Goodbye Groove, Hello Spotify

davidewart

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Just got the Groove update and transferred my music to Spotify. Wondering what others experience has been?

A bit of a mess for me.

I have several ripped CDs that are not in Spotify's catalogue. So those albums are either missing, or copied into individual tracks that are found on other CDs.

Using Grove to play music I own, and Spotify to stream is not a very satisfactory solution. If MS doesn't want to provide it's own separate streaming catalogue, I wish they had partnered with Spotify. (Assuming that enough money would tempt Spotify to do that)

Last edited:

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Re: Goodbye Grove, Hello Spotify

All my music is on an SD card on my phone. When i open Groove on my phone i get a message to open Groove on my PC to move my music. Nothing happens when i open on a PC, i rarely use Groove on my PC and there is no music there. Any ideas?

Twitter: @PhotographyET

davidewart

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

Goodbye "Grove". LOL. Must have been thinking of all the MS products and services I have bought that MS has trashed. That "grove" is becoming a forest.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site

I switched over yesterday as well. Even signed up for the free months. The sound quality seems to be better than groove. I still hate the design of the xbox app tho I hope they update it more

davidewart

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

Originally posted by etphoto
All my music is on an SD card on my phone. When i open Groove on my phone i get a message to open Groove on my PC to move my music. Nothing happens when i open on a PC, i rarely use Groove on my PC and there is no music there. Any ideas?

Twitter: @PhotographyET

My best guess is that you'll have to copy your SD card into a PC Music folder. Start Groove and let it run for a while as it updates it's catalogue of your music. Once that is complete, try to get it transition to Spotify.

JasonKruys

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Those that have had the update that allows them to switch their catalogue across - are you fast ring insiders? I'm keen to move across but don't have the option yet...

davidewart

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Man this is proving harder than I first thought. A lot of my albums are jazz, classical, and old time "folk." Spotify has not done a great job matching - even when the album is in its catalogue. It is taking a lot of digging to get the right albums added. And in some cases, make a playlist from "Local files" to preserve and old album.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I'm very very sad about the death of Groove. For the past 2 days, I've been trying to move things over to Spotify; The more time I spend with Spotify, the more I realize how good Groove had become. Spotify on my 950 XL seems super lame. Man - I wish Microsoft would have marketed their product more; there are so many people using a product that just seems 'meh' to me, and so few people using an amazing music app!

caresrg

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
How can I force Groove to update so that I get the transition popup? I'm on the Fast Ring, but Groove is not the version listed in the announcement blog post. When I go to Groove in the Store, it gives me the option to Launch, but not to Update.

davidewart

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
How can I force Groove to update so that I get the transition popup? I'm on the Fast Ring, but Groove is not the version listed in the announcement blog post. When I go to Groove in the Store, it gives me the option to Launch, but not to Update.

Hmm, not sure. Do you have Music Pass? I did and that may have meant getting an early roll-out. Can't suggest anything other than wait.

nycny

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
Wow, if I had read all of this before I installed Spotify on my Destop, Surface and my phone.
I have a couple tera bytes of stoage on my PC. I've used Spotify before, yet Windows Music on Mobiile aka Groove and other names was great, I played all my favorites anywhere I was. Stored all my music on OneDrive so Groove Synced my local and cloud files. Well today I'm using Spotify. I got it last week.
I really liked groove, it knew me. Sotify did sucessfuly capture all Groove playsts. There was a time delay syncing, I have alot of music. When I fired up Spotify today, there was a notice in a box next to the speaker icon. Play from any device on the sme wifi network. From my laptop, I setup my Desktop as per instructions, selected my Music folder. I can play and mix my local and Spotify music. As a big bonus, you can control which device plays the music, lets say I select on Surface and the selection plays on my computer sound system.Works with anything with the Spotify app like say your TV.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99