Who's Planning to Get an HP Elite x3

todd7900

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Well, at the beginning of this thread I commented that I was going to pause on a 950xl purchase till after WMC. Now that WMC has come and gone, I am going to go ahead with the 950 purchase. While the Elite X3 is a beast of a device, I think it is going to be ungodly expensive. That and since it will be a strictly personal device (My company doesn't now and never will allow BYOD) many of the features are kind of lost on me. This tech is a dream for enterprise IT and individuals that have pretty basic computing needs, but I need a little more power in a laptop.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Already pre-ordered mine via contract written in my own blood at HP headquarters. Oddly enough they didn't call security or anything. They applauded my enthusiasm.

Jamie Weston

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
Will be buying this the second it goes on sale in the UK, will no doubt pick up the extender and dock as well if they offer all three for a decent price

kmalone43

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Noob question. What would one lose out on by going with an HP device instead of a Lumia? Still able to get +Here Maps? Any other notable apps that one might miss out on? Really thought it was Lumia or die when it came to WP. Am I mistaken? Currently a 3 year 1520 owner btw.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Noob question. What would one lose out on by going with an HP device instead of a Lumia? Still able to get +Here Maps? Any other notable apps that one might miss out on? Really thought it was Lumia or die when it came to WP. Am I mistaken? Currently a 3 year 1520 owner btw.

Lumia Firmware does account for some niceties. But they need not be exclusive. It depends on how much effort HP puts into the firmware.

We've yet to see many high end models from non-Lumia OEM's as a broad release...

Because this is HP's first smart phone since 2011, it should be "dressed to impress" if they want to sustain an audience.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

Although I have had a 1520 for the last few years, my previous phone that ran Windows was considered by many to have been one of the best ever and that was the HTC HD2, a real pleasure to own even though I was using Windows 6.5 on it and only gave it up when the 1520 became available in the UK (I still charge it up and turn it on every few months out of affection for it).

My problem is I am not 100% sure my 1520 will last another 6 months, so what do I do, buy a 650 to tide me over, or get a 950 and use that to replace my wife's 830 when the HP comes out, although I am still open to being swayed to other makers or devices, depending on what comes to market this year.

But my plan is to replace my phone and small tablet, being left with a desktop, SP3, Xbox One and an high end phone running 10 (HP winning so far)

Florin_Anghel

Banned
Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Why are you people makings plans to buy HP Elite X3 when it's not going to be a consumer device? Meaning you will not be able to buy it.
According to some sources, the phone will be available only to business that are willing to try to virtualization app solution supported by HP. They will not sell the phone to normal users because that would not help them shape the virtualization platform they are working on for continuum and stuff.
So all you guys making plans, you will be disappointed cause you will not be able to buy it, unless you subscribe to HP virtualization platform (btw, subscription to virtualization costs money)

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
If I didn't have the 950XL I would get this in a heart beat. Best part is it will be running 64-bit version of windows mobile. I'm sure MS is working with HP to get is super optimized. Wish they allowed 950xl users to wipe their phone to 64-bit version via WDRT. Though there's risks of BSOD and other issues.

Edit: I should note that the reason I assume it will be 64-bit is due to the 4 gigs of ram. In essence it would only allow the use of 3.5gigs if it runs 32-bit. Unless of course it supports PAE. It's also why the lumia 950xl came with the highest ram supported which is 3 gigs.

MS did say it has plans and HP stated that the release will be released once the software is ready. So that's why it is coming out with anniversary update. But there's many factors that can come into play with ram limitations.

Last edited:

Adjaero Pascal

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Why are you people makings plans to buy HP Elite X3 when it's not going to be a consumer device? Meaning you will not be able to buy it.
According to some sources, the phone will be available only to business that are willing to try to virtualization app solution supported by HP. They will not sell the phone to normal users because that would not help them shape the virtualization platform they are working on for continuum and stuff.
So all you guys making plans, you will be disappointed cause you will not be able to buy it, unless you subscribe to HP virtualization platform (btw, subscription to virtualization costs money)

lol NO! This phone can be bought directly from the HP website once it releases. I was completely assured I could order online or through a phone call. I am a non business Hp customer

Adjaero Pascal

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
If I didn't have the 950XL I would get this in a heart beat. Best part is it will be running 64-bit version of windows mobile. I'm sure MS is working with HP to get is super optimized. Wish they allowed 950xl users to wipe their phone to 64-bit version via WDRT. Though there's risks of BSOD and other issues.

Edit: I should note that the reason I assume it will be 64-bit is due to the 4 gigs of ram. In essence it would only allow the use of 3.5gigs if it runs 32-bit. Unless of course it supports PAE. It's also why the lumia 950xl came with the highest ram supported which is 3 gigs.

MS did say it has plans and HP stated that the release will be released once the software is ready. So that's why it is coming out with anniversary update. But there's many factors that can come into play with ram limitations.

Don't know about 64-bit but I seriously doubt that. There hasn't been much talk about that but the OS might gain 64-bit support pretty soon

Eric De Wildt

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
I am an Android developer and I am moving to Windows uwp development because of this phone. I am going buy both docks and use the phone to run visual studio in the cloud. I remember the surface engineers using surfaces to design new surfaces and this is how I feel about this device. It represents to me the full package. I can't wait to see what sleeves are made for utilizing the Pogo pins, maybe a camera sleeve that has dedicated camera features.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo