Pogo pins! Maybe I can finally get a physical keyboard on a Windows 10 Phone

ayngling

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
I have tried to break my addiction to BlackBerry... I bought the Lumia 950 when it came out. It is great in every way except writing long mails and messages while moving. (A virtual keyboard for short text is fine while stationary.) I really wanted to keep using it, but about a week ago I had to throw in the towel and got a BlackBerry Priv. I still recommend the Lumia to everyone that does not _need_ a physical keyboard.

The Elite X3 has Pogo pins... so third parties can make accessories. If someone built a half-decent keyboard (it doesn't even have to be half as good as BlackBerry for me to switch), this would be my perfect phone.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
A k-board that connect ri the hardware.....right, would be a something sweet and make the phone even longer. I guess writing a long email would be the only way if one is not getting used to a virtual one.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I have tried to break my addiction to BlackBerry... I bought the Lumia 950 when it came out. It is great in every way except writing long mails and messages while moving. (A virtual keyboard for short text is fine while stationary.) I really wanted to keep using it, but about a week ago I had to throw in the towel and got a BlackBerry Priv. I still recommend the Lumia to everyone that does not _need_ a physical keyboard.

The Elite X3 has Pogo pins... so third parties can make accessories. If someone built a half-decent keyboard (it doesn't even have to be half as good as BlackBerry for me to switch), this would be my perfect phone.

Transitioning from a physical qwerty keyboard to a on-screen one takes some getting used to; I can recall how alien it felt when I moved from the omnia b7610 (with the landscape sliding qwerty keyboard) to my L920. But now I can easily type ridiculously long novels err i mean emails If I wanted to and pretty quickly. Unfortunately... It's still a tad to quick as by the the time I realise I've already typed a chapter lol. It was worse before I'd have typed several chapters but no one likes to read a wall of text so have really cut down :).

anbercrombie

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Im tired of people telling me how it takes "getting used to"

Everything in life can be trained with some muscle memory and practice.

That's not the issue.

A touch screen keyboard will never be as efficient a way to type and if fast, long text is needed then no I don't need to get used to the less efficient option; the market needs to offer a solution.

Any idea how realistic this pogo solution is?

D.A.

ayngling

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
Transitioning from a physical qwerty keyboard to a on-screen one takes some getting used to.

I agree wholeheartedly with anbercrombie. I bought the first iPhone once it came out, and bought every new iPhone until the iPhone 5s, when I switched to a BlackBerry Z10 (still all touch) and then a BlackBerry Q10, that has physical keys. I would claim I was as good a virtual typist as I would ever be. Trust me, physical keys has a lot more going for them than most people think :)

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Im tired of people telling me how it takes "getting used to"

Everything in life can be trained with some muscle memory and practice.

That's not the issue.

A touch screen keyboard will never be as efficient a way to type and if fast, long text is needed then no I don't need to get used to the less efficient option; the market needs to offer a solution.

Any idea how realistic this pogo solution is?

D.A.

That is what I meant by getting used to ... lol as after all practice makes perfect.

I agree wholeheartedly with anbercrombie. I bought the first iPhone once it came out, and bought every new iPhone until the iPhone 5s, when I switched to a BlackBerry Z10 (still all touch) and then a BlackBerry Q10, that has physical keys. I would claim I was as good a virtual typist as I would ever be. Trust me, physical keys has a lot more going for them than most people think :)

I am aware about what physical keyboards bring which is why I am want something like the HTC Tp2 running WM10. When the HTC TP7 got released I was about to purchase one however after I found out WP7 was running on the CE kernel, it went from a must buy to something that needed more research and time. As it was only natural for Microsoft to transition to the NT kernel; they have been going on about the three screens and the cloud for years.

ayngling

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
they have been going on about the three screens and the cloud for years

I am changing the topic, I know, but man I do love this strategy, letting a single OS adapt to the setting. Continuum is fantastic, both when removing the keyboard from my Surface (making my laptop a tablet), and when connecting my 950 to a display dock (making my phone a desktop).

As an app developer it is even more fantastic, letting me develop the common parts once, all the code communicating with the server, the storing to local disk, etc etc (70% to 90%). Then I just need to code separate layouts for the screens. Do I want phone? Add some layout code. TV (xbox)? Add some layout code. Desktop? Tablet? No problem.

Microsoft buying Xamarin a few months ago was brilliant, now I can do the exact same thing with iOS and Android apps too. Just use my existing code (which is already tested, so less risk of bugs), and add layout code for each device, even including iWatch, Apple TV, Android TV and Android Wear.

I can now build a single app, with different layouts, running on iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, iWatch, Android phones, Android tablets, Android Wear, Android TV, Mac desktop, Win10 desktop, Win10 phones, Win10 tablets, Surface Hub and Xbox. Now that, is truly a revolution. Most app developers have not realized this yet. When they catch on, realizing how much time and money they can save, we'll see a lot more apps on Win10 phones.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Agreed, one feature I miss from older phones. I had a HTC Touch Pro 2 (WM 6.1), with a QWERTY keyboard on it... I could type an entire email including the tabs to other fields and be 98% right, with out looking at the phone once. I miss that feature a lot... far quicker to type on than a screen.

Try to even be CLOSE to that on a touch screen...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb