (pulling the SD card to check the number of tracks at the same time), and it seems to go back to the blue icon again.
    08-25-2016 04:34 AM
    So it took the best part of two full days to get it all downloaded. NoSleep semi-worked. I think you have to start the phone, open Groove, open NoSleep then immediately use the long press back to switch to Groove, then stand on one leg.... and if you're lucky the lock screen stays off. I had to reselect all tracks about four times before I managed to get it all down, and I still have no idea why it prompts for a Groove music pass when trying to do it via the playlist route.

Anyway, all downloaded now. Painful though for sure.
    08-26-2016 02:03 AM
    So it took the best part of two full days to get it all downloaded. NoSleep semi-worked. I think you have to start the phone, open Groove, open NoSleep then immediately use the long press back to switch to Groove, then stand on one leg.... and if you're lucky the lock screen stays off. I had to reselect all tracks about four times before I managed to get it all down, and I still have no idea why it prompts for a Groove music pass when trying to do it via the playlist route.

Great to hear. Now that its all up to date any time you add or remove music it should automatically do it with out the hassle you went through.
    08-27-2016 02:14 AM
    I have a different problem with Groove on my L950 (W10M AU):
    I have both music (albums of different artists) and audio plays (episodes from different series) on my SD card, all of them labelled carefully.
    When I click on "albums", all albums of all artists and series are ordered alphabetically, but when I click on "artists" and choose one series, the episodes are not ordered alphabetically.

It looks like this:
    artists -> "Series xyz" -> "023 - Episode 23" ... "014 - Episode 14" ... "001 - Episode 1" and so on.

Why are they not ordered alphabetically? I looked everywhere and chose "A to Z" wherever I could find it, but they are still not in the right order.
    Hard reset, taking the SD card out and putting it back in again, soft reset, deleting all music and putting it back in, all of these measures did not help... I can't get Groove to sort albums of one artist alphabetically.

Do you have this problem as well? Do you know how I can fix this? Thanks in advance! :)
    08-28-2016 06:10 AM
    I have a different problem with Groove on my L950 (W10M AU):
    I have both music (albums of different artists) and audio plays (episodes from different series) on my SD card, all of them labelled carefully.
    When I click on "albums", all albums of all artists and series are ordered alphabetically, but when I click on "artists" and choose one series, the episodes are not ordered alphabetically.

It looks like this:
    artists -> "Series xyz" -> "023 - Episode 23" ... "014 - Episode 14" ... "001 - Episode 1" and so on.

Why are they not ordered alphabetically? I looked everywhere and chose "A to Z" wherever I could find it, but they are still not in the right order.
    Hard reset, taking the SD card out and putting it back in again, soft reset, deleting all music and putting it back in, all of these measures did not help... I can't get Groove to sort albums of one artist alphabetically.

Do you have this problem as well? Do you know how I can fix this? Thanks in advance! :)
    Try editing the track number for each ( since all of your episodes/ songs are saved in the SD card groove app allows you to edit the metadata by pressing down on the song you want to edit for a few seconds) and that should order them the way you want them to be.
    08-28-2016 03:15 PM
    I think I found the problem!

The audio plays are tagged like this:
    artist: "Audio Play ABC" (for example "Batman", the title of the series)
    album: "023 - Episode Title 23" (for example "023 - The Killing Joke", the 23rd episode of the series)
    track: "02 - Track Title 2" (for example "02 - The Joker Returns", the title of this track, the file is then called "02 - The Joker Returns.mp3")
    (This audio play doesn't really exist, it's just here to illustrate the problem ;)...)

The expected behaviour in Groove would be:
    Clicking on hamburger -> "albums" generates a list of all albums on the phone, ordered from A to Z. If I have 3 episodes and 2 music albums, I would get the following list:
    "002 - The Dark Knight"
    "023 - The Killing Joke"
    "034 - Bane"
    "Death Magnetic"
    "St. Anger"

Clicking on hamburger -> "artists", I will get:
    "Batman"
    "Metallica"

Here, when I click on "Batman", I would EXPECT the following:
    "002 - The Dark Knight"
    "023 - The Killing Joke"
    "034 - Bane"

But instead, I get:
    "023 - The Killing Joke"
    "034 - Bane"
    "002 - The Dark Knight"

As I said above, I think I know why this happens. When you click on an artist in the "artists" list, the albums are NOT ordered from A to Z, but according to their release year, starting with the newest. BUT, the albums of the same year are NOT ordered from A to Z, but randomly instead.

Long story short: Is there a way to order the album list, which you get when you click on an artist, from A to Z instead of anti-chronologically?
    08-31-2016 12:34 AM
    I did notice that in OneDrive some tracks showed first (the last one in an album normally). Since I could not edit the metadata in OneDrive (or in Groove since it is cached) I just lived with it, but for sure found it strange because numerically it should order correctly.
    08-31-2016 05:25 AM
    I have not been able to find a way to do that for the artist
    09-06-2016 07:18 PM
    I had the same issue with my library in the groove music not synchronizing, but I found the solution. At least it worked for me.

Here it is:
    I moved all my music to my PC (removed it from a phone's memory) and then I synchronized my library using Windows Media Player. "Synchronizing" in the WMP moves files to a phone, apparently in some other way than when you drag and drop them in the explorer.

I hope you'll find this useful.
    01-10-2017 03:15 PM

Is NoSleep the only way to stop the lock screen? I am having a similar issue to you. Lots of songs to import on my phone, but Groove stops each time the screen locks.
    01-22-2017 05:08 AM
    Is NoSleep the only way to stop the lock screen? I am having a similar issue to you. Lots of songs to import on my phone, but Groove stops each time the screen locks.
    Just change the "Lock screen after" to "Never", open the Groove app, and wait. It sometimes takes up to an hour before Groove even realizes there are changes and starts updating. I suggest turning the phone off and on before attempting this, and do not change apps once you have opened Groove. I know, it's a pain to wait, but this works for me 90% of the time (the other 10% consists of seemingly never updating--in which case I simply took the SD card out and put it back in; and once Groove deleted about 20% of my music collection from the SD card before I realized what it was doing).
    02-07-2018 09:28 AM
    Just change the "Lock screen after" to "Never", open the Groove app, and wait. It sometimes takes up to an hour before Groove even realizes there are changes and starts updating. I suggest turning the phone off and on before attempting this, and do not change apps once you have opened Groove. I know, it's a pain to wait, but this works for me 90% of the time (the other 10% consists of seemingly never updating--in which case I simply took the SD card out and put it back in; and once Groove deleted about 20% of my music collection from the SD card before I realized what it was doing).
    On my X3 I don't have 'Never' as a timeout option for the lockscreen. It doesn't go that high. I got used to just leaving Groove open with my finger on the screen instead. Luckily, in the latest version of Groove for W10M, you can now force sync music, at least from OneDrive, which is where I now store all my music.
    02-08-2018 06:40 AM
48 12