Where does Groove store music, exactly?

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
While it seems I can set where my music is stored to SD Card (in settings->storage), I see that Groove music is filling up my precious little "device storage," which in turn makes updating my W10M on my 640XL troublesome, without deletions. So, what's happening here? When I "download" or "make available offline" where does it go? I'd like to set it for sure to my SD Card. Any insights?

Last edited:

ads13

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
While it seems I can set where my music is stored to SD Card (in settings->storage), I see that Groove music is filling up my precious little "device storage," which in turn makes updating my W10M on my 640XL troublesome, without deletions. So, what's happening here? When I "download" or "make available offline" where does it go? I'd like to set it for sure to my SD Card. Any insights?

Open groove, press any song for drop-Down menu.
Click on Properties. It'll show your song location.

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
Thanks. I see that. But my question really is: Why is the Groove app storage MB's in "Device Storage continually growing? Somehow it's putting something in "device storage." How can I control that?

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
In your phone's Settings menu, find Storage.

Swipe down to the section for music. Do you have it listed to save to the device or to SD card?

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
Yea, I see what you mean.

Maybe I'll come at this another way: Over time, Groove continually takes up more and more of my "device" storage.

So, even though I have set "save music" to SD card, Groove is putting something, which I believe to be music, on my device storage.

This is not a big deal. It's just that my 640 XL has small device storage, so when it comes time to update W10M (I'm now on Fast track), I need to delete stuff from device storage for the update to complete.

Last edited:

Grimwar

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I own a 640 xl and a 64 GB SD card, in Storage my setting for New music, will save to: SD Card (D:)
In This Device Music is 0 bytes.
In SD Card (D:) Music is 37 GB

I have a ton of albums, most are on OneDrive, tons more on backup drives, just waiting for free time to complete my music on OneDrive and do a new backup. I got a new Seagate 4 TB external with a 200 GB of free OneDrive to put my years of Music on OneDrive and do a local backup x 2.
Now I got buy another one to backup against ransomware. I was infected a few years ago by a crude version of ransomware, it set all my programs as locked and not readable from Windows. Damm pain to remove as no antivirus could not fix it, Backup x 3 now

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss