Will "Average Joe" be able to buy the Elite X3?

supask8a23

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm your run of the mill smartphone user, I don't buy unlocked phones, have never switched carriers and so on. I'm on Verizon right now with a 928 with my 2 year contract having ended, and am waiting it out for this alleged Surface Phone (yeah yeah wasting my time, won't ever happen, they've given up on windows phone blah blah)

But I've been very impressed by the Elite X3 and since the reality of a Surface Phone is slowly diminishing I was thinking I might jump on the HP bandwagon...

Here's the problem: "The Elite x3 won't be available through wireless carriers; instead HP will offer it through business channels directly to companies."

Sooo basically the average person can't get this unless they work for a company that offers it?

ALSO this was Microsoft's strategy for the Surface Phone making it "more business oriented" will Microsoft do the same thing? Am I interpreting this quote wrong? Why would they make such an impressive phone and not make it available the entire public?

http://www.cnet.com/products/hp-elite-x3/#!

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Will the Average Joe be able to buy HP Elite X3? I don't think so

The HP Elite X3 is first and foremost geared to the enterprise and given the amount of tech onboard it won't be cheap either. Therefore it may be sold to consumers via Microsoft or HP's own website as the only consumer channels (perhaps licensed partners as well).

The Surface Phone if anything will need to perform dual roles - be geared for the enterprise and delight users all across the spectrum. However we can only speculate what the actual product will be in terms of design and functionality.

BryceMD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

Why wouldn't 'run of the mill' smartphone users buy unlocked phones? My monthly rate is 20 dollars cheaper just by fact of using my own phone. Not even including any subsidized costs that would have been included otherwise on a contract.

supask8a23

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

run of the mill for me just meant going the easiest route, that's all I've ever done. Pop into Verizon sign a two year contract buy the phone swipe the card, done. Sheeple, robot, if you will that's what I am lol

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
re: Will "Average Joe" be able to buy the Elite X3?

Right. Run of the mill users are buying their phones from the carrier and having their monthly bill padded by the amortized cost. At least in the US.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site

One word advice to you....
CHANGE

I'm your run of the mill smartphone user, I don't buy unlocked phones, have never switched carriers and so on. I'm on Verizon right now with a 928 with my 2 year contract having ended...

npoe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I'm somewhat interested on the phone but I'll probably keep the 950 XL for 2 or 3 years. Unless something too awesome appears next year, but it has to be really awesome.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I don't think you will be seeing any windows phones coming to Verizon anytime soon if at all. I would not be surprised if they block the HP as they did with the 950's. I was watching a vlog from last summer/fall with Paul Thurott, Leo Laporte and MJ Foley. Paul had inside info in which he stated if you like WP/mobile, VZW is not for you. He didn't elaborate any further.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Why wouldn't 'run of the mill' smartphone users buy unlocked phones? My monthly rate is 20 dollars cheaper just by fact of using my own phone. Not even including any subsidized costs that would have been included otherwise on a contract.
Buying unlocked phones means buying them online in most cases. Many people want to look at and try out the phones in a store before buying.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

Buying unlocked phones means buying them online in most cases. Many people want to look at and try out the phones in a store before buying.

I tend to think buying unlocked phones is the most common method except for certain countries where locked phones are the norm. And online isn't as common as you think. Stores and shops are the common feature where phones are on display and buy it there and then

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I tend to think buying unlocked phones is the most common method except for certain countries where locked phones are the norm. And online isn't as common as you think. Stores and shops are the common feature where phones are on display and buy it there and then

Here in the US, the only brick and mortar stores that sell unlocked phones are Microsoft Stores, Apple Stores, B&H Photo (only one store in New York City), and some Best Buy stores (Nexus and Moto). So the selection is very limited here.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
The big question for the OP is...Will the X3 support Verizon wireless. From a discussion on Twitter with Mary Jo Foley said that HP was trying to win Verizon but, nothing set in stone. Time will tell, As I am in the same case as the OP, I have an ICON but, there really is no other choices for a Windows Phone device that beats out the ICON on Verizon.

As for buying. I am sure you will be able to buy one. The question is how and when. Normally these corp products are available for the corporate customers right away but, consumer version gets delayed a little. Keep in mind they are gearing this product towards businesses, they have said that. Not everyone has 5000 user busness, some places have 10-15 employees and I am sure they would offer this to smaller busnesses. So as a end user getting one, I am sure it wont be a problem unless they have a delay on selling to small business (most people could quaifly for a small business even with a little white lie).

The ONLY problem that most people will have is, no carrier discounts on it. So if the phone is released for $699, if you want one, it will cost you $699. No carrier billing a montly fee, or anything of that sort. I guess you could get a credit card and finance it for $20 for 2 years :-\

Normally when you look over a new phone, say a iPhone 6, it's $599 (for example) but, with new service, it's $199. You wont be able to get these discounts unless the carriers carry the X3 and at this stage, I dont see this happening.

There is a lot of people here who want this phone but, it will be out of reach for a lot of people here because of the cost...

I want this phone but, no matter on how much I want it, not sure about paying $700 for one...

ALSO this was Microsoft's strategy for the Surface Phone making it "more business oriented" will Microsoft do the same thing? Am I interpreting this quote wrong? Why would they make such an impressive phone and not make it available the entire public?

http://www.cnet.com/products/hp-elite-x3/#!

This is a busness product, not a consumer product. Carriers in the US add a lot of red tape, limitations, and changes required for the carriers (Verizon is big on this), never mind costs. By selling a unlocked model, they remove limitations that carriers put on.

Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

The HP Elite X3 is first and foremost geared to the enterprise and given the amount of tech onboard it won't be cheap either. Therefore it may be sold to consumers via Microsoft or HP's own website as the only consumer channels (perhaps licensed partners as well).

The Surface Phone if anything will need to perform dual roles - be geared for the enterprise and delight users all across the spectrum. However we can only speculate what the actual product will be in terms of design and functionality.

What does 'not cheap' translate to? I know its set for business but in the current BYOD climate, they are not going to be compelled to spend too much over what current smart prices are selling for. Lets not even talk about the bumper crop of Chinese flagships from companies like Xiaomi, ZTE, Huahui, One Plus One and others selling for less than half of what we pay for em. I suspect they would have to at least be competitive wouldn't you agree?

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
How do I know if my 950xl is.unlocked?

Where did you buy it? If you got it through AT&T with a contract, it is most likely locked. If you didn't, it is unlocked. Also, AT&T really doesn't care about keeping phones locked to their network. A simple request and they will unlock it within a day or so.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Where did you buy it? If you got it through AT&T with a contract, it is most likely locked. If you didn't, it is unlocked. Also, AT&T really doesn't care about keeping phones locked to their network. A simple request and they will unlock it within a day or so.

I bought it from MS store for $650. Unlocked? Does it show in Settings somewhere?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte