HP Elite x3 vs Lumia 950 XL

Edwardlb20

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Hello All,

So naturally, with a phone upgrade due on the 16th June, I am scouring the web for what is the best windows phone out there.
I am deciding between getting a Lumia 950 XL or waiting out a few weeks for the Elite x3 'Superphone'.

I was wondering whether the x3 was worth waiting for or not. Here are my pros and cons:

What the x3 has over the XL:
- Huge battery
- Fingerprint sensor
- B&O surround speakers
- 8mp front camera
- Snapdragon 820
- Adreno 530 Graphics
- 4GB RAM
- 64GB Default Storage

And what the XL has over the x3:
- More manageable size
- Beautiful mozo cases
- Higher ppi display
- Better rear-facing camera
- better flash (tricolour)
- OIS
- Pureview
- Zeiss lens
- Camera button

Overall the annoying thing about the x3 for me is the rear camera and the size of the phone, but who knows the camera may be alright (yet, even though the camera is important to me, I wouldn't use it on a daily basis). However, that new processor and graphics combo could be game-changing...

List off what you would choose and why...

With Thanks,
Ed

Nindza93

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
Is it certain that the HP elite x3 won't have OIS? Even with it, I doubt that it will have a better camera than the 950.

I would go with the HP, it has everything better, except for the camera.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I'd say the HP.

Bigger battery
13mp cam it's good enough for me
Better speakers
820 SD processor
Better design

Sent from mTalk

MN_Wolverine

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
I am in the midst of the same dilemma.

I had a Lumia 1520 and loved it. Sadly, I broke the screen and my insurance company was unable to find another for me. At the time the 950, in either size, was not available. They eventually purchased an HTC M8 for me and I like the phone. Unfortunately, it is not scheduled to be upgraded to W10.

So, I went to a nearby Microsoft Store to check out Lumias. The short version is that the Microsoft employee told me to not buy the 950 or 950XL. Told me to keep my M8 and wait for other options.

I like your analysis of Pros and Cons between 950 and HP. Can't really disagree with any of it. What I will comment on is the camera/video issue. From time to time I have been worried about a phone's camera, only to not worry about in practice, as I really don't take serious photos that I would want to print out with my phone. If you think about it, most pics we take are for viewing on phones and I doubt most viewers can tell the difference in resolution form one source to the next.

Right now I am not under contract so I can get a phone right now but I'm waiting for the HP before I make my decision and I hope others will come out in the near future a s well.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
You forgot one pro that the XL has over the Elite X3. Availability. The XL is available now. And it's affordable. If you really need a new phone now - then don't wait.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I am in the midst of the same dilemma.

I had a Lumia 1520 and loved it. Sadly, I broke the screen and my insurance company was unable to find another for me. At the time the 950, in either size, was not available. They eventually purchased an HTC M8 for me and I like the phone. Unfortunately, it is not scheduled to be upgraded to W10.

So, I went to a nearby Microsoft Store to check out Lumias. The short version is that the Microsoft employee told me to not buy the 950 or 950XL. Told me to keep my M8 and wait for other options.

I like your analysis of Pros and Cons between 950 and HP. Can't really disagree with any of it. What I will comment on is the camera/video issue. From time to time I have been worried about a phone's camera, only to not worry about in practice, as I really don't take serious photos that I would want to print out with my phone. If you think about it, most pics we take are for viewing on phones and I doubt most viewers can tell the difference in resolution form one source to the next.

Right now I am not under contract so I can get a phone right now but I'm waiting for the HP before I make my decision and I hope others will come out in the near future a s well.

User's can tell, but I don't think it matters so much. I was out with a friend who has an iphone 6s as her primary. And she took a pic of the food naturally so I decided to do the same with my 950xl. And she liked my pic so much better she had me send it to her. She literally said "your phone takes much better pics". But here's the kicker. Normally when she takes pics she doesn't compare them to anything else, so she's happy with them. It's just here she had an opportunity to get something a bit better so she took it. Doesn't mean that she's not happy with the camera.

So all the people who are always comparing cameras, most of them don't even use them professionally or for anything useful, it's just another hardware spec war between users because devices have gotten so close to each other they really have nothing else to fight about.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I was in the same situation until the weekend.

1520 with rapidly dying battery and microphone issues on one in ten calls, so HP or XL..........

Microsoft tipped the scales by cutting the price in the UK by ?70 and threw in a free display dock as sold for ?80 so ?399 all in. Order placed and currently processing.

The specs of the HP are very enticing but I already have an SP3 and high spec PC and I am sure the XP won't be a slowcoach..........

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the availability thing - if you really think you need a device that's capable sooner than later go for the XL, otherwise go for the X3.

macros_1

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Few other things to consider. I was going to wait for the X3, but decided to give the 950 XL another try. Glad I did as it had improved significantly since last November. Couple of things that made me go with the XL for now are.... Removable Battery, replaceable backs (I like to mix things up), not sure if the X3 will have wireless charging, XL has Glance (huge deal for me), pricing right now for the XL is very reasonable, and I'm curious about how well HP will support the phone long term.

Still the X3 looks like a heck of a phone, but there is really nothing on the market that I could find that matches the 950 XL's feature set.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm waiting on the HP to compare. I'm also waiting on the Idol 4 Pro as an alternative. For those who think the HP has better speakers, I suggest waiting and actually listening to it. I have the B&O setup on my HP Spectre x2 and it has 2 speakers on the tablet and 2 more on the keyboard. It rocks right? Hell to the no.

Don't get yourselves caught up in the spec wars, put your hands on the device first. It could save you some unnecessary grief and fewer negative posts on WC.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I would probably go with the HP X3 if I was choosing between just those two. Other differences:

The X3 has a better dock/Continuum for a monitor and keyboard and the ability to plug up to a laptop.

twomoocows

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
Hi Ed.

Another advantage the XL has over the X3 is the ability to have two sim cards as well as a Micro SD Card.

The X3 has a 3 in 2 slot. 2 Nano Sims or One Nano Sim and a Micro SD Card.

I have been looking for a phone that gives me the ability to use 2 Sims and a micro SD and they are few and far between.

Cheers.

Stew.

ayngling

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
I like that the X3 is waterproof, and I really love that mobile extender. My mother is looking to get a new laptop, I'll probably get her that combo instead, as it will do everything she needs. I thought about the X3 myself, but there are three things that are going against it.

1) Size. I actually have the 950, not the XL, the smaller the better (man, I miss my BlackBerry Q10... if only it had Windows 10 and continuum)
2) Camera. I use it a lot and want a great one
3) Replaceable battery. I burn through two a day (cf. Everyday Carry - All day meetings )

Also, although not important, I really like being able to change the back cover (cf. black walnut , brown leather )

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I like that the X3 is waterproof, and I really love that mobile extender. My mother is looking to get a new laptop, I'll probably get her that combo instead, as it will do everything she needs. I thought about the X3 myself, but there are three things that are going against it.

1) Size. I actually have the 950, not the XL, the smaller the better (man, I miss my BlackBerry Q10... if only it had Windows 10 and continuum)
2) Camera. I use it a lot and want a great one
3) Replaceable battery. I burn through two a day (cf. Everyday Carry - All day meetings )

Also, although not important, I really like being able to change the back cover (cf. black walnut , brown leather )

The one downside is pricing is still not available as far as I know, and I would bet that this would be more expensive than buying a tablet or cheaper laptop and a budget friendly phone.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...I would bet that this would be more expensive than buying a tablet or cheaper laptop and a budget friendly phone.

For me... Most likely this 100% correct.

For Enterprise? I would bet bulk purchase knocks it down and subscriptions to HP Workspace (virtualized Win32/x64 software hosted via HO servers) may very well provide rebates on hardware packages.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
For me... Most likely this 100% correct.

For Enterprise? I would bet bulk purchase knocks it down and subscriptions to HP Workspace (virtualized Win32/x64 software hosted via HO servers) may very well provide rebates on hardware packages.

No doubt, but the person I was replying to was talking about buying the HP and mobile extender for his mom instead of a laptop.

You're always up on the latest news. Have you heard anything about the HP even being available to the general public or when it might release?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I got nothing new...

August most likely for a launch. They are waiting on Redstone.

Distribution should be HP online and Microsoft Store. That's all I've heard for supposition.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss