HP Elite is just the beginning...

peashooter14

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
This is where the industry is going. You will no longer have a laptop computer. You will carry around a super slim screen and keyboard device that is used as a presentation and input device only. Your phone will drive the display. This is for 90% of the market. There will still be niche needs for developers, artists, CAD programmers, etc...

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
No, devices like the Elite themselves are the niche, they'll have their place but it doesn't make sense for every enterprise carrying a phone and a dummy laptop when an actual ultraportable laptop will do a better job. Thin and light 2 in 1 devices like the Matebook have more chance of meeting 90% of computer users needs and being the future of computing.

Vladimir Ka

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
I would agree with OP.
Why carry a laptop and a phone when you can just carry a phone and use already existing monitor at work and at home..

This wont be a major player this generation, but 2 Gens from now? When glitches are ironed out and phones are really beefed.. Or when surface phone comes out :)

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
With HP and Vaio testing the enterprise market I'm betting the Surface phone won't reach the surface :)

Why should Microsoft bother when partners are much better at hardware design and marketing their product successes?

Vladimir Ka

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
With HP and Vaio testing the enterprise market I'm betting the Surface phone won't reach the surface :)

Why should Microsoft bother when partners are much better at hardware design and marketing their product successes?

But no one would stop vendors from creating their own x86 phone once OS is released..
I have a feeling MS was pushing their idea too much and scared the vendors away, so they had to create Surface all by themselves.

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
This is where the industry is going. You will no longer have a laptop computer. You will carry around a super slim screen and keyboard device that is used as a presentation and input device only. Your phone will drive the display. This is for 90% of the market. There will still be niche needs for developers, artists, CAD programmers, etc...

Cintiq Companion for the Elite X3 anyone?! I can only dream... hehe :D

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I can see that totally, as for the last month, I don't need to take my surface pro all the time to school /work any more, just my Lumia 950 and the display dock. so I just hook up it to the monitor at my lab/office/libary , I got myself a personal computer.
and as I mention on other thread,I could use remote desktop on continuum if I need to run an x86 program.

user4545

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
You do realize that the Macbook is both thinner and lighter than the Mobile extender?

The only advantage the Extender has is price, which isn't enough because you have to buy a $500+ phone for it which nobody except us wants.

And Continuum is still to compromised. It will be something to count on when W10 Mobile is just a UI, and continuum results in a full W10 x64 desktop OS experience on your phone + screen.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Yup, it is just the beginning as we finally have a Windows Phone that is both ground breaking and is trying to set the bar. As prior to this pretty much all the OEM phones have been decidedly low end and midrange albeit with a few exceptions.

Nice concept but Impractical for daily use on the go:winktongue: for instance:

No way you will be able to use it on long haul flights as the chair trays aren't that wide unless your filing 1st / business class.
Secondly, I can see the phone toppling over from people's laps.
Thirdly, if there is no adequate locking mechanism in place, a quick swipe and grab is all it would take.

However if it was deskbound, then I can see it working unless the dock is really small no bigger than a 11.6" - 12.1" would be the max size it would work universally. Any bigger, your going to need knee extenders (unless your pretty tall :winktongue:).

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
That's not a concept. That's a Lapdock. It came out in 2010 for the Motorola Atrix.

Yes, i'm aware and what happened to it?

It never made it out of the concept stage and into mass market appeal :).

When I was referring to the size, I was speaking generally.

Edit: to give you some context.
We had one demoed in the office and it just was clunky at best and it had no locking mechanism to hold it in place when it was tilted out - you only have a power port and usb connection.
It also protrudes out a lot (the mechanism that holds the phone).

Not to mention for the price of the lapdock and phone combo, you could get a cheap phone and a cheap laptop.

Last edited:

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes, i'm aware and what happened to it?

It never made it out of the concept stage and into mass market appeal :).

Pretty much. It was a neat idea but was in it's awkward early stage. It didn't get to grow and evolve. Kind of like Windows Phone and a bunch of other MS things.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Pretty much. It was a neat idea but was in it's awkward early stage. It didn't get to grow and evolve. Kind of like Windows Phone and a bunch of other MS things.

Well, lets not get into the Windows phone and growth debate that's been discussed adnauseam plus there are pleeeeenty of threads about that if you want to have discussion about it.

The HP Elite x3 does allot of things right, that giant 4000 + battery, front facing bang and olfusen speakers with noise cancellation mics which not looks the part; they will definitely sound the part. As I have a feeling nothing subpar would have done for HP when it came to x3 and it shows - which phone has ever incorporated a finger print scanner and a iris scanner?

Speaking of iris scanner, look up eyeverify they are trying to get banks to use that as means of authentication and that is not scanning your retina, but the top and veins of your eyes for a unique "fingerprint" so they say (it's purely software based). However combined with the iris scanner in these phones, it can be a very powerful tool and authentication method. Say for instance banks do pick up this sort of technology, the natural progression would be a iris scanner. Retina scanning from a distance on consumer devices currently is just not possible yet; who knows it maybe in a few years from now.

So, yes the HP Elite x3 is just the beginning.

Last edited:

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Agreed! This is exactly the kick in the pants that MS needed! Hopefully HP can motivate them quickly to improve upon all the remaining W10M bugs, provide the needed drivers in time, and inspire other OEM's to compete! The mobile future looks good again. :smile:

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I think this debate needs widening out, maybe the question should be, "When is a phone a phone, or is it a PC, and who cares, if it works use it".

I am so looking forward to the day I can have calls come on my PC, Surface (Gave up on laptops) and mini tablet (Phone) and answer them irrespective of device, in effect I can do this with Skype and I believe this is where Windows 10 is going phone wise, the PC doesn't need a phone chip in it, It can just piggy back call using the mobile like I just replied to a text using Cortana on my PC, the whole concept of telephony is changing, it's all going VOIP, add in the cloud and the device we call a mobile changes.

The HP device is in many ways a game changer but in truth it's still a phone with big capabilities but as the OP said, this is just the beginning (Well to be more accurate Windows 10 is the beginning).

Although that isn't really a true statement as all of it is just a continued development of previous technology, but you get the point.

I still have a desktop, I have two tablets (Probably give my HP Stream 7 to my boy this weekend so down to just the SP3) and my 1520, this will be replaced by whatever I consider to be the best phone running W10 later on this year (Could be the HP, Surface phone or whatever other nice stuff turns up). By then I hope the new Skype apps have a lot more functionality, so I can call from a PC, or do PC stuff from a phone and switch screen size with ease without having to carry them. So with VOIP/Skype, Universal apps and the cloud, I can turn my lights off and on from all devices, check my heartrate, turn the volume up on my TV, but if someone calls me I am stuck to just one device, makes no sense to me.

As they say in the ads, "the future is Orange, probably with a lot of Gin in it, brighter than you think and MS and friends are on the right side of the ball park".

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss