Shut Up & Take My.... Wait... How Much?

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
A bit of a game changer on our hands here, MS will have to go some to make the Surface phone stand out, I suppose adding removable battery, glance, true dual sim and the camera are the places to look at.

However one big question is months away from being answered.

HOW MUCH, are we talking about it coming just as a phone, a phone with the dock, or a phone with the dock and the "laptop extender".

Are we looking at ?1000+ for the phone and dock and a couple of hundred more if you want the extender.

Your guesses welcome.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Hp Elite x3

It's not even been announced, the launch data is in the summer so 4 - 5 months away (I imagine that will depend on your region).

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
$72,000 USD. No, wait. I thought it came with a Cadillac Escalade. My bad.

I would think it would cost more than the 950XL, which is a $859USD. However, they also went cheaper on the camera, which is a lot of cost, so it may balance out somewhat. I'm thinking $900 for the phone only.

Final cost will also depend on what will be included with the device. Will they throw in the cradle? $1000 for phone/cradle bundle. $200 for the Mobile Extender is my best guess. However, with no CPU/RAM/Storage, the mobile extender could come in much cheaper. I think the keyboard portion of it will actually cost more than the screen. Possibly as low as $100 for it, but more than likely $200. If it's more than $200, then I would not be able to justify it whatsoever.

Expect more "shells" like the Mobile Extender to show up on the market without a particular phone to pair with. Once more continuum enabled phones hit the market, then there will be more 3rd party shells with differing features and prices. It will get competitive.

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
?550-650 for the phone sounds about right, the dock will probably be around ?75-100 and the laptop extender another ?100-150 depending on screen and build quality.

Naturally bulk and bundles will see reductions on top of that.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking $650-750. You're probably talking $100-150 for the dock and another $250 for the extender (remember you're buying a 1080p display, mouse, and keyboard there). My thought is they'll lessen the margins on the phones and make the money back on the accessories to gt marketshare with the things, then let the ecosystem sell the extras.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Good point! Man, if this phone/bundle doesn't "do it" for enterprise, I'm not sure what will lol

If not this, I'd guess x86 would still be the holdup. Apps are still missing from the medical and IT angles, so I could still see plenty of businesses passing on the phones if that Workspace suite doesn't meet the right needs. In that case, only having Surface Phones with x86 support will have any hope.

Changaizee

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
If not this, I'd guess x86 would still be the holdup. Apps are still missing from the medical and IT angles, so I could still see plenty of businesses passing on the phones if that Workspace suite doesn't meet the right needs. In that case, only having Surface Phones with x86 support will have any hope.

Seems reasonable to me that they are holding the release till the late summer, we might see project island-wood accomplished or rebirth of project Astoria, who knows continuum supporting multitasking and x86 apps. but if not all the OS will have definitely more polished to suit the specs of this GOD of current W10M smartphone.

My guess btw about the price is that it should be around $700-$800 for it.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Seems reasonable to me that they are holding the release till the late summer, we might see project island-wood accomplished or rebirth of project Astoria, who knows continuum supporting multitasking and x86 apps. but if not all the OS will have definitely more polished to suit the specs of this GOD of current W10M smartphone.

My guess btw about the price is that it should be around $700-$800 for it.

Islandwood MIGHT be ready then, but this seems to be completely separate of that experience. The phones they presented weren't even close to finished (there was no fingerprint reader, for example), so the delay is probably as much about hardware readiness as anything. Astoria seems dead, and I'd be fine with having it stay dead. Clunky emulation of an OS that runs poorly in an ideal environment (read: not emulated and on high-end hardware) is going to make the OS look bad because it would probably rely very heavily on apps in that environment. I'd rather the eggs all go to Islandwood and a true translation of code to run in the W10M environment.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

The big push with this device is cloud computing. RDP based sessions. If this is setup like needed (Citrix or another flavor), the need for x86 is not there. Run any app they need even a special medical app that has not been updated in 10 years. Companies would RATHER keep their data in house if possible, with a Citrix/RDP session, it's done on site remotely so data never leaves the company ground.

This phone is going to hit very high marks for a lot of corporate customers, it's going to be very secure, it's going to have Microsoft AD support... It's going to fit a lot of holes for the corporate world and step away from the BYOD (Bring your own device) type things that hinders security of data.

This could be the BIG game changer Microsoft needs to make Windows Phone a success... it really could be this one device.

I really wanted a 950XL on Verizon....I have totally changed my mind...I want this phone on Verizon...

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The big push with this device is cloud computing. RDP based sessions. If this is setup like needed (Citrix or another flavor), the need for x86 is not there. Run any app they need even a special medical app that has not been updated in 10 years. Companies would RATHER keep their data in house if possible, with a Citrix/RDP session, it's done on site remotely so data never leaves the company ground.

This phone is going to hit very high marks for a lot of corporate customers, it's going to be very secure, it's going to have Microsoft AD support... It's going to fit a lot of holes for the corporate world and step away from the BYOD (Bring your own device) type things that hinders security of data.

This could be the BIG game changer Microsoft needs to make Windows Phone a success... it really could be this one device.

I really wanted a 950XL on Verizon....I have totally changed my mind...I want this phone on Verizon...

This is kind of possible already, of course. I've been using my 920 and 950 to remote into my home PC for a long while now, though Teamviewer. The downside is it doesn't push audio, but I still like having that app Universal now.

Changaizee

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Yup that is ofcourse one thing they are holding up, it did lack hardware that it shud come with, lets hope iOS ports are a success by the time these high end devices come in play.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro