Only 2 problems I see [HP Elite x3]

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Nope. That is why I stick to the MS offerings. That HP phone is SICK.....its a great push forward for the platform. But for people like myself who travel with my phone a lot, and use it for capturing images etc while on adventures or what not....its not a winner. However, what it's aimed at, BULLSEYE!

Luckyshot000

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
The battery doesn't bother me so much as I haven't needed to replace a battery in 10 or 15 years. I do like the dedicated camera button and would miss it, but remember who this phone is targeted to....enterprise customers. A dedicated camera button isn't going to be a huge demand from business customers.

Chris Stevens1

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I prefer a replaceable battery as well. That said, a replaceable battery is probably less important to the enterprise than a consumer. Enterprises will want to lock down, backup and secure phone data. Enterprises will issue dozens/hundreds/thousands of phones, and will have backups in stock. If a battery is going bad "IT" will load up and issue one of the back up phones.

I suspect that in a phone like this, space saving from eliminating the battery "packaging" allows a much higher capacity battery.

Until there is a teardown, we will nor know if these phones are serviceable; the battery may be replaceable by a technician.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Front 8MP camera reviews...
Apparently HP is placing importance on front camera due to expected business usage in Skype conf. call situation, so both B&O speaker(stereo) are tweaked(angled) for max quality as well as dual front video capture for low light quality..

From TechRadar
HP Elite x3 hands on review | TechRadar
"Front facing webcam sports a 8MP sensor that actually captures two images while in Skype chats and combines them to create an balanced, HDR-like image"

From The Inquirer
MWC 2016: HP Elite X3 hands-on review- The Inquirer
"The 8MP front camera is more modestly specced, but at least it worked properly. In fact, it was downright impressive; even in the low lights of the basement showroom, detailing was high and colours were vibrant. There was a bit of noisiness visible in the darker areas of the images, but nothing ruinous."]/I]

From TrustedReviews
HP Elite X3 hands-on review | TrustedReviews
"The front-facing 8-megapixel camera captures two images at a time, making your video-chats far more crisp when the lightning conditions aren’t at their best"

Rear 16MP camera reviews...
Not much yet, 'The Inquirer' mentions 4K capability. 'TrustedReviews mentions f.2.0 aperture on rear.. I'll edit in if I find something more on the rear camera video.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
itpro.co.uk said the rear camera was terrible. But this is a prototype so who knows how the rear camera will end up. I hope it ends up good because business users will have families and want to take great photos just like any other smart phone owner.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
>realwarder
Yeah another site had similar problems....auto-focus low light issue. These are preview products deadlined for the MWC, fortunately they have 3-4 months at least to work out the kinks as well as line up companies and 3rd party accessories. I'm thinking the HP ducks will be all lined up at release. The potential is huge, I'm certainly willing to wait.

Joe Dubya

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I love the design, the dock and continuum finally make sense. Key question for me is this "extender" - am I the only one wondering why it has no touch screen / pen support? I carry a Surface 3 and L950, would love to carry only one device by I have gone paperless and use my S3 for note taking. Hopefully they'll have different levels of extender - if I have to carry my surface a key feature of this phone is lost for me.

I think I might miss glance, would definitely miss the shutter button, but this pretty much checks all of the boxes for me. Continuum on my L950 already an unexpected surprise for me, this seems to take it to the next level

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
OIS is not that important if the camera is fast enough. That's been the biggest problem with Windows Phone. Nokia always geared the cameras toward taking nature and still shots. But the consumer usage has primarily been portraits. It's the dawn of quick snaps and selfies. Shot to shot action with Windows Phone is bad. My best camera phone was the Lumia Icon and while it took great shots, there were plenty of bad shots during moments that I needed greatness. My current Windows Phone is the HTC One M8 which takes fast pics but only because they're awful 5 MP pictures that look sad in this day and age.

The dedicated camera button is a great feature in theory. But I find that the camera button on Nokia/Microsoft cameras to have too large of a throw. A 2-stage button should be very short with a definitive edge. Like with a traditional DSLR. On my Icon, going from the first stage (the focus) to the second stage introduced movement that affected the final shot. This is something that never happens with a DSLR. Not advocating for no dedicated shutter button. But it should be closer to the feel of a DSLR button.

I primarily shoot with my DSLR but those times when I don't have that or it's inconvenient to use that, I need something better than what the HTC and Icon could offer.

Marko Marjanovic

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
Everyone talking about geting this phone and everyone forgeting it's not for regular consumer. It seem like people still look for every bit bad thing like dedicated camera button, removable battery and goodlike camera. I guess one construction worker don't need dedicated button more then ruged phone, or workers on water removable battery more then waterprofing. If you are windows fan you should be happy that WE got true beast. Even top tier android and ios phones don't have removable battery and dedicated camera button. No big deal for enerprise.
950/xl are consumer, so get them insted.

FurY2007

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I do not mind a removable battery, my Lumia 1020 doesn't have one either. The dedicated camera button .. now that may be a little thing I'd miss, however if the camera works faster, starts up faster and has OIS similar to the Lumia 1020 then I am all sold.

ducmans

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I do not get the 'it's not an issue as these are for Enterprises' statement....
Phones will be used by 'normal people' who happen to work in an Enterprise only during daytime and they do not want to carry around 2 phone, especially if they are this big. So they want their phones to be able to make instant photos using a dedicated button I think.

I think its the best phone out there with top specs but these 'issues' will probably stop me from buying one: No Glance (no glory...) and having software keys instead of capacitive ones.

adrian1338

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Everyone talking about geting this phone and everyone forgeting it's not for regular consumer. It seem like people still look for every bit bad thing like dedicated camera button, removable battery and goodlike camera. I guess one construction worker don't need dedicated button more then ruged phone, or workers on water removable battery more then waterprofing. If you are windows fan you should be happy that WE got true beast. Even top tier android and ios phones don't have removable battery and dedicated camera button. No big deal for enerprise.
950/xl are consumer, so get them insted.
I guess Enterprise Customers are not allowed to express their opinion in this forum than?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte