HP Elite X3 Business phone = No Surface Phone?

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Question relating to this topic and Verizon. If memory serves me correctly, Verizon will soon migrate away from CDMA to a more GSM type base. That said, all the discussion here about a specific need for the HP and MS Surface devices sort of goes away. True, the timing for Verizon to do this is critical. From my reading here and other places, Verizon has a great deal of their business tied to the Enterprise market. I can't see them holding onto CDMA any longer than necessary.

Not trying to interrupt the OP's posting but it appears to me the potential loser here would be Verizon unless they react in the next few months to open their network to the world standard and that ain't CDMA. Maybe HP and MS can now force Verizon to join the real world.

From everything I've seen, Verizon is not going to go to a GSM standard as that would cost them billions upon billions of dollars to refarm their bandwidths. What we are currently seeing is the roll out of their Advanced Calling technology, which is essentially voice over data. It uses the same principle as Wi-Fi Calling, but uses the Verizon LTE network as the backbone. They then route the data call to hard lines and your call is placed. This is why data works in newer devices with advanced calling activated, but not when you have the old CDMA voice network activated.

I think VoLTE is the wave of the future and it will only get better with stronger 5G networks rolling out. This with the fact that Wi-Fi is becoming more and more available with services like Xfinity Wi-Fi, it only makes sense that CDMA's days are numbered.

Just my thoughts, but man, I still want to play with an X3 really bad!

ikvn

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Last post on this thread was 3-3-2016 = anyone have any more info?

Perhaps SP was impacted by Intel's latest decision?

http://www.slashgear.com/intel-kills-atom-smartphone-tablet-future-in-limbo-02438387/
Lol, I was never really interested in running a full pc from a phone and I doubt we'll be seeing that anytime soon. That fact becomes even more obvious with Intel giving up on their mobile efforts. I think Microsoft will still use arm based chips together with continuum and uwp strategy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720