Then End Is Soon Upon Us... Saying Goodbye to Groove

Whodaboss

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm feeling nostalgic at the moment. Zune, Xbox Music, now Groove ... they have come and in the coming days they all will be gone for all intent and purposes. Even though I've had my issues in how Microsoft handled their music service I can't help but feel a sense of loss to a wonderful and great music program.

Zune worked so well. You didn't need a family plan, because you could download music from any one plan to other devices within your household. You only had to connect a particular device at least once within 30 days.

The ability to pay $14.99 a month and KEEP 10 songs for life was TOTALLY FRIGGIN AWESOME! I can't believe people couldn't figure that out. Even when songs were selling for $0.99 this was a great deal. But when songs started selling for $1.29 it was even BETTER! I can't believe people didn't do the math and sign on. I guess most people today just don't like to own music.

I loved the move to the name Groove. It made the music service sound rich. What I didn't like was the Icon. What the heck was that?! It wasn't anything identifiable to music at all. There are so many Turntable Icons that are awesome. The Groove Icon was and is horrific!

With the killing of Groove Microsoft just seems a tad irrelevant. Maybe that's just me. But that's what is seems to me. I've seen many great ideas from Microsoft come and go, but the departure of Zune/Xbox Music/Groove seems to have affected me the most.

Last edited:

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
While I wasn't a superfan of Groove, I do echo some of your sentiments. Every time I use Groove now, I just know that it will cease to exist soon

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
So killing off the subscription portion constitutes death? It's still a fully functional local and streaming player. I'm glad I've never had my appendix taken out then or my wife would've been on the phone with Mutual of Omaha.

Whodaboss

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
So killing off the subscription portion constitutes death? It's still a fully functional local and streaming player. I'm glad I've never had my appendix taken out then or my wife would've been on the phone with Mutual of Omaha.

Yes. I'm glad you've never had your appendix taken out. :) Dude I still run Zune and Windows Media Player on all of my computers. Groove will still function just as these do. But for all practical purposes it is dead as an official player. It's functional, but so is my Zune and Windows Media Player. So to answer your question "So killing off the subscription portion constitutes death? Answer, Yes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa