Verizon support?

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
That doesn't close any door as it's just a piece of paper UNTIL HP formally announces the phone. I agree with the other posters, and I worked at HP, NOBODY KNOWS everything and as was presented above = it's all about certification, Verizon must allow any "certified device" on their network as part of the FCC auction.

I would lose all faith in HP if "they walked away from HUGE corporate Verizon contracts" !

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Anyone looking at recent history would know that the likelihood of Verizon carrying this phone is very low and when you consider that businesses typically buy their phones directly from a carrier with some kind of service contract its should not surprise anyone that HP wont include support for Verizon. Maybe that will change and can be enabled later but they have no incentive to do any extra work to make the phones Verizon compatible and then have to deal with any potential support issues.

And seriously, you Verizon users need to stop feeling like everyone has to bow down to make phones available to you, this problem doesn't exist with GSM devices which work all over the world and which is the market HP will support so there is no throat cutting if one US carrier isn't supported, especially when that carrier has previously done all it can to actually NOT sell the Windows phones it sold.

finalrelief

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Anyone looking at recent history would know that the likelihood of Verizon carrying this phone is very low and when you consider that businesses typically buy their phones directly from a carrier with some kind of service contract its should not surprise anyone that HP wont include support for Verizon. Maybe that will change and can be enabled later but they have no incentive to do any extra work to make the phones Verizon compatible and then have to deal with any potential support issues.

And seriously, you Verizon users need to stop feeling like everyone has to bow down to make phones available to you, this problem doesn't exist with GSM devices which work all over the world and which is the market HP will support so there is no throat cutting if one US carrier isn't supported, especially when that carrier has previously done all it can to actually NOT sell the Windows phones it sold.

Windows 10 Software Update | Verizon Wireless looks like they're supporting the windows 10 update on a phone.....

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I would lose all faith in HP if "they walked away from HUGE corporate Verizon contracts" !

That is a big deal in the US. As I have worked for about 10 very large companies (4 of them were fortune 500 companies), every one of them used Verizon here in the US. We are not talking companies with 500 users, we are talking companies who have 5000+ users. Multi million dollar cell phone plans/contracts.

Verizon is a the largest carrier here in the US, HP would be stabbing them in the foot in the US market by not getting it Verizon compatible.

Although other carriers will help on a global level, but, if they want to be the big guns in the US and a sold chance for this phone to succeed, they NEED Verizon support.

Word is, from a few sources(some people I know at MS, take it with a grain of salt) I have heard they ARE still trying to work with Verizon before the US release.

No sir, I am not full of it. I have a final document and I took a picture so you can see for yourself. I only came here to pass information to people that were seeking it, not to be grouped amongst the "THIS IS TRUE" people. Thank you

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

You take a little picture and cut it out, so we cant see all of it. That image could be from an Android device for all we know.

Do you have the full document you speak of in a PDF or something else to prove that it IS for the X3 ? This does not clear it up for me.

Adjaero Pascal

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
That is a big deal in the US. As I have worked for about 10 very large companies (4 of them were fortune 500 companies), every one of them used Verizon here in the US. We are not talking companies with 500 users, we are talking companies who have 5000+ users. Multi million dollar cell phone plans/contracts.

Verizon is a the largest carrier here in the US, HP would be stabbing them in the foot in the US market by not getting it Verizon compatible.

Although other carriers will help on a global level, but, if they want to be the big guns in the US and a sold chance for this phone to succeed, they NEED Verizon support.

Word is, from a few sources(some people I know at MS, take it with a grain of salt) I have heard they ARE still trying to work with Verizon before the US release.

You take a little picture and cut it out, so we cant see all of it. That image could be from an Android device for all we know.

Do you have the full document you speak of in a PDF or something else to prove that it IS for the X3 ? This does not clear it up for me.

Here, a screenshot. "You take a little picture and cut it out, so we cant see all of it." That was never my intention. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0PA2CurEFpSYllKenB0dEFQVVU/view?usp=drivesdk
I cannot share any further information and I do hope they either make a version for Verizon (like the icon L928) or find a way to support it on this version of the phone.
Later

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Even a full document does NOT mean anything as "unless this has some additional" background. I worked at HP for 15 years and there are "all kinds" of documents and versions and targeted audiences ... etc. associated with everyone.

ONE document does NOT mean "anything" !!!

groady-ho baluzy

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
I used to have Verizon and was told they were in the process of switching to gsm by a tech. They need to switch and get with the program.

Luckyshot000

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
CDMA has better coverage in the United States (where Verizon does business), Maybe the smaller GSM community should get with the program. Why should Verizon change all of their towers to GSM just so they are on the same technology with their smaller competitors? Makes no sense really. Now, if they provided international service, it might be a different argument. Besides, Verizon is already making their investment to go to LTE only eventually so the GSM v CDMA argument would be moot.

Oh, what am I saying....Verizon, should spend billions to change over to GSM so the AT&T & TMobile customers can have decent coverage.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
CDMA has better coverage in the United States (where Verizon does business), Maybe the smaller GSM community should get with the program. Why should Verizon change all of their towers to GSM just so they are on the same technology with their smaller competitors? Makes no sense really. Now, if they provided international service, it might be a different argument. Besides, Verizon is already making their investment to go to LTE only eventually so the GSM v CDMA argument would be moot.

Oh, what am I saying....Verizon, should spend billions to change over to GSM so the AT&T & TMobile customers can have decent coverage.

I'll leave this here: CDMA vs. GSM: What's the Difference? | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

4G is GSM all the way. That's why Vzw and Sprint phones now come with SIM trays, to access those carriers' LTE.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution-Data_Optimized

EV-DO is the CDMA 3G and it is dying tech. EV-DO Rev A can reach 3.1Mbps and Rev B can reach 4.9Mbps. Rev C, the H+ alternative for CDMA never got off the ground and Sprint used WiMAX as a stop gap. Vzw went straight to LTE GSM deployment.

By contrast, the GSM 3G system maxed out as HSDPA (or H+) reaching up to 42.2Mbps.

So, yeah, add in the Carrier Side authorization for phones by MEID check and I don't wanna CDMA.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I'll leave this here: CDMA vs. GSM: What's the Difference? | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

4G is GSM all the way. That's why Vzw and Sprint phones now come with SIM trays, to access those carriers' LTE.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution-Data_Optimized

EV-DO is the CDMA 3G and it is dying tech. EV-DO Rev A can reach 3.1Mbps and Rev B can reach 4.9Mbps. Rev C, the H+ alternative for CDMA never got off the ground and Sprint used WiMAX as a stop gap. Vzw went straight to LTE GSM deployment.

By contrast, the GSM 3G system maxed out as HSDPA (or H+) reaching up to 42.2Mbps.

So, yeah, add in the Carrier Side authorization for phones by MEID check and I don't wanna CDMA.

The real advantage of CDMA phones is that it protects you from Sam L Jackson's free SIM card scheme where he tricks people into putting SIM cards into phones which can be used to manipulate people into attacking each other. :wink:

Luckyshot000

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
I knew LTE was the same tech across carriers for the most part (FDD v TDD but that's international), but my point was for 2g and 3g technologies which are still being used in some areas. This is mostly in rural areas where the towers haven't been upgraded. Not sure that it is true to say GSM and LTE are equivalent other than requiring a SIM. They are different technologies. In fact, 3g GSM isn't really GSM, its a variant of CDMA. LTE is just the common standard all carriers are moving to.

The point is Verizon isn't going to adopt GSM for any reason, rather they are going to convert to VoLTE.

groady-ho baluzy

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
Well I live in rural America where BIg Red was supposed to be better. Had so many dropped calls it wasn't funny. Switched to att dropped calls disappeared. I always figured it was Verizon's way to get me to switch from wp. The great thing about switching back to att was that all my old phones (lumias) work again just by popping a sim back in.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I traveled all over the western US last year from Missouri up into S. Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and over through Utah, Nevada, California then down into Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and Oklahoma on my way home.

Theoretically I went through many areas where Vzw is king and all other networks struggle...

My wife and I were on Cricket (AT&T towers) and we had no loss of service issues at all.

When Vzw built out their CDMA network many years ago is far different than the state of carrier coverage today. I wouldn't expect Verizon to backfill CDMA with UMTS, but they are also coasting on an old reputation and old technology that is not necessarily relevant any longer.

Verizon loves proprietary. They love controlling their consumers' access. Selecting their phones for them. Making full BYOD difficult if not impossible. Hinking with the firmware of phones like the infamous missing MMS settings ability on their branded Windows Phones that disallows you getting MMS or Group Text if you take a Vzw branded Windows Phone to another service.

Even their spectrum usage habits are about control. In the 700 MHz spectrum they are running Band 13 in the upper half of block C. ATT and T-Mo are running blocks A, B, and/or (lower) C on bands 17 and 12 respectively and an accord has been reached via FCC negotiations for ATT to move to Band 12 and create interoperability for Band 17 devices to function on a Band 12 rollout. This eases roaming and tower sharing. But Verizon wants to go their own way and make it more difficult for their consumers to roam by continuing the practice of exclusivity in connect-ability. It's Verizon's way and Verizon's phones and towers or you are cut out. They don't want their consumers roaming easily onto other networks and don't want others roaming onto theirs.

Every time I shop carriers (and I revisit this regularly), Verizon plans would cost me more than any other. Paying extra to be locked into a box of their design and being forced to conform to the devices and access they deign to make available is the Vzw way. Again, no thank you.

This idea of limiting flexibility for consumers is a trap of their own devising and they are caught in it just as their consumers are. It is no wonder to me why the Lumia 950/XL, the Lumia 550 and the Lumia 650 are not on Verizon. Many blame Microsoft. They could have, should have jumped through all the hoops to be graced with the chance to have a handset on Verizon...

Is that the way Huge multinationals partner? All conditions flowing one way?

I won't be left wondering why if the Elite X3 doesn't play on Verizon either...

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Here, a screenshot. "You take a little picture and cut it out, so we cant see all of it." That was never my intention. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0PA2CurEFpSYllKenB0dEFQVVU/view?usp=drivesdk
I cannot share any further information and I do hope they either make a version for Verizon (like the icon L928) or find a way to support it on this version of the phone.
Later

I stand corrected, Thank you for clearing that up.

Cool device no question but, till Microsoft gets their crap together and start actually supporting Windows Phone (W10m), I don't think I would buy it.

Bug fixing is not want I mean by supporting...(Preview program is bug fixes 95%)

Yeah, I traveled all over the western US last year from Missouri up into S. Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and over through Utah, Nevada, California then down into Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and Oklahoma on my way home.

Theoretically I went through many areas where Vzw is king and all other networks struggle...

My wife and I were on Cricket (AT&T towers) and we had no loss of service issues at all....

And I did custom home theater installs a few years ago (3 years ago), cool stuff, well over Million dollar setups. Anyway. I had Verizon, my partner who I worked with had AT&T... This is through the back roads and main areas here in CT, NY(CT line) and some RI.

Did you know my partner used MY phone more than his ? He would be dropping calls all the time. Countless times this was the case.

So, Carrier coverage all depends on where you live and travel. Sprint is really good in some towns in parts of the US, and in other areas, they are the worse.

Just like anything else... but, AT&T is better now, most areas it's not a big deal...Verizon is not perfect, every carrier has dead sports, it just depends on who has more in what area and at what cost.

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
I hope, like many others here, that Verizon will cave to a company the size and scope of HP ... but, we shall soon see won't we! It's a completely different world in the large Enterprise company "carrier space" and it's not like a large company will get Verizon coverage = we will also benefit as smaller companies and perhaps even individuals.

IF Verizon were NOT the largest US Carrier, then HP would simple ignore Verizon, but HP is a powerful force and command an extensive salesforce and partner/re-seller ecosystem!

Even Verizon is subject to investors and their Board who "I doubt" would look kindly to a successful launch of the HP Elite x3 and NOT get additional millions of dollars of revenue - in a shrinking "smartphone marketplace"!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I hope, like many others here, that Verizon will cave to a company the size and scope of HP

Verizon should certainly keep an eye on HP's moves due to HP's size and presence in the business world. However, we need to keep in mind that we're talking about a device with an OS having a negligible market share. So far, no carrier has taken WP/WM seriously. Will Verizon have anything to gain by jumping all over the Elite x3? Possibly, but it's also realistic that it would end up being an investment with returns that are marginal at best.

Plenty of hype was seen over the BlackBerry Priv, but in the end only AT&T supported it. Look where that ended up. No other carrier went for it, and recently AT&T publicly admitted that the Priv is not doing well.

In the end, it is still up to HP whether or not the Elite x3 works on Verizon. There are now a number of factory unlocked phones that are used on Verizon. If HP is serious about reaching Verizon's business customers, they'll make it happen. From the information we have, it seems that it is ultimately HP's choice. Whether it is worth it or not is another matter, but it is certainly possible to do.

Remember, this forum is full of WP/W10M/Microsoft enthusiasts. Just because I see it as the ultimate OS doesn't mean that everyone else does. We think "How can anyone choose iOS/Android when they can get a WP?". We do not see it any other way. However, each of us have a choice. Almost all users choose something else.

Another thing to consider is that we do not yet have many details about the phone. Virtually everything so far is speculation. Let's see how this all spins out!

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
It's really NOT about "Verizon SUPPORT" as HP has the scale and partner ecosystem that HP will most likely not be delivering "just phones and carrier access" ... BUT, a "full service end-to-end solution" !!! Verizon can't even spell "solution"!

In the Enterprise/business solutions arena ... ANY smartphone, tablet, etc. is simply an "endpoint device" for the Enterprise to "deliver" specific information directly to say a sales person, support person, key management, etc.

This is where "security" and "Continuum", etc. make a huge difference.

Verizon - and any other carrier, ISP, WiFi provider, etc. - ONLY needs to provide the "pipe" and very little else. Verizon would lose MILLIONS as iPhones and Android can NOT run legacy corporate applications easily and Windows 10 can.

Windows 10 Phones - despite what has happened in the consumer space - do have a significant "opportunity" to add real value.

WE SHALL SOON SEE !!!

BTW Large companies "SEE stuff many months ahead of an launch" = MANY Large HP customers have ALREADY been shown the HP Elite x3 and HP would most likely NOT be launching if the "customer reaction was not extremely positive"!

Last edited:

Jason Kosal

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
If HP does end up putting the Elite X3 on VZW, it is agreed that they would have to perform 3rd party testing to join the network. Is this based on the phone or the chip/radio?

The reason I ask is that if it's the chip that is tested, could this potentially open up the approval of the 950XL on VZW? I read somewhere that part of the problem was that CDMA support in Windows 10 had not been fully integrated???

I currently have a 950 XL I purchased, switched to ATT, realized I did not have coverage then went back to Verizon. I have one of the most beautiful phones ever created sitting on my desk not being used. It is by far the best phone I have ever used. It is clean, smooth, fast, and has a phenomenal camera. As my colleague put it. "it's sexy".

I will admit, I am slightly biased towards windows since I am an IT Manager by trade. I work with Windows 24 X 7, it only makes sense my phone is Windows.

Any insight is helpful.

Thanks,

Jason

Y2HBK

May 16, 2013
Visit site
If HP does end up putting the Elite X3 on VZW, it is agreed that they would have to perform 3rd party testing to join the network. Is this based on the phone or the chip/radio?

The reason I ask is that if it's the chip that is tested, could this potentially open up the approval of the 950XL on VZW? I read somewhere that part of the problem was that CDMA support in Windows 10 had not been fully integrated???

I currently have a 950 XL I purchased, switched to ATT, realized I did not have coverage then went back to Verizon. I have one of the most beautiful phones ever created sitting on my desk not being used. It is by far the best phone I have ever used. It is clean, smooth, fast, and has a phenomenal camera. As my colleague put it. "it's sexy".

I will admit, I am slightly biased towards windows since I am an IT Manager by trade. I work with Windows 24 X 7, it only makes sense my phone is Windows.

Any insight is helpful.

Thanks,

Jason

My understanding is the 950/950XL not working on Verizon is a hardware limitation. No form of firmware update or the like will make it work. Microsoft would have to release a new version of the 950/950XL.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb