Microsoft Groove user guide?

James Auman

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Is there a detailed user guide to using Microsoft Groove? Even though I am a longtime and loyal Microsoft ecosystem customer, I am having the worst time figuring out how to approach the Groove system. My background is like a lot of us on this forum.
1. Used to own thousands of CD's and played them in my car/computer/stereo system.
2. Then started figuring out Windows Media Player and how to rip those CD's and keep them cataloged on the computer.
3. Purchasing a Zune and learning how to use the Zune software to manage all those mp3 files (as well as still use WMP). Also began syncing those mp3 files to the Zune for mobile listening pleasure.
4. Purchasing a Zune Pass and learning how to download subscription-based music. You could still play those songs in either Zune software or Windows Media Player.

Everything was wonderful at this point. Then they moved to XBOX Music (followed by Groove) and this blew up my whole music management system. Here are my issues:

1. I still have a Groove pass, but if I download a song using Groove pass to my hard-drive, I can't play it in Windows Media Player or Zune. So I have to use Groove to play a Groove pass subscription song.
2. if I rip a CD using Windows Media Player, I can't see it in Groove. So I have to use WMP to play that song on my computer.

Should I even download Groove pass songs anymore? What is the point? How do I manage my complete music collection (a mix of ripped CD's , purchased songs, and subscription content from Zune, XBOX Music and Groove)? Help!!

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
2. if I rip a CD using Windows Media Player, I can't see it in Groove. So I have to use WMP to play that song on my computer.

Should I even download Groove pass songs anymore? What is the point? How do I manage my complete music collection (a mix of ripped CD's , purchased songs, and subscription content from Zune, XBOX Music and Groove)? Help!!
First thing to do is verify and update if necessary the folders Groove is looking for music. Go to Settings and under Music on this PC, click "Choose where we look for music". The default is C:\Users\%username%\Music. If you have music in other folders, add them. I think it prompts you the first time Groove opens if you want to include OneDrive in your library. That's the best spot if you want to have your local music available across multiple devices.

James Auman

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
If I downloaded a song using Zune pass a while back, will it play in Groove? Or do I need to delete the song and re-download it with Groove pass?

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Yes --same history here, James, and all my Zune, etc. subscription music automatically (4-5K tracks) downloaded to my Win 10-upgraded Surface Pro 2 and play in Groove along with any newer Groove downloads. I regularly do run into old subscription music that will not play because the particular album is no longer available in the store. Most of the time, a newer or seemingly identical album version is available -has rights, and I delete the old one and replace it with the new. A small percentage of the time -maybe with 5% of non-plays- I'm out of luck and just delete. Most of the latter cases are with rare artists or albums, especially international ones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos