HP Elite is just the beginning...

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Of course it's the beginning. The question is it going to lead anywhere. With it running W10M I have my doubts.

Well, that is a circular argument:winktongue: (ripple effect etc).

I understand where many of you are coming from and you have your doubts however there are plenty of threads for that particular merry-go-round :grin:.

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
I for one will be seeing how this pans out.

I have a desktop which I hardly ever use, and I gave up with laptops after I bought a Surface Pro 3. Most of the time if it's only something quick I need to look at I'll just use the phone (930).

If things work out for HP I can see this being the way things go, but the elephant in the room is apps. People are looking for a x86 phone to be released, but I guess 90% of people wouldn't use any x86 programs if the UWP apps were available and half decent, not in the consumer market anyway.

It's been mentioned but it's the chicken/egg problem.....only time will see if the apps needed arrive.

hardywang

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Originally posted by Vladimir Ka
I would agree with OP.
Why carry a laptop and a phone when you can just carry a phone and use already existing monitor at work and at home..

This wont be a major player this generation, but 2 Gens from now? When glitches are ironed out and phones are really beefed.. Or when surface phone comes out :)

I am afraid most laptops/desktops for general office purpose are much cheaper than this monster phone. Company thinks about cost. Plus it depends on what kind of companies you talk about, many company will rely on many special programs (e.g. Mainframe client) to run day to day job.

I think the target of audience to use this phone might be very limited to executive or management level employees.

Last edited by a moderator:

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
We must also factor in that "new disruptive technologies" like "foldable displays and 10 and 14 nm" should offer a whole range of new form factors in the near horizon. Samsung has been showing off "foldable displays for years now - how close are they I wonder?

Also, from Microsoft, anyone remember "Courier" - remember, Microsoft is ALL IN to "productivity" and still has a boatload of patents from these concepts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmIgNfp-MdI

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
And here is an even better "demo" of the Courier concept = recall this was over 6 years ago (circa 2008 and 2009) - does anyone remember their "DUMB phones when the FIRST iPhone was launched???

The FIRST iPhone was launched in by Steve Jobs on January 9, 2007 - it seems like 12 to 15 years ago but wasn't = that's "how fast this stuff is moving".

The HP Elite is "definitely just the beginning" as surely HP is now at the cutting edge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFQWc79TYcU

ikvn

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I had an E61 when the iphone was released. It was pretty good, not dumb by any means. That thing was sexy for the time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_E61
Then i had the e71 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_E71 even more sexy.
At that moment Nokia should have realized memory and storage are important. They made the same mistakes of limited storage for like 3-4 more years all the way up to N97.
What retardedness.
Spot on! I used from 5800 XM, N8, N97, N9 and all but the last one was the same joke of memory c and mass memory. I just couldn't get my head round it. Bad decisions can be costly. That said, the Elite X3 has been looking great so far.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Spot on! I used from 5800 XM, N8, N97, N9 and all but the last one was the same joke of memory c and mass memory. I just couldn't get my head round it. Bad decisions can be costly. That said, the Elite X3 has been looking great so far.

N9 sigh.... so much promise :D I went the N97mini, that was pretty bad too, N8 was better ... custom roms were cool.... now I don't care anymore, just have it work well altogether :)

Vittorio Vaselli

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
yes but at what cost?

On azure it costs 10$/month for 40 hours(i use it for at least 160 hours/month... i have to pay 120 extra hours so 0,175$*120= 21$) and you have to bill 20 accounts.

Total 31$/month and i cannot subscribe it myself...

I hope HP Workspace will be less expensive, but i am not expecting a lot of difference.

Tom Westrick

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
I don't think the "plug the phone into a laptop dock" concept itself holds much water. The entire premise seems to try and replicate what laptops have been capable of for decades. The virtualization will replicate what native x86 programs can already do. As for having all your data on one device, it's trivially easy to either cloud sync data, or move files over the wire if a network connection is unavailable.

What does this device do differently or better than using a company issued laptop with desktop Windows and local x86 programs?

ananve

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Cost, i guess.
My company suffers a lot when they have to pay for all those software every time.
With X3, it could be cheaper in theory.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
You can virtually run visual studio from HP Workspace on the Ex3. This is why I want to buy it because to me it represents the full ecosystem experience. The only caveat I really care about now is my internet connection speed.
Tried that on my 950XL this past weekend. Though not the Elite X3, I was able to remote into work and run Visual Studio through my home TV.

CqT3DfBUAAEaGgD.jpg

Nicolas Suraud

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
the problem i see personnally is that you can't put all the ressource on the same device.
if you want your phone to be the brain of everything it's doable BUT the laptop extender should come with power on it's own that add to the phone.

i mean when you are not in a "PC configuration" you don't really need your phone to be the most powerfull device of the universe.
a snapdragon 800 is enough in a phone for pratically any use, if you keep in mind it's a phone.

when plugged in a laptop extender, the extender is where the strong processor should be located. (not sure i am making myself clear).

as long as you want the phone to be the brain AND the powercore of a multi device you'll end up with a not powerfull enough device to be a real PC or laptop remplacement. (like the padfone of asus)

for me the better concept for a multi device will ever be this one

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
if you want your phone to be the brain of everything it's doable BUT the laptop extender should come with power on it's own that add to the phone

But it does come with lots of power on it's own. 46.5 WHr, 4 cell battery. Plug the Elite X3 into the type C connector and the LapDock is charging the phone.

when plugged in a laptop extender, the extender is where the strong processor should be located. (not sure i am making myself clear).

So then you are making it a regular laptop. Add a CPU/GPU and you need a UEFI or Bios, and a way to boot and interact. Even if it is a shell OS it needs an OS. If everything is coming from the phone, this just gets in the way, IMHO.

as long as you want the phone to be the brain AND the powercore of a multi device you'll end up with a not powerfull enough device to be a real PC or laptop remplacement. (like the padfone of asus)

The Snapdragon 820 is 2.2 GHz Quad-Core with an Adreno 530 GPU. There is 4GB of LPDDR4, dual channel RAM running at 1866 MHz. It can support a 4K external display. How much more do you think it needs in the LapDock to "boost" it?

The Asus PadPhone was a Snapdragon S4+ dual core Krait at 1.5 GHz with Adreno 225 GPU and only had 1GB RAM.

Nicolas Suraud

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
I was talking of the concept on a larger scale.

Sur the lapdock got a huge battery And the x3 is packed with nice specs on it's own
But it's also going to be way to high priced to be an every home device

The lapdock, if it came with some backup RAM and a nice cpu, could potentially turn ANY windows phone into a laptop remplacement, even some of the cheaper lumia (as it would take the power it lacks in the dock )

And THAT would be a nice way to touch a new public

Some People are reluctant to go outside with a phone as expensive as a X3 (risk of breaking/loosing it, of thievery...)
.they don' t really need a powerhouse in their pocket just to text and make some calls

? cheap phone becoming as powerfull as a pc WHEN docked once at home or job on the other hand would interest them more

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos