Verizon support?

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Not sure at this point. How a x86 processor is going to work on a phone, what apps it can run, etc. I could get this phone, RDP into my home computer where ever I am...and I have a full X86 phone anyway :)

Not sure on x86 on a phone at this point, not too many phones use it (do any right now ?) and in the early stages of the chips, it might be buggy.

Rumor is we should heard about the so called x86 phone pretty soon so maybe we'll have some specs before this phone hits the market...

Well, supposedly x86 in a phone offers better performance and lower power consumption thanks to Intel's 14 nm and soon 10 nm process. Therefore, an x86 phone with say an Atom x7 processor, could outperform most high end ARM phones while using equal or less power. At least that's what Intel intends the advantages of x86 to be in a phone.

As for apps, as we've seen with x86 Android phones, you'll still be able to run most if not all smartphone apps for that platform. The x86 CPU was powerful enough to emulate ARM instructions on Android for native apps while the majority of other apps ran in a cross platform VM anyways. With Windows 10 Mobile, all apps built for W10 are meant to be universal from the start so you don't lose out on any store apps by going x86. The dream everyone has with x86 phones is that with continuum, you'll be able to plug your phone in anywhere and in that desktop mode, run x86 apps natively. It's better than RDP since it doesn't rely on a host computer being constantly active and if you're going to play games or other multimedia, RDP is horrible for that.

An x86 Surface Phone or something along that line could finally answer yes to the question of "Can it run Crysis?".

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
As for apps, as we've seen with x86 Android phones, you'll still be able to run most if not all smartphone apps for that platform. The x86 CPU was powerful enough to emulate ARM instructions on Android for native apps while the majority of other apps ran in a cross platform VM anyways. With Windows 10 Mobile, all apps built for W10 are meant to be universal from the start so you don't lose out on any store apps by going x86. The dream everyone has with x86 phones is that with continuum, you'll be able to plug your phone in anywhere and in that desktop mode, run x86 apps natively. It's better than RDP since it doesn't rely on a host computer being constantly active and if you're going to play games or other multimedia, RDP is horrible for that.

An x86 Surface Phone or something along that line could finally answer yes to the question of "Can it run Crysis?".

No, it wont run Crysis (although, mid range hardware today should be able to run Crysis 1 with moderate graphics level) but, x86 on a phone is ONLY a really big deal to corporate customers when it comes down to it (who is REALLY going to care). You have companies who have Win32 apps that are very detailed to their company and that has been the biggest issue with phone lineup. No phones will run native Windows apps. If they can do a minor conversion with out changing all their code (comanies who made the software dont support it for example) and run it on a phone, it would be a big deal.

Now, if the benifits to a better app compatbilty (iOS/Android on WP/WM) and if there was a MAJOR jump in battery life, then it would be a big deal.

When it comes down to it to "Joe Sixpack", He wants a phone that runs good, good battery life and runs major apps....You dont need x86 support to get that.

Then you talk about the business companies, a RDP/Citrix option that will run on the phone will hold data security very well (no data on the phone, No direct access, only a remote session) that will be easy to use on a phone would be huge for banking and goverment type places due to the level of security required.

There always be different ways to do this. If a phone can run a old x86 Windows program that runs fine on a x64 processor, then I guess it would be pretty cool....but, for sure, I dont see it running Crysis :)

What I am trying to get at, the X3 with it's CPU, will do pretty much everything DESIGNED FOR W10M, as the x86 phone will. Is there really a NEED for x86 on a phone ?

As long as I can get one that works on Verizon, I don't much care where I buy it. A posting above mentions that MS may have passed on Verizon because of the HP inroads to the enterprise market. A market that MS dominates in the standard Win 10 useage. I think this makes sense and if we see a beefed up MS phone, I would be very surprised.

Verizon support is no brainer for HP in the US. Largest carrier and a lot of companies use Verizon because of their coverage. If they want this be available for more customers, Verizon WILL happen.

I see HP allowing this through other sites, from Microsoft, direct on HP's site... Even if it's only through corporate customers only, a few weeks you'll always find a few available on ebay or Swappa...

Only problem if carriers dont get it, is no discounted pricing, if the phone is $799 (and $699-799 is my estimate), it will be $799....No carrier or promo discounts for a long time.

This will limit the access by a lot of people...

Last edited:

Bbeelzebub

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
depends what you are expected from phone camera....it might not be

I'd hope for a decent camera sensor and OIS.

That being said, HP never had a good record with digital cameras, so I shouldn't get my hopes up. It's doubtful they will be using the latest Sony sensors. Cameras and Screens are the only things that keep me going back to Samsung, it surely is never their software.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
No, it wont run Crysis (although, mid range hardware today should be able to run Crysis 1 with moderate graphics level) but, x86 on a phone is ONLY a really big deal to corporate customers when it comes down to it (who is REALLY going to care). You have companies who have Win32 apps that are very detailed to their company and that has been the biggest issue with phone lineup. No phones will run native Windows apps. If they can do a minor conversion with out changing all their code (comanies who made the software dont support it for example) and run it on a phone, it would be a big deal.

Now, if the benifits to a better app compatbilty (iOS/Android on WP/WM) and if there was a MAJOR jump in battery life, then it would be a big deal.

When it comes down to it to "Joe Sixpack", He wants a phone that runs good, good battery life and runs major apps....You dont need x86 support to get that.

Then you talk about the business companies, a RDP/Citrix option that will run on the phone will hold data security very well (no data on the phone, No direct access, only a remote session) that will be easy to use on a phone would be huge for banking and goverment type places due to the level of security required.

There always be different ways to do this. If a phone can run a old x86 Windows program that runs fine on a x64 processor, then I guess it would be pretty cool....but, for sure, I dont see it running Crysis :)

What I am trying to get at, the X3 with it's CPU, will do pretty much everything DESIGNED FOR W10M, as the x86 phone will. Is there really a NEED for x86 on a phone ?

Verizon support is no brainer for HP in the US. Largest carrier and a lot of companies use Verizon because of their coverage. If they want this be available for more customers, Verizon WILL happen.

I see HP allowing this through other sites, from Microsoft, direct on HP's site... Even if it's only through corporate customers only, a few weeks you'll always find a few available on ebay or Swappa...

Only problem if carriers dont get it, is no discounted pricing, if the phone is $799 (and $699-799 is my estimate), it will be $799....No carrier or promo discounts for a long time.

This will limit the access by a lot of people...

I think there is a need for x86 though. We've seen that there is consumer interest in the continuum future. But if you market continuum as a desktop on your phone, you're going to have a repeat of the Surface RT again. We've seen that your average "joe sixpack" does indeed want natively compatibility with x86 apps and games. And Surface RT aside, the same thing has happened with Steam Machines running Steam OS. People expect to be able to run their traditional windows games but since Steam OS is Linux, the majority of someone's steam library doesn't work on a Steam Machine. Chromebooks, despite the amazon sales numbers stated awhile ago, haven't caught on to the mainstream market and android tablets are in decline too while the Surface Pro continues to grow.

Any time someone tries to make something to replace x86 Windows, even Microsoft themselves, it is hard for it to take off. Windows tablets and Windows 2 in 1 laptops, are growing steadily while non-windows tablets are on the decline. This is just from the consumer market too. Therefore, having x86 compatibility on a phone is a must for Windows 10's success in the consumer smartphone market. Consumers want to be able to run all the software their used to running. The stereotype that all your average user wants is just a web browser to check emails and social networks has been proven false by chromebooks and android tablets.

Also, if the Surface Phone is powered by an Atom x5 or x7, it actually will be able to run Crysis 1 at low-ish settings. It's not the ideal device to run Crysis, but I'm sure people will want to try running whatever they can on it. Now, this is a stretch, but if the Surface Phone were to be powered by a Core M CPU, then Crysis 1 is very possible at med settings perhaps. But anyways, consumers do want to run x86 apps. Consumers don't just sit around all day on facebook.

rivostat

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
No, This phone does not work in Verizon. I actually had ti return my phone that I got in the Microsoft online store after a month of waiting, calling to Microsoft, calling to Verizon waiting for activation 5 days, 1 week, 2 weeks, etc. It never happened.
Without going to the technical part, and after some research, Verizon and Microsoft have business issues, plain and simple. Lumia 950 or 950XL cannot be activated in Verizon. I actually had to change carriers in order to have my Lumia 950. Now I am with ATT. I love this phone, it has a couple hiccups, no biggies. I use my phone for business and I like it.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
No, This phone does not work in Verizon. I actually had ti return my phone that I got in the Microsoft online store after a month of waiting, calling to Microsoft, calling to Verizon waiting for activation 5 days, 1 week, 2 weeks, etc. It never happened.
Without going to the technical part, and after some research, Verizon and Microsoft have business issues, plain and simple. Lumia 950 or 950XL cannot be activated in Verizon. I actually had to change carriers in order to have my Lumia 950. Now I am with ATT. I love this phone, it has a couple hiccups, no biggies. I use my phone for business and I like it.

Do you work for HP ? Odds are even if you DO, you dont know what is going on with this phone.

Love these posts, a new user and claims a UNRELEASED still in Prototype phone and they know EVERYTHING about the phone. LOL.

HP has said they want Verizon and they were working on it....It's on Twitter from someone well known in the Microsoft world, if you know everything, why not post a link to it ?

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
it....It's on Twitter from someone well known in the Microsoft world, if

As we have recently learned after MS turned their backs on some WP users when it came to the Win 10 update, it being on Twitter doesn't mean crap. lol

Sent from my Surface 3

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Do you work for HP ? Odds are even if you DO, you dont know what is going on with this phone.

Love these posts, a new user and claims a UNRELEASED still in Prototype phone and they know EVERYTHING about the phone. LOL.

HP has said they want Verizon and they were working on it....It's on Twitter from someone well known in the Microsoft world, if you know everything, why not post a link to it ?

I believe, from context, that rivostat is replying to the post above his and is speaking about the 950...

Adjaero Pascal

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site

The HP will not work on verizon at launch. Don't know if they will enable this with a firmware update down the road though

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
The HP will not work on verizon at launch. Don't know if they will enable this with a firmware update down the road though

As I personally doubt that it will get Verizon support due to Verizon's policies. You do claim that it will not, so what is your source ?

Like I said above, people posting like that know everything when there is no facts to be given on a phone that is still in Prototype and subject to change.

Adjaero Pascal

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
As I personally doubt that it will get Verizon support due to Verizon's policies. You do claim that it will not, so what is your source ?

Like I said above, people posting like that know everything when there is no facts to be given on a phone that is still in Prototype and subject to change.

I do actually have an official document stating this. Please head over to the http://forums.windowscentral.com/hp-elite-x3/414046-hp-elite-availability.html section and ask me any questions you have on the device

jmthomas1987

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site

Then Verizon and HP are both cutting their own throats. Verizon has one of the biggest business user communities in the US alone. Not having them on board will marginalize this phone for business users just like the Lumia 950 and 950XL was with only AT&T/T-Mobile compatibility.

VZW and Microsoft need to pull their collective heads out and work things out.

Adjaero Pascal

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Then Verizon and HP are both cutting their own throats. Verizon has one of the biggest business user communities in the US alone. Not having them on board will marginalize this phone for business users just like the Lumia 950 and 950XL was with only AT&T/T-Mobile compatibility.

VZW and Microsoft need to pull their collective heads out and work things out.

agreed

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I do actually have an official document stating this. Please head over to the http://forums.windowscentral.com/hp-elite-x3/414046-hp-elite-availability.html section and ask me any questions you have on the device

So, you have a FINAL document from HP showing this ? Not a beta document or a protype test document, as that would not be FINAL, it would be TEST or Prototype.

As they say, PROOF or it didn't happen or your full of it...

It gets old on this site people saying "THIS IS TRUE" when it's not even possable that they even have a clue on the subject...It happens way too much on this site (I am sure this is NOT the only site)

Adjaero Pascal

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
So, you have a FINAL document from HP showing this ? Not a beta document or a protype test document, as that would not be FINAL, it would be TEST or Prototype.

As they say, PROOF or it didn't happen or your full of it...

It gets old on this site people saying "THIS IS TRUE" when it's not even possable that they even have a clue on the subject...It happens way too much on this site (I am sure this is NOT the only site)

No sir, I am not full of it. I have a final document and I took a picture so you can see for yourself. I only came here to pass information to people that were seeking it, not to be grouped amongst the "THIS IS TRUE" people. Thank you

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Attachments

• 21313.jpg
    21313.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 9

finalrelief

May 16, 2016
Visit site
I will not support Verizon even if they support this device/surface phone because multiple sales reps, on the phone, in person, and in chat have all treated me poorly once they find out i wasn't only an android (samsung specifically), and iOS ******.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans