11-14-2017 02:58 AM
62 123
tools
    I'm definitely bummed about Groove going away. By far my favorite music app since Zune.
    11-09-2017 11:36 AM
    Yes, still angry. I'm not the typical user, however. I didn't use Groove as a "streaming radio" because, frankly, nobody gets that right. I'm so very particular in my music that we buy our music, and we only buy music we're interested in listening to. We used Groove as a way to BUY the specific music we wanted, download it into our OneDrive, and then stream our library. Now we have to find a different way to buy our music. Very few of the most common options are palatable to us. Spotify is a complete waste of time since A)their app sucks and doesn't really work B)you can't buy music. One of the additional benefits of Groove was that it was integrated with the entire Microsoft experience with the one account. That's gone now. I simply don't trust Microsoft not to ruin every single product or service they have. As long as Satya Nadella and his inner circle are there, this idiocy will continue.
    11-09-2017 11:48 AM
    I live in Greece. Here we couldn't subscribe. So it doesn't affect me directly. My main problem is the lack of trust i have in Microsoft right now. I was planning to go all in Microsoft ecosystem. I have planned to buy an Xbox. Should I ? Should I buy a Surface and get an office subscription. I don't like the Google nor apple ecosystems. In fact I was waiting groove to support Greece. Also, should we buy into the new Andromeda os ? Or should we move to android till Satya goes down?
    Sorry for my bad English guys
    I have been a solid fan of MS ecosystem for years. But now, under Nadella's governance, I strongly suggest you to adopt another ecosystem. I am not a fan of Apple, but now I wish I had chosen them in the first place, because they are loyal to their fanbase.
    I am not saying that Nadella is a bad CEO. He raised MS value on the market and all. But he is not a loyal guy. Not to his loyal customers. I found Ballmer to be a dumb public figure, but at least he fought for MS fanbase.
    All in all, I am now confused as to where to put my money in the long tem.
    I think android at the moment.
    kostas douroumis likes this.
    11-09-2017 11:50 AM
    I live in Greece. Here we couldn't subscribe. So it doesn't affect me directly. My main problem is the lack of trust i have in Microsoft right now. I was planning to go all in Microsoft ecosystem. I have planned to buy an Xbox. Should I ? Should I buy a Surface and get an office subscription. I don't like the Google nor apple ecosystems. In fact I was waiting groove to support Greece. Also, should we buy into the new Andromeda os ? Or should we move to android till Satya goes down?
    Yes I am pissed, but I guess there is Spotify, which sucks on Xbox one. Groove was awesome on all platforms.
    11-09-2017 12:13 PM
    I'll continue using Groove. Yes, i'll need to purchase my MP3's from somewhere else, but I'll still put them on Onedrive and stream them to all my devices.
    11-09-2017 01:02 PM
    Still working on it a week later. Basically very inconsistent answers from agents, agents not properly updating or reading notes on the account, agents hanging up on me, agents trying to tell me things like where the pass was purchased matters as the retailer should give me a refund for the redeemed pass, things like that.

Basically just a very unfriendly and hostile experience at almost every turn

The opposite of what I stood for when I was in the upper echelons of support at Microsoft.

Evidently my documenting the process on social media has attracted the attention of some folks and I should be getting a call either tomorrow or Tuesday from a senior engineer from main campus.

It also has attracted a guy from the Xbox forums (non-staff, just a preview member) to start stalking and trolling me too. He's upset that I've called him out for bashing MS about bugs in Alpha Ring software and so he thinks it's hypocritical that I'm upset about an actual real world issue.

Good luck! They've told me, somehow, I never paid for my subscription and therefore am not eligbe for a refund...another support member told me that he canceled for me and I would receive my 99 euro's back...never got it. Last resort: Involved paypal. Been going at it for a month now.
    11-09-2017 01:05 PM
    Xbox is the best division of Microsoft when it comes to consumer relations. They keep adding services and making that system better. It is completely the opposite when it comes to Windows or mobile. I wouldn't worry about getting an Xbox.

Office is in the same boat. Microsoft makes too much money from Office to mess around with it. Surface is an extension of the enterprise platform and is pretty solid.

As far as phones go, I would recommend Android or iOS. Neither of them is as smooth or ad-resistant as WM10, but it's all that is left.
    11-09-2017 01:11 PM
    You can still go all-in. Just beware that Microsoft is looking to the future. An Xbox is as solid as an investment as you can make, considering its a console. A Surface is a solid buy as is subscribing to Office 365. Office is part of their core business.

I read recently comments, however, that Microsoft may be exploring how to put game processing up in the cloud thereby allowing anyone access to their games via thin clients (like browsers and tablets). If this comes to pass, that could mean the end of Xbox (at some point). Will it end with this generation? Highly doubtful. Sony bought -OnLive- that did the same thing. I tested it before Sony bought them, and it worked surprisingly well. I played Darksiders 2 on a web browser while at work. Again, surprisingly well. Still, all Sony has done since has sat on it. They didn't want to bring about the death of console hardware, yet. They aren't ready for that. Microsoft... may be.

Having said that, the OP/OQ is about whether or not I'm miffed about Groove shutting down. The answer is YES. I switched to an iPhone as soon as Microsoft did another pivot. I'm okay with the pivots. I want Microsoft to survive and accept their business decisions towards that end. But, I was a long time Windows Phone user dating back to the first Windows Phone 7 device, Samsung Focus. I participated in all of their beta stuff, all of the iterations, on many many devices. But I was ready to let them do them. In switching to the iPhone I felt like a *****. But, Microsoft made it easier for me to switch. I had all of the apps I enjoyed on Windows Mobile right on iOS. Some of them work a little better. Groove was among the apps/ services I really enjoyed. Mostly because of my personal library uploaded to OneDrive. It was a great innovation that worked well for me. Now comes Groove's exit and I was panicking. I've since took Microsoft up on Spotify and I have to say that, while it took a while to explore its layout and features, I am digging it more and more. I love the integration re: remote music outputs such as Sonos, wifi speakers, consoles, etc. I love that my playlists and collection (matched songs anyway) were migrated successfully. Overall, I think I'm going to be happy with the service that millions adopt. Plus, music is Spotify's CORE business. They can do them and we can know that our needs will be their focus.

Microsoft has done some great things over the years. I'll always be a fan and a user as long as it makes sense to be. From the early days of hardware (Sidewinder, keyboards, and mice) to the now (Surfaces, keyboards, mice, hololens, etc). I personally own a Surface Pro 3, Surface Pro 4, several Windows 10 gaming PCs (Alienware Aurora/ 18/ X51), Xbox One, and soon and Xbox One X.

Honestly, with their refocusing at play, I kind of wish they would do something about Xbox Video. We know now they want to get out of media. It is too much for them to compete on so many different fronts and to do it well. They should work out a deal with Vudu, for instance, and allow us Xbox Video adopters a way out. They didn't have to work something out for Groove users, but they did.

I am not making excuses for Microsoft, but I am accepting their excuses. I understand them. I'm not giving up. I'm just more on stand-by watching what they do next.

If I had to speculate about anything, I'd say that the reason they didn't release a Surface "mini" is because that might distract from the rumored Surface "mobile" device. i.e. The Surface "mini" might actually compete against a smaller form factor tablet with telephony support and confuse customers. Perhaps, in the same manner that the Surface Laptop confused Surface users. I mean, didn't Microsoft say Surface was the tablet that could replace your laptop? Why make a laptop!? Hehe.

Anyhow, I say go for it. I have been thinking a lot about this because I've been wondering the same thing. Forgive me for my rambling dribble.
    11-09-2017 01:16 PM
    I can understand the costs of licensing music and the fact they were typically last on some releases to get content but it seems like a diversion from their specified intentions. They don't have the apps to fight the fight but I felt integrating the store with music, videos, and books was a step in the right direction that might at least intrigue PC customers to utilize their services. So without digital content, apps are pointless too right?. When I'm on my computer, the only "Apps" I really used are the Weather and Calendar so I can quickly see stuff on the start screen.

I feel like they will abandon the store altogether next year because I feel the driver for that is really Mobile, it just doesn't feel viable without it. And I'm not sold on the mobile PC that Jason Ward has been writing about for 2 years. Just give me a tablet with LTE in that case. Even still, running desktop apps from a small screen is a horrible experience in case any of you have never tried remoting into a PC from a phone. It sucks and honestly unless you are in an office designed to plug your phone into some random monitor or TV, that experience is burdensome. I don't want to run desktop apps on a 7" screen because it's impractical... but all that is a tangent.

I enjoyed Groove's pass and I'm glad I didn't renew it now. I would have rather Microsoft suggested some other service than Spotify like Tidal or even Play, the Windows Store app is useless in comparison with the desktop app. I'll probably just go back to buying physical CDs and ripping them on my computer like I used to.
    11-09-2017 01:16 PM
    You are not the only one...Groove follows in the steps of Windows Media Center...both of them had something no other product on the market had....WMC was the only media center app able to play protected video streams...Groove is the only one I know that allowed offline play of your playlists...
    In both cases Microsoft ignored the fact that their subscriber numbers could have multiplied by 10 with a bit of clever advertising. I am very disappointed to say the least...
    11-09-2017 01:24 PM
    I just wish MS Groove would let us non subscribers export our play lists to m3u or any common playlist file.

My wife and I have our lifetime music collections on onedrive. We are 60 plus and have accumulated large collections. I have extensive playlists. It would just be fair to be able to export them so we could import into other products. We both gave up on windows phone. She has IOS and I have android. I have no faith that MS will take care of this app for non-subscribers.
    11-09-2017 01:31 PM
    I am crushed. Like many previous posts, I use Groove across multiple platforms ( 2 Surface Pros, 2 Lenovos, 2 Xboxes and 2 Samsung S8+ (used to be Lumia 950's, different topic)). The thing that Groove did well for me is that it managed my local files. I have about 20K music files, and not all of them are top 40 hits, so when Spotify looks at my drive it finds about 65% of my files.

That means that I can't access 35% of my music from a service that I am supposed to pay for. That is not acceptable. I don't even have that weird of a collection, a lot of this stuff was available on Groove in the store or at least on Amazon.

The Spotify app for Xbox is an absolute turd sandwich. Sorry for the language. The functionality is a joke. I still use Groove at home for now.

My project for November is to trial Amazon Music and Google Play to see if any of those can handle the local file problem better. I have looked into other streaming options, but only Amazon and Google make an honest effort to handle local files. Would love to hear if there are other solutions.

I was sad to see Zune go, that app worked well, but Groove was getting there. Yet again MS is giving up, hard to see what they will be left with when they lose the battle for the complete ecosystem.

Mike
    11-09-2017 01:45 PM
    I think Microsoft is moving into the future and are focusing on new things, streaming music i have always said will die a death, why? because its bad for business by that i mean many artists are pulling there songs away from this service and the streaming market has suffered in the last few years making a loss, so maybe this is why MS have pulled the plug on there service, not saying it is but i have been arguing this for a few years with friends, that streaming music its not the best way to listen to music. As for SPOTIFY they are losing artists aswell who are pulling there whole albums off the service as the artist are losing money.
    That said, i love my Microsoft phone, i download all my 3,000 albums down to Amazon music then download the tracks to a 128GB micro sd card in the phone and listen away for hours on end, plus i can access my Xbox community from my phone, cross platform from XBOX to my PC and if my phone is in different room, it sends all my whats app message through to my PC so i don't miss whats happening in my friends circle, i can link my printer to my phone and when away from PC it send stuff from phone files to PC/ printer to print off so one less task to do when i am home, with my windows phone is like taking my office with me on the go, so that's what i love about Windows that i could never do on android.
    11-09-2017 01:51 PM
    Hi . It's a shame that groove is shutting down .But I would suggest you to hold buying a xbox and the surface laptop . Instead u can buy a high end laptop which can help you in both entertainment and the productivity . But the Microsoft office is still a good thing to purchase if you have more than a device and works multiple devices at the same time . As for Android I'm an Android user myself I have the freedom of selecting the app which suites me or even the version of Android which suits me if you are a developer . And with Microsoft office subscription it is easy for you to continue from the Android where you left it in your PC . Andromeda OS is in it's early stage it may take a while before considering it as serious option . I'm Sharing my experience .I'm myself in India . I don't even have Spotify here . I'm currently using Google play music subscription . Which is ok .
    11-09-2017 02:01 PM
    I get why is everyone angry I was a bit myself as well though I sat here and thought well heck Windows XP is out of service and Windows Vista is out of service... Soon to be Windows 7 is out of service soon I believe... I don't see everyone getting mad about the money the spend on a OS after x y z of years that has passed.

None of us work for Microsoft and im sure they have logical reasons to close it down as they said.... Take a chill pill guys there other services from other company's. Let Groove pass in peace. It had it run now it time to go. :)
    That's not a good comparison. Windows XP and others go out of service because it has a successor. Groove going away left us with only poor alternatives. I understand services and products get cancelled but the amount of them getting cancelled in short order leaves a very bad taste in peoples mouths. Trust in any new product or service from them is at an all time low. I sure as hell am done being a beta tester for them.
    11-09-2017 02:06 PM
    Honestly, with their refocusing at play, I kind of wish they would do something about Xbox Video. We know now they want to get out of media. It is too much for them to compete on so many different fronts and to do it well. They should work out a deal with Vudu, for instance, and allow us Xbox Video adopters a way out. They didn't have to work something out for Groove users, but they did.
    Speaking of Xbox Video, I have built up a pretty good library from them thinking I'm safe with a large corporation like this. But after the announcement of Groove, I have stopped buying movies and videos from them completely. I don't even care about the weekly or holiday specials.
    11-09-2017 02:19 PM
    Switching to Pandora. I just received my new Fitbit and am able to use the Pandora service with it along with Bluetooth device connectivity. Will NOT ever trust Microsoft to deliver a consistant supported solution for my music going forward. I dont care if they offered some other service in its place. I am to the point where I want and need consistant services by a company with vision and flexibility. More and more Microsoft has dropped the ball. Don't get me wrong, some great stuff has been introduced these past couple of years...the operative word here is consistancy! Microsoft has been consistant in one area though...and that is "dropping the proverbial ball"*
    11-09-2017 03:23 PM
    I wish Microsoft had gone the whole hog when they got bored with consumers and sold Groove to Spotify. Then we could still use the vastly superior Groove ap, with one drive integration, but benefitted from Spotify's library.

The fact is that MS make the best OS for desktop and mobile, they own enterprise and gaming for the moment, but they will cease to become relevant when they pair back their consumer service lines at a time when more and more of our daily lives are going online. The enterprise driven cloud first strategy is a death knell simply because business architecture is becoming more open platform and employees can choose what hardware and OS they are comfortable with. With MS's attitude they will never compete on consumer services and I know I have to stop being a fanboy.

The thing is I don't like the other options. Apple is for people who buy Versace branded t-shirts made in Bangladesh, which leaves Google. Chrome OS and Android are weaker as platforms, and you can trust Google with your data like a fat kid with cake, but their services are unparalleled and they always will be because they are set up to succeed. I am going to give Android another go, will get stuck into Google home and speakers and as soon as steam opens on Chrome OS, MS office works there and a sensible hardware provider like HP starts building stuff for Chrome OS I am off and good riddance to Mr Nadella and his team of failure eating surrender junkies.
    11-09-2017 04:10 PM
    Totally agree with others about finding it harder and harder to trust buying into ms consumer products.
    What upsets me the most about Groove going away, is there is no other music Service with OneDrive integration. Really liked the combo of my music and the access to music I don't own. Really have no interest in uploading my collection to some other cloud Service.

Satya says he regrets not paying attention to loyal consumers, then within days they announce groove shutting down. Evidently he regrets it, but still is not learning from it.
    Aden Rossinni likes this.
    11-09-2017 04:47 PM
    Yeah. I'm not at all happy with MS anymore and they broke my back with this. I don't trust them anymore. Period. I was always loading my MS account up for movies and games but with the music death you know Movies and TV is next. I've got a nice digital library that I expect is going to go belly up next. I'm looking at VUDU or FanDango as an alternative.

Any who, I just moved to the Spotify family plan. At least there is that for the wife and kids. Not too bad with the desktop client but the full screen stuff is a horrible experience. Groove was tops with the rotating album art and I have already blasted the Spotify community about that. For anyone else that is making the move to Spotify and like that feature I recommend you get on the community feedback and light them up.

I am due in Jan for a phone upgrade. Not sure what I'm gonna do. Looking at the LG V30 or the S8+... I dunno.
    My apple 6S+ is long in the tooth and boring. I still pop my sim into my iDOl 4S once in a while for a ride and then realized the other day I cant play any music on it anymore. (Yeah I know. That last statement is a stretch but I'm a streamer and the Spotify app on the phone doesn't work.)
    11-09-2017 05:00 PM
    When I opened Spotify on Columbus Day and it said, "Let's find some music to celebrate Indigenous peoples' day" I just shook my head. The interface sucks IMO. It's not that I'm hating just because I like Groove so much.. It's just too busy and feels like a sales pitch all the time
    Aden Rossinni likes this.
    11-09-2017 05:39 PM
    Yep. Works like crap on the 950xl, HP Elite X3 as well.
    11-09-2017 05:46 PM
    Still really pissed, and reminded of it every day when I try to stream music. Spotify DOES NOT WORK on WP, and YES, I still have Windows phones and so does my entire household. We also have iPhones and Android, but DO NOT LIKE THEM. Get it Nutella, you ******* ******. Anger from GOOD customers, from LOYAL customers comes from poor/no communication, and from misleading and out right lying. You haven't done any favours to us by transferring playlists to a service that doesn't work on our phones. WTF!
    11-09-2017 05:56 PM
    Yep, it sucks but try Deezer on your Idol. That's a sweet phone.
    11-09-2017 05:59 PM
    There's only one option. Groove music is still a thing. The option is that a company buys it and does a proper job.
    11-09-2017 06:01 PM
62 123