08-31-2016 03:16 PM
40 12
tools
    And here is an even better "demo" of the Courier concept = recall this was over 6 years ago (circa 2008 and 2009) - does anyone remember their "DUMB phones when the FIRST iPhone was launched???

The FIRST iPhone was launched in by Steve Jobs on January 9, 2007 - it seems like 12 to 15 years ago but wasn't = that's "how fast this stuff is moving".

The HP Elite is "definitely just the beginning" as surely HP is now at the cutting edge.

05-08-2016 10:28 AM
    I had an E61 when the iphone was released. It was pretty good, not dumb by any means. That thing was sexy for the time.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_E61
    Then i had the e71 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_E71 even more sexy.
    At that moment Nokia should have realized memory and storage are important. They made the same mistakes of limited storage for like 3-4 more years all the way up to N97.
    What retardedness.
    05-13-2016 11:49 AM
    I had an E61 when the iphone was released. It was pretty good, not dumb by any means. That thing was sexy for the time.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_E61
    Then i had the e71 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_E71 even more sexy.
    At that moment Nokia should have realized memory and storage are important. They made the same mistakes of limited storage for like 3-4 more years all the way up to N97.
    What retardedness.
    Spot on! I used from 5800 XM, N8, N97, N9 and all but the last one was the same joke of memory c and mass memory. I just couldn't get my head round it. Bad decisions can be costly. That said, the Elite X3 has been looking great so far.
    05-15-2016 11:40 AM
    Spot on! I used from 5800 XM, N8, N97, N9 and all but the last one was the same joke of memory c and mass memory. I just couldn't get my head round it. Bad decisions can be costly. That said, the Elite X3 has been looking great so far.
    N9 sigh.... so much promise :D I went the N97mini, that was pretty bad too, N8 was better ... custom roms were cool.... now I don't care anymore, just have it work well altogether :)
    05-23-2016 01:08 AM
    maybe in future we will be able to use visual studio on continuum...
    You can virtually run visual studio from HP Workspace on the Ex3. This is why I want to buy it because to me it represents the full ecosystem experience. The only caveat I really care about now is my internet connection speed.
    06-16-2016 12:16 AM
    yes but at what cost?

On azure it costs 10$/month for 40 hours(i use it for at least 160 hours/month... i have to pay 120 extra hours so 0,175$*120= 21$) and you have to bill 20 accounts.

Total 31$/month and i cannot subscribe it myself...

I hope HP Workspace will be less expensive, but i am not expecting a lot of difference.
    RumoredNow and Guytronic like this.
    06-16-2016 02:36 AM
    I don't think the "plug the phone into a laptop dock" concept itself holds much water. The entire premise seems to try and replicate what laptops have been capable of for decades. The virtualization will replicate what native x86 programs can already do. As for having all your data on one device, it's trivially easy to either cloud sync data, or move files over the wire if a network connection is unavailable.

What does this device do differently or better than using a company issued laptop with desktop Windows and local x86 programs?
    theefman and spazzmeister like this.
    07-04-2016 08:04 PM
    Cost, i guess.
    My company suffers a lot when they have to pay for all those software every time.
    With X3, it could be cheaper in theory.
    07-08-2016 08:25 PM
    So has it begun already or are we still waiting on this overhyped slab?
    08-24-2016 08:27 PM
    Ive begun by once again being an early adopter against better judgement. I am waiting to get mine in the mail. Woot Woot!
    08-24-2016 09:52 PM
    You can virtually run visual studio from HP Workspace on the Ex3. This is why I want to buy it because to me it represents the full ecosystem experience. The only caveat I really care about now is my internet connection speed.
    Tried that on my 950XL this past weekend. Though not the Elite X3, I was able to remote into work and run Visual Studio through my home TV.

cqt3dfbuaaeaggd.jpg
    RumoredNow, realbart and MOBBAK like this.
    08-25-2016 11:30 AM
    Tried that on my 950XL this past weekend. Though not the Elite X3, I was able to remote into work and run Visual Studio through my home TV.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CqT3DfBUAAEaGgD.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	129807
    Can u tell in detail how did u do that? And how is the speed?

Thanks.
    Marcin Dabrowsky likes this.
    08-25-2016 11:54 PM
    the problem i see personnally is that you can't put all the ressource on the same device.
    if you want your phone to be the brain of everything it's doable BUT the laptop extender should come with power on it's own that add to the phone.

i mean when you are not in a "PC configuration" you don't really need your phone to be the most powerfull device of the universe.
    a snapdragon 800 is enough in a phone for pratically any use, if you keep in mind it's a phone.

when plugged in a laptop extender, the extender is where the strong processor should be located. (not sure i am making myself clear).

as long as you want the phone to be the brain AND the powercore of a multi device you'll end up with a not powerfull enough device to be a real PC or laptop remplacement. (like the padfone of asus)

for me the better concept for a multi device will ever be this one
    08-31-2016 08:34 AM
    if you want your phone to be the brain of everything it's doable BUT the laptop extender should come with power on it's own that add to the phone
    But it does come with lots of power on it's own. 46.5 WHr, 4 cell battery. Plug the Elite X3 into the type C connector and the LapDock is charging the phone.

when plugged in a laptop extender, the extender is where the strong processor should be located. (not sure i am making myself clear).
    So then you are making it a regular laptop. Add a CPU/GPU and you need a UEFI or Bios, and a way to boot and interact. Even if it is a shell OS it needs an OS. If everything is coming from the phone, this just gets in the way, IMHO.

as long as you want the phone to be the brain AND the powercore of a multi device you'll end up with a not powerfull enough device to be a real PC or laptop remplacement. (like the padfone of asus)
    The Snapdragon 820 is 2.2 GHz Quad-Core with an Adreno 530 GPU. There is 4GB of LPDDR4, dual channel RAM running at 1866 MHz. It can support a 4K external display. How much more do you think it needs in the LapDock to "boost" it?

The Asus PadPhone was a Snapdragon S4+ dual core Krait at 1.5 GHz with Adreno 225 GPU and only had 1GB RAM.
    08-31-2016 11:43 AM
    I was talking of the concept on a larger scale.

Sur the lapdock got a huge battery And the x3 is packed with nice specs on it's own
    But it's also going to be way to high priced to be an every home device

The lapdock, if it came with some backup RAM and a nice cpu, could potentially turn ANY windows phone into a laptop remplacement, even some of the cheaper lumia (as it would take the power it lacks in the dock )

And THAT would be a nice way to touch a new public

Some People are reluctant to go outside with a phone as expensive as a X3 (risk of breaking/loosing it, of thievery...)
    .they don' t really need a powerhouse in their pocket just to text and make some calls

cheap phone becoming as powerfull as a pc WHEN docked once at home or job on the other hand would interest them more
    RumoredNow likes this.
    08-31-2016 03:16 PM
40 12