The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
10-11-2016 04:00 PM
37 12
tools
    hp_case.jpg

(Picture taken with my 950xl and downsized using GIMP.)

I opted for the rugged case after what happened to my son's Note 7 last week.

cs-exuvukaaiyrn.jpg
    09-27-2016 06:33 PM
    Looks Good, Note 7 did take a mighty fall. Is that note 7 a replacement?
    09-28-2016 04:12 AM
    Note 7 fell not quite two feet onto my son's bed post. He was taking it out of the case.

He turned it in (because of the battery issue) and is now driving a S7. He won't go with Windows mainly because of SnapChat and a few VR apps he uses for school.

Sent from mTalk
    09-28-2016 08:30 AM
    Nice! You might call that putting the cart before the horse, but I love it :)

Same thing has happened to me many times, so excited for a new phone (or whatever it is), I buy up the accessories before I even have it :)
    TechFreak1 and RumoredNow like this.
    09-28-2016 08:31 AM
    lol

Not quite line that. I ordered the device in August but have t received it yet. I also ordered the case about a week ago.

Supposedly the device will show up tonight

Sent from mTalk
    bunky1971, libra89 and TechFreak1 like this.
    09-28-2016 09:03 AM
    Can you post a review of the rugged case (and maybe more pics?) once you use it with the phone? I'm hopefully going to be ordering one of these within the next week or two, and I was thinking of getting this case as well (not a fan of folio cases).
    Last edited by Ryan Smith23; 10-06-2016 at 06:28 PM.
    09-28-2016 03:57 PM
    Sweet case! Got a link?

I'd like a review as well.
    libra89 likes this.
    09-28-2016 06:24 PM
    Ouch! What a brutal crack!
    09-28-2016 08:21 PM
    Note 7 fell not quite two feet onto my son's bed post. He was taking it out of the case.

He turned it in (because of the battery issue) and is now driving a S7. He won't go with Windows mainly because of SnapChat and a few VR apps he uses for school.

Sent from mTalk
    So basically the Note 7 did a kamikaze dive... "freeeedooom"
    mary beth hale likes this.
    09-28-2016 08:38 PM
    Yes, the Note 7 took a short dive, and is now gone. At least it didn't blow up before we returned it. Amazing that that crack came from a two-foot drop. But then, I'm not sure what they were smoking by making a device out of glass. His replacement - a crappy S7 using TouchWiz - also seems to have a glass case.

The new EliteX3 arrived today. I've not done much except update it. There is actually a power brick with it. Go figure.

Will start playing tomorrow.

hp_elitex3_update_14393.jpg
    09-28-2016 09:04 PM
    The SIM card is driving me nuts. I have a T-Mobile and AT&T SIM, and it is seemingly impossible to get it in. I then couldnt' get the SIM card tray back out. Ugh!

hp_elitex3_sim_card.jpg

Other than that, all is well. The AU took effect, though I'm tempted to go insider (I've been running fast ring on my 950xl since December.) and am going to check out this fingerprint. My case is out in the truck and I'm too lazy to go get it.
    09-28-2016 10:22 PM
    The SIM card is driving me nuts. I have a T-Mobile and AT&T SIM, and it is seemingly impossible to get it in. I then couldnt' get the SIM card tray back out. Ugh!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hp_elitex3_sim_card.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	130818

Other than that, all is well. The AU took effect, though I'm tempted to go insider (I've been running fast ring on my 950xl since December.) and am going to check out this fingerprint. My case is out in the truck and I'm too lazy to go get it.
    Hmm, is the sim tray keyed?

Also how big is the power brick?

I just hope it's not too large, the coil whine will drive me potty .
    RumoredNow likes this.
    09-29-2016 05:44 AM
    Yeah, those doggone trays are fiddly. They really are not for user who swap SIM or SD a lot. Did you have to use an adapter on a SIM?
    09-29-2016 09:38 AM
    Power brick is similar to a laptop one. Cord for wall, brick, then cord for adapter.

I still can't get the second sim to recognize.

Also having an issue where the screen turns off immediately when I put the device down.
    09-29-2016 11:46 AM
    Power brick is similar to a laptop one. Cord for wall, brick, then cord for adapter.
    If possible can you post a photo?

I still can't get the second sim to recognize.
    Try placing a msd card into the second slot (the second slot doubles as a msd card slot) and see if that is recognized.

Also having an issue where the screen turns off immediately when I put the device down.
    Hmm, is double tap to wake turned off or on?
    RumoredNow likes this.
    09-29-2016 03:37 PM
    Can you get a side by side with his galaxy for size comparison?
    09-29-2016 03:52 PM
    @TechFreak1 - I need to find an msd. I stopped using them awhile ago, because they keep dying. I did swap the SIM cards. I put my T-Mobile SIM in slot two and AT&T in slot 1. It seems that the device is only recognizing slot 1. Wonder if there's a setting.

I fixed the issue with the screen going off. Yes, DTTW was on. Seems HP made DTTW not the same way as Lumia/Microsoft. I turned it off and now my screen does not go dark when I put it down. Was horrid driving in because Waze wouldn't work in my truck.

I'll post photos of the brick and the side-by-side as soon as possible
    09-29-2016 05:36 PM
    I'll see about a comparison between the S7 and Elite X3 later. Sad his Note 7 cracked, because it was a decent device - for android. Still suffered from the crappy UI, but nice and fast.

Here's the promised case. I put it on this afternoon. Very slim and not bulky at all. The Elite X3 is slightly thinner than my 1520, so it is easier to hold. One-handed use is absolutely not an issue. While I liked the 5.7" size of my 950xl, this does not feel too big at all. Love the screen real estate.

wp_20160929_19_52_36_pro.jpg

wp_20160929_19_52_48_pro.jpg

Of course, I have to show off the desk dock. I was a little disappointed. Turns out the dock has a display port connection. I cannot stand all these monitor types - HDMI, Display Port, Mini HDMI, DVI - they drive me nuts. In any case, I quickly setup the desk dock and connected to one of my 27" monitors at work. I was able to do the usual in Continuunm, but most importantly will use this when I'm working over at my second desk to remote into my Surface Pro, nicely docked in my office. This will save me from having to carry the Surface Pro around.

wp_20160929_17_44_13_pro.jpg
    09-29-2016 10:27 PM
    Here's the side-by-side of the S7 and X3. Just touching the S7 made me cringe with it's glass case.

wp_20160929_20_45_05_pro.jpg
    09-29-2016 11:43 PM
    Did you manage to get the second SIM working as I can't! I've tested the SIM in other phones and it's OK. If I swap them round it's the same SIM (in the other position) that's recognised.

Very strange.
    09-30-2016 08:57 AM
    @TechFreak1 - I need to find an msd. I stopped using them awhile ago, because they keep dying. I did swap the SIM cards. I put my T-Mobile SIM in slot two and AT&T in slot 1. It seems that the device is only recognizing slot 1. Wonder if there's a setting.
    Interesting it may be a setting however only way to be certain is to check using a msd card. Also try placing some tape on the backside of the sim to increase thickness of the sim as it may be a contact issue - If the card and msd card is not read that may mean the second slot may be faulty...

I fixed the issue with the screen going off. Yes, DTTW was on. Seems HP made DTTW not the same way as Lumia/Microsoft. I turned it off and now my screen does not go dark when I put it down. Was horrid driving in because Waze wouldn't work in my truck.
    I believe they used the accelorameter + gyroscope (I could be wrong) to implement their method of DTTW which to me would explain why it goes a bit loopy when you put the phone down.

I'll post photos of the brick and the side-by-side as soon as possible
    Thanks!
    09-30-2016 11:26 AM
    Here's a video showing the desk dock and the brick.

Setting Up the HP Elite x3 Desk Dock | HP Video Gallery
    TechFreak1 likes this.
    09-30-2016 02:41 PM
    Just spoke to HP.

They said the second SIM slot can be "tricky" but that it should work. I found a 32GB microSD and popped it in. No response.

Need to open a ticket.

UNFORTUNATELY, the website doesn't want to recognize the serial number of my device.
    09-30-2016 03:36 PM
    Was using the continuum all day today. Works flawlessly. Of course, most of the work is by using Remote Destkop into my Surface Pro.

Here's a picture of the power brick next to my desk dock for a size comparison.

screenshot408.jpg
    09-30-2016 05:32 PM
    Here's a video showing the desk dock and the brick.

Setting Up the HP Elite x3 Desk Dock | HP Video Gallery
    Thanks, looks to be a recent upload wasn't there awhile ago .

I was dreading it would be as large a laptop adapter lol, thankfully it is not.

In regards to the msd card, have you tried place some tape on the back of it to elevate the card a few mm?
    10-02-2016 09:23 AM
37 12