Only 2 problems I see [HP Elite x3]

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, I've forgotten the last time I used the camera button on my 950XL (and 1520 before it).

Now that the camera can be started right from the action center and loads up really quick, the hardware button just gets in the way (ergonomically speaking).

I just open up the camera app from the screen, tap on what I want to focus on (or settings) and then taking the photo. A mixture of on-screen and hardware buttons seems a bit clunky. But that's just my view.

Having a static battery (for me) results in a more rigid case with less scope for dust ingress.

As to just how attractive this device is for businesses is another matter. Our company has now removed Windows Phone as an option for work-supplied devices because no one wanted any (learning something new appears to be above most people).

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Way too big for a lot of business people--think road warriors. They use their phones 90% of the time as mobile communication devices and need something that easily fits into a pocket and can be used one handed when dragging luggage through an airport. I'm not sure I see the advantages except in some niche scenarios. If you need to carry around a device that is a fake laptop, why not carry the real thing since there are many that are very small and light and still much more powerful than any phone. That gives you two independent devices, so one is a backup in case the other dies and saves you having to pair the devices, etc. Plus, IT departments aren't wild about the idea of people carrying their computers around with them in the first place, especially when eating out or in a bar after work.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Why wouldn't an enterprise user on location at a site NOT want to take quick photos of something that might be business related? Seems silly to think business people don't take photo's? and like other said even business related phones end up being a partial personal hpone for these people.

Just seems like a stupid omission in an otherwise well thought out phone.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, I've forgotten the last time I used the camera button on my 950XL (and 1520 before it).

Now that the camera can be started right from the action center and loads up really quick, the hardware button just gets in the way (ergonomically speaking).

I just open up the camera app from the screen, tap on what I want to focus on (or settings) and then taking the photo. A mixture of on-screen and hardware buttons seems a bit clunky. But that's just my view.

Having a static battery (for me) results in a more rigid case with less scope for dust ingress.

As to just how attractive this device is for businesses is another matter. Our company has now removed Windows Phone as an option for work-supplied devices because no one wanted any (learning something new appears to be above most people).

I do still like the dedicated camera button and use it to launch the camera and I use it to snap the picture, take the video, etc.

However, any qualms i had with no removable battery were squashed three phones ago when I got my 920.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Enterprise prefers not to have cameras due to security concerns, remember the Blackberrys? after cameras were introduced enterprise was up in arms. To the consumers commenting negatively, this phone is NOT made for you, enterprise and business was asked and all that data poured into making this device. HP could well end up being the darling of Business like Blackberry was, that in itself is very exciting. Not sure about the laptop without processor accessory, perhaps its because im not sold on Continuum at all, not until phones can run full desktop apps without virtualization.

B-Dizzle 360

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
Some companies prefer not to have cameras. I work in a very large corporation and it's pretty clear that their presence is unstoppable. They're everywhere, on phones, laptops, tablets, spy cams, etc. It's near impossible to completely prevent them. The thing is that with an administered phone IT can just look at the embedded metadata (and prevent the end user fro turning it off) if something leaks and see who did it. Employee fired and maybe sued. Employees know better. Companies don't play around with leaking information.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
The dedicated camera button is a nice-to-have but isn't a deal breaker for most people. The iPhone has done fine without it. The only problem I see is the price. It is an incredible device, which I see going for $799-$899.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yep I'm the MDM admin at our company and we had an Audit and we pretty much laughed in their face when they told us to turn off our users camera's. We told them we weren't going to pat down people to check to see if they were bringing in non phone portable cameras and with the high BYOD element their is no way we would turn off people's camera's and deal with the riot that would ensue.

Security has nothing to do with a lack of a camera button, The phone STILL has a camera and it can be turned off using MDM polices and could still have a camera button.

Saying Companies don't like camera's has nothing to do with the lack of a camera button.

Bai

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
There is another problem, with the way it dock and keep those pin live you can't put a case on. And that is very important to a lot of people.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
There is another problem, with the way it dock and keep those pin live you can't put a case on. And that is very important to a lot of people.

Not true. The Desk Dock supports the Elite XC3 with or without a case.
From HP press Release....
HP News -*HP Inc. Reinvents Computing With Next Gen Mobility Platform
---------------------------------------------------
The Desk Dock offers a full featured desktop experience for the Elite x3. It includes a DisplayPort for external monitor support, two USB-A and a USB-C? connection for business continuity, and wired Ethernet to seamlessly scale users' productivity at their desk. The Elite x3 docks in portrait mode at a comfortable viewing angle when sitting at a desk. The dock also supports the Elite x3 with and without a protective case.
-----------------------------------------------------

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Consumers will be able to purchase the HP Elite x3

"The HP Elite x3 will be sold a variety of ways. On hp.com, via distributor/VARs (indirect/direct channels), the HP sales force and Microsoft will sell this in the carrier channels on our behalf. In some countries, HP Elite x3 may also be sold by partner operators? sales network. For more details, visit hp.com."

fx747

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
OIS is not that important if the camera is fast enough.

For stills - yes, not so important if sensor is really fast and the lenses have wide aperture, but for video it really helps to keep steady shot.

For me, OIS is a must since I have L830, but I could live without dedicated camera button. There's even an advantage when this button is missing - it's easier to put the phone in 3rd party car holder.

Tips_y

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Those 2 are absolutely not a problem for me.
My 1520 doesn't have replaceable battery and it has never bothered me. And it will be less of a bother with the mammoth battery power like that in the 3X. Besides, it couldn't have water/dust proofing if the battery were replaceable, and I'd rather have those.
I'm not a photography aficionado, but I like taking pictures with my 1520 for things like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and I find myself using the dedicated camera button less and less, except to bring out the camera app. So I'm sure I can get used to 'no dedicated camera button' real quick.

Last edited:

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
For stills - yes, not so important if sensor is really fast and the lenses have wide aperture, but for video it really helps to keep steady shot.

For me, OIS is a must since I have L830, but I could live without dedicated camera button. There's even an advantage when this button is missing - it's easier to put the phone in 3rd party car holder.

Yea I could not deal with a lack of OIS, had it since the Lumia 920 and it prevents most of the blurry pics I used to take.

Kind of a bummer if this phone had

Dedicated Camera button
Removeable battery
Glance Feature
OIS

It would probably be a near perfect phone pretty much maxing out every spec possible in a phone right now. I understand the lack of removeable battery due to it being water/dust proof but the other issues are deal breakers.

HyperChrisX

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
OIS seems to be one of the additions that was not included on the devices shown so far (like the fingerprint scanner), at least according to Pocketnow's coverage of the device.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Enterprise's don't care about a camera button (and I don't either honestly), only Photo centric phones are going to have that any longer...otherwise, that ship has sailed.

They also don't care about a removable battery...if its truly a corporate issued device, and one has a bad battery, they'll just cue up another one and swap the phone out and return the bad one on their service contract. No corporation is going to have their guys tearing these apart...they're tools to make money. Camera is a useful business tool as well, we use ours for OneNote to our private cloud so we can share whiteboard notes from meetings, etc.

Glance has zero draw for me...frankly, don't even want it, I find it to be a gimmick.

If its truly an enterprise device, they're spot on.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It would not have taken much effort to add those missing items. Enterprise use doesn't mean that it shouldn't have these little items that people have come accustomed to and it doesn't mean that enterprise users won't use the phone when they are not at work.

I think it is selling this phone short that it did not include these things which would be little effort but would bring it to full flagship status.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05