Squeeze more out of Windows 10 Camera

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Does it means when you shooting, camera is open less seconds than 30 by your count?

Yep... I counted along and the pic always seemed to finish before the set amount of time.

Is possible to fix ISO to any position (1600 for example in each shot), and try with differents ET?

I'll be out in the country this weekend and away from a lot of light pollution. I'll be sure to play with the ET settings.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I'll be buying a dslr next week to replace my stolen lumia 1020 - at least I can start experimenting with long exposures - 30 minutes :grin:

MarkoDiNatale

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I installed registry browser/editor I found as .xap file here on WindowsCentral, and when I browse for these camera related registry values on my 950, there is none of them at the given location (HKLM\Software\OEM...). I wrote manually the MaxET value as 30000000, and it was created just fine at HKLM\Software\OEM... , but when I open the Camera App, my maxET stands at 4sec.

Please tell me if I am doing something wrong, as I would really like to play with these settings :smile:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I installed registry browser/editor I found as .xap file here on WindowsCentral

Got link?

It may be an old version? Did you download and install the dependencies? Do the settings stick when you apply them? I mean, have you gone back in after closing the Interop Tolls App to verify what you added/changed is still in place?

For the freshest Interop Tools have a look at the first few posts here from the developer, gus33000: https://forum.xda-developers.com/wi...app-interop-tools-versatile-registry-t3445271

The full set of items needed for installation to ARM and for desktop are here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=71000190&postcount=607

pahor_4_ever

Mar 24, 2017
Visit site
hi, i've been playing around with the Interop tool (1.9) a bit, here are my findings.
Lumia 830 W10M (build 14393.321)
default values:
MaxET: 4s
MinIso 64
MaxIso: 3200

you can increase MaxET setting as much as you want, but the end result will always be the same - 4s.

I found out that the MinIso and MaxIso are related.
If you set MinIso value to 32 or somewhere around that value, you will indeed be able to shoot photos with that ISO value, BUT the MaxIso will automatically drop to 1600. i am talking about the actual values - properties of the picture, and NOT about the ones, that you set as max/min Iso values.
So if you fixate MinIso at 64 you can set MaxIso to 4000. Anything more than that won't increase the actual maxISO of the photos.
However, if you fixate your MaxIso at 3200, you can lower the MinIso to 50 without it affecting your MaxIso (if you go any lower, the max will automatically drop to 1600).
So it all boils down to which limit you want to push - the upper one or the bottom one. you can't have it all.

So in the end - MaxET stays the same
possible ISO ranges:
1.) 50 - 3200
2.) 64 - 4000

hope that helps :)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
hi, i've been playing around with the Interop tool (1.9) a bit, here are my findings...

default values:
MaxET: 4s
MinIso 64
MaxIso: 3200

you can increase MaxET setting as much as you want, but the end result will always be the same - 4s...

However, if you fixate your MaxIso at 3200, you can lower the MinIso to 50 without it affecting your MaxIso (if you go any lower, the max will automatically drop to 1600).
So it all boils down to which limit you want to push - the upper one or the bottom one. you can't have it all...

As I reported in post #8 and #12 of this thread it would appear that the exif is incapable of changing to fully match the new values input into the registry.

So are you basing this on exif data or side by side samples of photos taken with alternate manual settings?

pahor_4_ever

Mar 24, 2017
Visit site
i'm guessing that the exif values are correct, and not the registry values.
consider this scenario
first you set registry ISO values 50-3200 and you make photo nr.1 with ISO value fixed at 3200.
then you set registry ISO vlues 32-3200 and you make photo nr.2 with ISO value fixed at 3200.
and then you check the exif data - same exposure time but different ISO value - nr.1 will have 3200, nr.2 will have 1600.

maybe i'll try to find out what's the absolute maximum and minimum iso when i have the time.

Robbert Lucassen

Aug 10, 2017
Visit site
Re: queeze more out of Windows 10 Camera

Hi, here a survivor with a Lumia 1020 in Redstone. (14393.103).

Unfortunately, MS API is still capped to 4sec shutter exposure, no manual WB... etc (unlike several Android models like Galaxy S6, LG G4, that bring full manual controls).
After trying (with no luck) to enable DNG capture (in Windows Camera), I've realized that there are more keys in the registry which can be set for maximize the possibilities.

http://oi66.tinypic.com/11ltug8.jpg

(where MaxET sets the Exposure Time, for example).
After lot of testing, I can get a Max 8000 ISO for my Lumia. Not bad. :cool:(exceed this limit makes no sense, cause camera will limit to 3200).

http://oi66.tinypic.com/2utpyyv.jpg

Min ISOs like 64, 50 or 10 are not supported.

However, shutter speed is blocking up to 4 seconds.
It seems to be wrote a real limit in API, that is 30seconds. But for me, is still unreacheable.

http://oi63.tinypic.com/wih4h.jpg

Can someone with a newmodel -like Lumia 950- try to expand this values and post here conclusions?
Would be nice to know what is a hardware limit or a API-software limit.
Cheers,

I noticed that if you double MaxET value from 4000000 to 8000000 the frame rate of a 1080p video is going down from 30fps to 15fps. Makes sense, right? More exposure between frames, more light on the sensor. Video is crisp and has a slight jerkiness when panning to fast. Useful if you need that night-video shot with a fixed tripod mount.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte