Hp laptop on Win 8 only recognizing Bberry as SD

VictorD2

Jan 26, 2018
Visit site
I revived a nuked Blackberry 8530 on my HP Pavilion g7 laptop Win 8 and, somewhat long story short:

01. Without Desktop Manager running, laptop chimes when Bberry is attched but Safely Remove quickly appears and disappears (so I have to unSafely Remove) device
02. Same happens even with shortcut to Safely Remove prompt and no devices are listed.
03. When Desktop Manager is already running, laptop chimes when Bberry is attched Safely Remove quickly appears but only the Bberry SD card is listed.
I checked in Device Manager and the Bberry 8530 (Property, Details, System Description/Property, Safe Removal Required value is False.... so maybe that's related to the problem.Bberry 2.png

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Total cmder or JL_cmder is also a helpful tool to have in your repository if you are blackberry owner :) along with the blackberry sync client (presuming it's running Blackberry 0/S). Then again the last time I used the blackberry sync client daily was when I had a bold 9700, running a Blackberry 8900 indigo theme side loadish on the 9700. before the theme was available on the Bold series.

VictorD2

Jan 26, 2018
Visit site
From what I've read there are a few versions of JL_Cmder v1.9.0 - with and without installer then one with MyChoice.
Then there is Crackutil. I don't mind installing yet another software program but I'd rather understand the problem first.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
From what I've read there are a few versions of JL_Cmder v1.9.0 - with and without installer then one with MyChoice.
Then there is Crackutil. I don't mind installing yet another software program but I'd rather understand the problem first.

Fair enough, do you have the blackberry sync application installed?

VictorD2

Jan 26, 2018
Visit site
Fair enough, do you have the blackberry sync application installed?

If you mean Blackberry Desktop Software, yes. Along with Blackberry Master Control Program and Device Manager. But, I am sort of comfortable as it is. The (previously nuked) Bberry has been restored and have had to do it a few times since I posted this thread.

I am not that familiar with Win 8 and I have no spare PC in case I get a virus or cripple my OS from installing some related program trying to get my (only) PC to properly recognize a slowly dying antiquated Bberry.

Or might you know an easy, safe fix?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
If you mean Blackberry Desktop Software, yes. Along with Blackberry Master Control Program and Device Manager. But, I am sort of comfortable as it is. The (previously nuked) Bberry has been restored and have had to do it a few times since I posted this thread.

I am not that familiar with Win 8 and I have no spare PC in case I get a virus or cripple my OS from installing some related program trying to get my (only) PC to properly recognize a slowly dying antiquated Bberry.

Or might you know an easy, safe fix?

You can try using a virtual machine with the free windows 10 iso from Microsoft, to test out software.

I would recommend installing something like Fsecure (free trial) on the PC and the virtual machine (vmwareplayer is free) if your specs can handle it. This way you have sort of created a low end sandbox.

You can get a performance boost if your CPU supports virtualisation.

The other thing I would suggest, is to create two partiitions if you have the space. One would be the O/S partition and the other for your data.

You can move your documents by simply cut and pasting the directories into the data partition. This way if something happens, you haven't lost your data and only need to reinstall the o/s.

In regards to the blackberry, as it's been restored does it still only show the msd in the blackberry?

Also does the blackberry show up as MPT device?

VictorD2

Jan 26, 2018
Visit site
You can try using a virtual machine with the free windows 10 iso from Microsoft, to test out software.

I would recommend installing something like Fsecure (free trial) on the PC and the virtual machine (vmwareplayer is free) if your specs can handle it. This way you have sort of created a low end sandbox.

You can get a performance boost if your CPU supports virtualisation.

The other thing I would suggest, is to create two partiitions if you have the space. One would be the O/S partition and the other for your data.

You can move your documents by simply cut and pasting the directories into the data partition. This way if something happens, you haven't lost your data and only need to reinstall the o/s.

In regards to the blackberry, as it's been restored does it still only show the msd in the blackberry?

Also does the blackberry show up as MPT device?

Sorry, but, I'd rather not jeopardize my only working PC by installing even more software and making partitions etc... especially if we don't fully understand the problem.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, but, I'd rather not jeopardize my only working PC by installing even more software and making partitions etc... especially if we don't fully understand the problem.

Fair enough, VMware are an enterprise corporation so you don't need to worry about their software messing up your PC. however if you have reservations, that's totally understandable it is your PC after all :).

The partitions, yes that has a chance of causing data corruption but chances of that happening is very low. With XP it was somewhat higher than W8 and W7 as data most likely got stored at the slow side of the platter, so it would have needed to move to the front end of the drive before shrinking the OS partition.

W7 and W8 have a automatic file optimiser for faster boot times therefore are mostly placed on the front end of the platter (mechanical hard drive).

Platter placement does not matter in a SSD as there are not platters in a SSD, shrinking partitions on a ssd also has a verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry low risk of data corruption. To date I have had zero issues shrinking partitions on a ssd however I have seen data corruption occur on very low end and cheap ssds (no brand ssds).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss