Only 2 problems I see [HP Elite x3]

donkiluminate

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
While this phone isn't perfect it does seem to be exactly what the platform needs. An exciting flagship phone that has people talking and isn't built by MS.

WPhoner

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Way too big for a lot of business people--think road warriors. They use their phones 90% of the time as mobile communication devices and need something that easily fits into a pocket and can be used one handed when dragging luggage through an airport. I'm not sure I see the advantages except in some niche scenarios. If you need to carry around a device that is a fake laptop, why not carry the real thing since there are many that are very small and light and still much more powerful than any phone. That gives you two independent devices, so one is a backup in case the other dies and saves you having to pair the devices, etc. Plus, IT departments aren't wild about the idea of people carrying their computers around with them in the first place, especially when eating out or in a bar after work.

Someone has already made this suggestion so I cant take credit but, Imagine a world where the "fake laptop" is already set up at the airport or your local starbucks "with all the fixins" (keyboard mouse charger etc) and all you have to do is plug your phone into this "shell"!! Talk about game changing innovation! I think Microsoft and its partners, in this case HP, are ABSOLUTELY on the right track! good job I say!

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
I don't like removable battery. it makes the design of the phone clumsy. as you can noted nowadays many well designed laptops can't change battery for the sake of good looking.

Schnuffi

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
With these other manufacturers coming on line I hope this gives MS the incentive to make their apps on windows platform as good as it is on other platforms. OM's will demand this I think.

Jeddic

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I guess Enterprise Customers are not allowed to express their opinion in this forum than?

Marko is correct. If you were an enterprise stakeholder and had anything to do with the x3, you would be giving your opinion to HP. Most of the people who use this phone will be using it for business purposes only, if it ever gets to large-scale distribution at all.

NiteCourt

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Working in IT at a small manufacturing business this is what I see. They don't give a crap about the details of the camera. As long as it takes decent pictures. Most don't even use the camera for business purposes. They don't care about a removable battery. They don't want to carry a bunch of small accessories to make things work. That includes chargers, batteries, or small docks to make your phone into a PC. (They rather have a laptop they can just flip open and turn on without having to set things up) They like a phone that has wireless charging so they can set it down on a mat at the airport and have it charge. They want the apps to check flights from all the airlines and major hotel apps. Most of which Windows Phone (mobile) does not have. That being said my company is with Verizon which doesn't even have any Windows phone. Because of this the few people that did have a Windows phone now do not. Maybe things are different in bigger enterprises but now there are many small businesses out there.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Imagine a world where the "fake laptop" is already set up at the airport or your local starbucks "with all the fixins" (keyboard mouse charger etc) and all you have to do is plug your phone into this "shell."
Yeah, and I imagine the real world where the "fake laptop" at the airport or Starbucks will be stolen, broken, missing a key or two, with a keyboard covered with old coffee residue, and three people waiting in line to use it. No business person would ever take the chance that the equipment would be there and in working order. They would still have to carrier all the crap to make it work because you never know what you will encounter. Even when visiting high-tech offices I carry spare ethernet cables, HDMI cables, adaptors, a power supply, a mouse, etc. even when carrying a laptop because you can't count on anything being there and in working order when you need it. For that matter, you can't count on the stuff being there in our office building in rooms that are supposed to have the stuff!

CrownSeven

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
This only works if airports and coffee shops actually spend the cash to put these in place. And why would they? For an OS that has a tiny market share?

Don't forgot Motorola tried the 'dock your phone into a dumb laptop' and that didn't work too well.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
This only works if airports and coffee shops actually spend the cash to put these in place. And why would they? For an OS that has a tiny market share?

Don't forgot Motorola tried the 'dock your phone into a dumb laptop' and that didn't work too well.

Had one, loved the Lapdock...the OS was its downfall. Have baked, crashed a lot and the prices they asked for them was what killed them. The idea was solid, the accountants ruined it.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Had one, loved the Lapdock...the OS was its downfall. Have baked, crashed a lot and the prices they asked for them was what killed them. The idea was solid, the accountants ruined it.
I had an Atrix with the Lapdock and it was a great concept. Like the Celio Redfly on WinMo before it, it suffered from horrible lag because the client was limited by the host's CPU and RAM. With today's modern hardware, a dumb workstation idea would work a lot better OR having the client include its own RAM the way the Palm Foleo was originally configured.

Easwaran N

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
Non removable battery means, users cannot (or should not) remove the battery. It doesn't mean that battery cannot be removed at all. If you face any battery related issues and need to change to a new battery, you just give it to the service center, they will do that in a couple of minutes

Michael Dontigney

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
On my old Samsung note 2 I needed a removable battery because it wouldn't last a day... with the 1520 I don't need a removable battery because it easily lasts 2 full days. It's ridiculous how long the battery lasts! I love it and it's one of the main things keeping me from replacing the phone. Not having to worry about battery life is great. You don't realize how great it is until you see people having to plug in because their battery is dead at 3PM... LOL

Robinator

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Weight is largely irrelevant imo. I think that for practical purposes it is the thinness that is important since that makes it less portable in the pocket.

As for the camera button, yeah, I use my phone at work all the time for documentation, and the lack of a camera button is a major nuisance.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As for the camera button, yeah, I use my phone at work all the time for documentation, and the lack of a camera button is a major nuisance.

With 10, pull down the action center when locked, use the camera quick button. Camera launches.

No: it won't allow access to the rest of the phone without a pin.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99