HP Dock connectivity is lacking

The_Bard

May 12, 2016
Visit site
After being disappointed with the regular Microsoft Phone Dock, I was even more perplexed by the HP Elite X3 dock.

It has a USB-C connector on it for connecting to a PC, however the data connections do not go through to the phone! So you cannot transfer files from a PC to the phone with the dock. This makes no sense, as that's what its on your desk to do. Be useful. Not to sit there while your phone is connected to a cable on its own.

Being intrepid, I opened the dock and thought I'd hack the connectors together and make it useful, but HP encapsulated the USB-Connections.

Does anyone have a theory as to why Microsoft nor HP docks connect like a cable?

The HP dock has a network connection, but you can't get files via the network. It doesn't appear on the network. It has Wifi capability but you cant get files using wifi other than through a cloud provider. And it's full size DisplayPort connector will NOT work with an DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, whereas Microsoft's will. This all seems rather lousy and poorly thought out to me.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
It has a USB-C connector on it for connecting to a PC, however the data connections do not go through to the phone! So you cannot transfer files from a PC to the phone with the dock. This makes no sense, as that's what .

Type-C does not mean it's there "to connect to a PC", which frankly would be odd for a device that is supposed to act like a PC. Type-C, in this case, is more likely used for Type-C accessories that HP sells e.g. their Type-C to HDMI cable or Type-C to USB-Type A.

Type-C is a weird connector. It can be just a USB, it can do optionally do high-speed charging, it can also optionally act like a full spec'd Thunderbolt 3 connector. However, all of that is "extra", which is why you find some devices it's just for connections.

And it's full size DisplayPort connector will NOT work with an DisplayPort to HDMI adapter

Why use an adapter? I just use an DP-HDMI cable, which works just fine. Again, like Type C DP is weird and your adapter may not be the right DP adapter. The cable I linked works just fine for TVs and PCs as it's what I use with the Elite x3.

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Simply put, the x3 IS the computer here. USB doesn't let you connect multiple computers together. USB requires a host device (the computer, in this case the x3) and then devices can connect to this host.

The Desk Dock is intended as an extension to the device.
You can plug USB drives and other USB accessories into the dock, much like how you would plug them into a desktop or laptop.

For transferring files between the x3 and another computer, you can use USB drives, transfer over the internet (email, OneDrive), or use the USB-C to USB-A cable (which will configure the x3 as an external drive for connecting to another computer).

As for Ethernet, windows on mobile doesn't support the same network discovery and file sharing features as windows on desktop.
All of HP's business products use DisplayPort instead of HDMI as that is the standard for commercial products. Adapters should work fine though, I can't test this right now but I have used DP-HDMI adapters with other HP docks. I don't know why yours isnt working, maybe try a different cable/adapter/display to isolate where the problem is.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
What is it you're trying to accomplish? Syncing data between the x3 and another computer while the x3 is docked? I used to use the sharefolder explorer app over my wifi. It supports a couple different protocols even samba.

Sent from my phone

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720