10-18-2016 01:23 PM
126 12345 ...
tools
    There is another problem, with the way it dock and keep those pin live you can't put a case on. And that is very important to a lot of people.
    Not true. The Desk Dock supports the Elite XC3 with or without a case.
    From HP press Release....
    HP News -*HP Inc. Reinvents Computing With Next Gen Mobility Platform
    ---------------------------------------------------
    The Desk Dock offers a full featured desktop experience for the Elite x3. It includes a DisplayPort for external monitor support, two USB-A and a USB-C connection for business continuity, and wired Ethernet to seamlessly scale users' productivity at their desk. The Elite x3 docks in portrait mode at a comfortable viewing angle when sitting at a desk. The dock also supports the Elite x3 with and without a protective case.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    02-22-2016 04:03 PM
    Consumers will be able to purchase the HP Elite x3

"The HP Elite x3 will be sold a variety of ways. On hp.com, via distributor/VARs (indirect/direct channels), the HP sales force and Microsoft will sell this in the carrier channels on our behalf. In some countries, HP Elite x3 may also be sold by partner operators sales network. For more details, visit hp.com."
    02-22-2016 04:23 PM
    what is ois?
    OIS is Optical Image Stabilization
    Alain_A likes this.
    02-22-2016 05:20 PM
    OIS is not that important if the camera is fast enough.
    For stills - yes, not so important if sensor is really fast and the lenses have wide aperture, but for video it really helps to keep steady shot.

For me, OIS is a must since I have L830, but I could live without dedicated camera button. There's even an advantage when this button is missing - it's easier to put the phone in 3rd party car holder.
    Joe920 likes this.
    02-23-2016 02:21 AM
    Those 2 are absolutely not a problem for me.
    My 1520 doesn't have replaceable battery and it has never bothered me. And it will be less of a bother with the mammoth battery power like that in the 3X. Besides, it couldn't have water/dust proofing if the battery were replaceable, and I'd rather have those.
    I'm not a photography aficionado, but I like taking pictures with my 1520 for things like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and I find myself using the dedicated camera button less and less, except to bring out the camera app. So I'm sure I can get used to 'no dedicated camera button' real quick.
    Last edited by Tips_y; 02-23-2016 at 05:38 AM.
    02-23-2016 05:27 AM
    For stills - yes, not so important if sensor is really fast and the lenses have wide aperture, but for video it really helps to keep steady shot.

For me, OIS is a must since I have L830, but I could live without dedicated camera button. There's even an advantage when this button is missing - it's easier to put the phone in 3rd party car holder.
    Yea I could not deal with a lack of OIS, had it since the Lumia 920 and it prevents most of the blurry pics I used to take.

Kind of a bummer if this phone had

Dedicated Camera button
    Removeable battery
    Glance Feature
    OIS

It would probably be a near perfect phone pretty much maxing out every spec possible in a phone right now. I understand the lack of removeable battery due to it being water/dust proof but the other issues are deal breakers.
    02-23-2016 07:07 AM
    OIS seems to be one of the additions that was not included on the devices shown so far (like the fingerprint scanner), at least according to Pocketnow's coverage of the device.
    drjekel_mrhyde likes this.
    02-23-2016 08:39 AM
    Enterprise's don't care about a camera button (and I don't either honestly), only Photo centric phones are going to have that any longer...otherwise, that ship has sailed.

They also don't care about a removable battery...if its truly a corporate issued device, and one has a bad battery, they'll just cue up another one and swap the phone out and return the bad one on their service contract. No corporation is going to have their guys tearing these apart...they're tools to make money. Camera is a useful business tool as well, we use ours for OneNote to our private cloud so we can share whiteboard notes from meetings, etc.

Glance has zero draw for me...frankly, don't even want it, I find it to be a gimmick.

If its truly an enterprise device, they're spot on.
    02-23-2016 09:01 AM
    It would not have taken much effort to add those missing items. Enterprise use doesn't mean that it shouldn't have these little items that people have come accustomed to and it doesn't mean that enterprise users won't use the phone when they are not at work.

I think it is selling this phone short that it did not include these things which would be little effort but would bring it to full flagship status.
    02-23-2016 10:01 AM
    what is ois?
    Little motors that move your camera sensor to counteract your shaky unreliable hands to gain the ability to have longer exposure by one or two stops for a picture without blur and good low light performance.
    Alain_A likes this.
    02-23-2016 11:01 AM
    While this phone isn't perfect it does seem to be exactly what the platform needs. An exciting flagship phone that has people talking and isn't built by MS.
    Kevin Rush and ayngling like this.
    02-23-2016 11:32 AM
    Why make a 6 inch phone and not give it pen support. Sigh, i'll just never understand it I suppose
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    02-23-2016 11:52 AM
    Way too big for a lot of business people--think road warriors. They use their phones 90% of the time as mobile communication devices and need something that easily fits into a pocket and can be used one handed when dragging luggage through an airport. I'm not sure I see the advantages except in some niche scenarios. If you need to carry around a device that is a fake laptop, why not carry the real thing since there are many that are very small and light and still much more powerful than any phone. That gives you two independent devices, so one is a backup in case the other dies and saves you having to pair the devices, etc. Plus, IT departments aren't wild about the idea of people carrying their computers around with them in the first place, especially when eating out or in a bar after work.

Someone has already made this suggestion so I cant take credit but, Imagine a world where the "fake laptop" is already set up at the airport or your local starbucks "with all the fixins" (keyboard mouse charger etc) and all you have to do is plug your phone into this "shell"!! Talk about game changing innovation! I think Microsoft and its partners, in this case HP, are ABSOLUTELY on the right track! good job I say!
    02-23-2016 12:00 PM
    I don't like removable battery. it makes the design of the phone clumsy. as you can noted nowadays many well designed laptops can't change battery for the sake of good looking.
    02-23-2016 07:59 PM
    For Windows Phones with no physical camera button, how do we wake up the camera app from standby mode?
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    02-23-2016 09:36 PM
    With these other manufacturers coming on line I hope this gives MS the incentive to make their apps on windows platform as good as it is on other platforms. OM's will demand this I think.
    Kevin Rush and dorelse like this.
    02-23-2016 10:07 PM
    Sounds like a great phone except for no glance and the fact that dual-sim phones don't work with visual voicemail.
    02-23-2016 10:26 PM
    I guess Enterprise Customers are not allowed to express their opinion in this forum than?
    Marko is correct. If you were an enterprise stakeholder and had anything to do with the x3, you would be giving your opinion to HP. Most of the people who use this phone will be using it for business purposes only, if it ever gets to large-scale distribution at all.
    02-24-2016 03:35 AM
    I guess we can sack this sub forum than. Also Businesses are not a small scale distribution for WM
    02-24-2016 05:41 AM
    Working in IT at a small manufacturing business this is what I see. They don't give a crap about the details of the camera. As long as it takes decent pictures. Most don't even use the camera for business purposes. They don't care about a removable battery. They don't want to carry a bunch of small accessories to make things work. That includes chargers, batteries, or small docks to make your phone into a PC. (They rather have a laptop they can just flip open and turn on without having to set things up) They like a phone that has wireless charging so they can set it down on a mat at the airport and have it charge. They want the apps to check flights from all the airlines and major hotel apps. Most of which Windows Phone (mobile) does not have. That being said my company is with Verizon which doesn't even have any Windows phone. Because of this the few people that did have a Windows phone now do not. Maybe things are different in bigger enterprises but now there are many small businesses out there.
    Saikat Halder and TheRadBear like this.
    02-24-2016 07:47 AM
    very well said. phones are good but MS is not making new apps
    02-24-2016 10:27 AM
    Imagine a world where the "fake laptop" is already set up at the airport or your local starbucks "with all the fixins" (keyboard mouse charger etc) and all you have to do is plug your phone into this "shell."
    Yeah, and I imagine the real world where the "fake laptop" at the airport or Starbucks will be stolen, broken, missing a key or two, with a keyboard covered with old coffee residue, and three people waiting in line to use it. No business person would ever take the chance that the equipment would be there and in working order. They would still have to carrier all the crap to make it work because you never know what you will encounter. Even when visiting high-tech offices I carry spare ethernet cables, HDMI cables, adaptors, a power supply, a mouse, etc. even when carrying a laptop because you can't count on anything being there and in working order when you need it. For that matter, you can't count on the stuff being there in our office building in rooms that are supposed to have the stuff!
    Jeddic likes this.
    02-24-2016 10:57 AM
    This only works if airports and coffee shops actually spend the cash to put these in place. And why would they? For an OS that has a tiny market share?

Don't forgot Motorola tried the 'dock your phone into a dumb laptop' and that didn't work too well.
    02-24-2016 01:03 PM
    This only works if airports and coffee shops actually spend the cash to put these in place. And why would they? For an OS that has a tiny market share?

Don't forgot Motorola tried the 'dock your phone into a dumb laptop' and that didn't work too well.
    Had one, loved the Lapdock...the OS was its downfall. Have baked, crashed a lot and the prices they asked for them was what killed them. The idea was solid, the accountants ruined it.
    fatclue_98 and ayngling like this.
    02-24-2016 01:42 PM
    Had one, loved the Lapdock...the OS was its downfall. Have baked, crashed a lot and the prices they asked for them was what killed them. The idea was solid, the accountants ruined it.
    I had an Atrix with the Lapdock and it was a great concept. Like the Celio Redfly on WinMo before it, it suffered from horrible lag because the client was limited by the host's CPU and RAM. With today's modern hardware, a dumb workstation idea would work a lot better OR having the client include its own RAM the way the Palm Foleo was originally configured.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    02-24-2016 02:22 PM
126 12345 ...