Who's Planning to Get an HP Elite x3

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
The x3 sounds interesting, can't wait to try one out. Nice to know there's a great phone just around the corner, as my Icon won't last forever.

anon(9072051)

Jul 4, 2016
Visit site
Is anyone else worried about the fact that this is going to be an HP phone, or am I the only one who hates their desktops?

The Elite X3 looks fantastic on paper. In fact, it's the only device I've heard of that could actually replace my Nexus 6. I really want to like this phone, and I can't wait to read reviews of the thing. But.

1. HP has never established itself as any kind of a player in the smartphone market. Quite the contrary, in fact, given the Palm fiasco.
2. HP has been steadily losing ground to Asus and Lenovo for the past few years in the consumer desktop/laptop market.
3. HP has split and merged divisions twice in the past 6 months, so just how fit are they to jump into the smartphone market at any level?

rambo47

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
The 950 and 950 XL can technically work on some of VZ's network however from what I've seen posted here, VZ is intentionally blocking them from their network.

Verizon blocks ANY phone that cannot access ALL of their network frequencies. And as far as the Lumia 950 goes, Microsoft never got FCC certification for the CDMA bands. Verizon is not blocking it - Microsoft is required to lock down CDMA even though the hardware is capable. It's a baseband lock so there is no trick to root and unlock it. And Verizon currently sells several WP devices.

It's up to HP to include the CDMA hardware and to obtain FCC certification. If HP does this, Verizon will support it on their network.

JM_Thomas

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Verizon blocks ANY phone that cannot access ALL of their network frequencies. And as far as the Lumia 950 goes, Microsoft never got FCC certification for the CDMA bands. Verizon is not blocking it - Microsoft is required to lock down CDMA even though the hardware is capable. It's a baseband lock so there is no trick to root and unlock it. And Verizon currently sells several WP devices.

It's up to HP to include the CDMA hardware and to obtain FCC certification. If HP does this, Verizon will support it on their network.

Sorry, but all of 2 phones doesn't really qualify as "several WP devices", both of which are good mid-level phones, but are barely even acknowledged by VZW.

All VZW wants to push is Apple and Samsung Android, with phones that haven't really innovated much in the last 2 or 3 years. Why else would the Apple 6SE mean "Sucker Edititon"?

I have a Samsung ATIV SE WP8.1 phone I upgraded to Win10 Mobile and it will smoke any Galaxy S4 out there, both in battery life, and in performance. VZW was stupid and short sited with that WP phone, just like normal.

It is a great device and I plan on keeping it even if I do get the HP x3, hopefully also on VZW. AT&T isn't covering my home area yet, though they are moving in gradually.

redmisfitx

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I would pick it up if I didn't have my 950XL, but the price is a bit high for not including any accessories, I do realize its geared for enterprise, but the dock should've have been included with the device.

rambo47

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Sorry, but all of 2 phones doesn't really qualify as "several WP devices", both of which are good mid-level phones, but are barely even acknowledged by VZW.

All VZW wants to push is Apple and Samsung Android, with phones that haven't really innovated much in the last 2 or 3 years. Why else would the Apple 6SE mean "Sucker Edititon"?

I have a Samsung ATIV SE WP8.1 phone I upgraded to Win10 Mobile and it will smoke any Galaxy S4 out there, both in battery life, and in performance. VZW was stupid and short sited with that WP phone, just like normal.

It is a great device and I plan on keeping it even if I do get the HP x3, hopefully also on VZW. AT&T isn't covering my home area yet, though they are moving in gradually.

Verizon isn't being "stupid." They're going by the numbers, plain and simple. There is little/no cost-benefit to supporting a platform that has such a minuscule market share. Verizon will carry ANYthing that sells as much as Samsungs and iPhones. They're not selling a lot of Windows Phones because nobody wants them. Just like BlackBerry. Is Verizon being short sighted by not carrying BlackBerrys in their stores?

It's all about the numbers.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Verizon isn't being "stupid." They're going by the numbers, plain and simple. There is little/no cost-benefit to supporting a platform that has such a minuscule market share. Verizon will carry ANYthing that sells as much as Samsungs and iPhones. They're not selling a lot of Windows Phones because nobody wants them. Just like BlackBerry. Is Verizon being short sighted by not carrying BlackBerrys in their stores?

It's all about the numbers.

Huh? They are supporting Windows 10 mobile now, with the Icon and 735. What support is needed by adding another phone? A phone that is probably going to be sold by HP so Verizon doesn't have to carry it.

Sent from my Surface 3

realbart

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

As a European I never quite understood: why do Americans let their phone companies decide what phones they can use? It's like the electricity company telling me they don't support led light.

OT: I just ordered an HP Elite X3, with the desktop dock.

I'm pretty sure I'll just use the dock a few times, but you never know.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
As a European I never quite understood: why do Americans let their phone companies decide what phones they can use? It's like the electricity company telling me they don't support led light.

OT: I just ordered an HP Elite X3, with the desktop dock.

I'm pretty sure I'll just use the dock a few times, but you never know.

Not sure I understand this statement. As an American I have a choice on what cellular company to choose from, Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, etc

Its up to the cellular company to decide on what phone will work on their network (or the phone manufactures) . If company "A" doesn't support my phone I have the freedom to choose another company. Sadly, because of the market share of Windows Mobile the cellular companies don't really care on what company I or others choose. lol

Sent from my Surface 3

realbart

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Not sure I understand this statement. As an American I have a choice on what cellular company to choose from, Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, etc

Its up to the cellular company to decide on what phone will work on their network (or the phone manufactures) . If company "A" doesn't support my phone I have the freedom to choose another company. Sadly, because of the market share of Windows Mobile the cellular companies don't really care on what company I or others choose. lol

Over here there in the Netherlands we have four providers (KPN, Vodafone, T-Mobile and Tele2), each with their own network. Beside these four, there are a bunch of phone companies buying network use on wholesale and reselling it to consumers.

All four networks use the same technology, so they all support all phones. About ten years ago, phones used to be "simlocked", artaficially binding it to one phone company, but they're not allowed to do that anymore. Any new phone works on any network. So selecting a phone provider is basically done by comparing 4g-coverage and price. If I want to switch to a different phone company, or if I buy a new phone, I don't have to worry my Phone won't work.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Can someone help me understand what I read on Reddit last night?? There was an AMA with an HP employee who had been using the X3. He said that W10M on the X3 was 32 Bit, and that it took up 3.5 of the 4 Gigs of memory. Does that mean that we'll only have .5 Gigs of memory to work with??? Sorry, but I'm ignorant to this info.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
e87ec49a98e2e44a3cc2cff476ce64db.jpg

Wpbass

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I think I'm going to (eventually) get an HP Elite X3. I'll probably wait til November when my Lumia 830 is paid off (got sick of waiting for the big Lumia Camera update to roll out to the AT&T model, bought a refurb Lumia 1520 in green for $180!). There's a lot about this device that has piqued my interest - front-facing speakers, Qi-charging, quick charging, Continuum, etc. - but I'll be very interested in using both the Iris-scanning and fingerprint reader for unlocking the device. I'll use the fingerprint reader most of the year, but it gets a bit chilly in Wisconsin during winter, and using the iris scanner will be one less reason to take off my gloves/mittens!

And it had occurred to me a bit later after the original announcement of the device, but I had been a fan of the HP Pre 2/Pixi/Touchpad of the bygone webOS days, so I can only imagine the Elite X3 may retain a few similarities - obviously not the slow processors! :cool:

I think might spring for the desk dock bundle, but I might pass on the Mobile Extender, especially if it is priced at $500. Don't get me wrong, the specs seem fantastic for it...but I'll put that money toward a Surface Pro!

JM_Thomas

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Looking at that Akyumen phablet, that actually looks kind of interesting, especially running Win10 Desktop. Now I have two things to add to my Xmas list. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99