The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
08-24-2016 12:28 AM
101 1234 ...
tools
    Hopefully there's a price drop. That price is too much for me, it's a bit of a disappointment since I had sold all my phones and then bought the Lumia 640 to hold onto hoping that this hp would go for $599 :(
    At $799, I just went for the OnePlus 3 ($399). I'll be back whenever the price is within my range

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    well lets see, its priced $100 less than the base model iPhone and the x3 is killer on specs and its the same price as the base s7 and again the x3 is killer on specs. I don't understand the whining of people when a top of the line flagship is priced accordingly. If you want a cheap phone, then buy a cheap phone.
    Chintan Gohel, ananve and libra89 like this.
    07-17-2016 07:12 PM
    Looks like the price has disappeared from HP's website.
    Stated $799.00 yesterday I don't see it now after checking the link:

HP Elite x3| HP United States
    Chintan Gohel and xandros9 like this.
    07-17-2016 07:30 PM
    In the comments on that thread I saw this
    https://www.facebook.com/CDWCorporation/videos
    just skip to about 11:30 and he says that without the dock it will be $699! That would be awesome
    So the dock is $100...

For $650 you get an Acer Liquid Jade Primo, dock, keyboard and mouse...
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/e?l...token=Q3OILl8x

For those wondering about Camera the Jade Primo has a 21MP rear camera module by Sony so it should be pretty good and also an 8MP ffc for [S]the vain[/S] [S]the selfie obsessed[/S] [S]touching up your makeup[/S] quality Skype Video Calls to [S]Grandma[/S] your business contacts.
    Guytronic, jayblazer and ananve like this.
    07-17-2016 07:32 PM
    I am still waiting patiently on the windows 10 roms for one plus2, one plus 3 and mi5.. One of these will be my next phone.
    07-17-2016 11:31 PM
    With less than 2% of the market share, good luck on selling at that price point.
    07-17-2016 11:55 PM
    With less than 2% of the market share, good luck on selling at that price point.
    businesses will want it since it's more secure compared with the competition and in an obtuse manner, it has less apps so less distractions
    07-18-2016 01:43 AM
    I'm sorry, but I can't see the benefit of Continuum over separate laptop/tablet/2-in1/computer stick and phone. Simple laptop is bigger, but the display is always there without playing with cables and other parts.

What kind of enterprises can do their work with Continuum?
    Guytronic and theefman like this.
    07-18-2016 01:47 AM
    Everyone keeps saying business phone...

I may be a little obtuse but what business are you referring to? Most businesses go cheap with their phones, hardware and software. It's the 'as long as it works' philosophy.

Most companies lease phones, hardware and software if it's not BYO.

So unless I'm mistaken, this is going to be a niche product for a select bunch of companies who want something like this and are willing to pay for it.
    07-18-2016 05:13 AM
    Everyone keeps saying business phone...

I may be a little obtuse but what business are you referring to? Most businesses go cheap with their phones, hardware and software. It's the 'as long as it works' philosophy.

Most companies lease phones, hardware and software if it's not BYO.

So unless I'm mistaken, this is going to be a niche product for a select bunch of companies who want something like this and are willing to pay for it.
    I've just thought of this: cars usually have displays, right? What if he phone can be used to connect to the bigger display? I'm thinking police forces can use this - wasn't there a report of some police department in USA being happy with their windows phones?
    ananve and RumoredNow like this.
    07-18-2016 05:29 AM
    I've just thought of this: cars usually have displays, right? What if he phone can be used to connect to the bigger display? I'm thinking police forces can use this - wasn't there a report of some police department in USA being happy with their windows phones?
    Yes I recall that but they would need a justification for something this expensive. Even police departments have a budget, which are generally not that large.
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    07-18-2016 05:34 AM

Nearly everyone of them. Most of their software is cloud based.
    07-18-2016 05:37 AM
    Nearly everyone of them. Most of their software is cloud based.
    First explain what you mean by enterprise and we'll go from there.
    Last edited by N_LaRUE; 07-18-2016 at 06:09 AM.
    libra89 and Chintan Gohel like this.
    07-18-2016 05:39 AM
    First explain what you mean by enterprise and we'll go from there.
    Maybe let Wikipedia explain it to you.

Enterprise software, also known as enterprise application software (EAS), is computer software used to satisfy the needs of an organization rather than individual users. Such organizations would include businesses, schools, interest-based user groups, clubs, charities, or governments
    Last edited by KimRM; 07-18-2016 at 07:41 AM.
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    07-18-2016 07:27 AM
    Maybe let Wikipedia explain it to you.

Enterprise software, also known as enterprise application software (EAS), is computer software used to satisfy the needs of an organization rather than individual users. Such organizations would include businesses, schools, interest-based user groups, clubs, charities, or governments
    OK so in other words your statement about Continuum being workable for all enterprises is incorrect. Not all enterprises are using cloud software.

So you over generalised but that's OK.

There is also the issue of having Windows 10 and the latest software working with Windows 10. Something a lot of enterprises don't have.
    libra89 and Chintan Gohel like this.
    07-18-2016 07:54 AM
    I need to see how well the camera is before considering. As a amateur photographer, this is very important (which is why I got the 1520 in the first place).
    07-18-2016 09:02 AM
    Mary Jo Foley just tweeted that price is $699 US - $799 with dock - Available August 29th

https://twitter.com/maryjofoley

https://twitter.com/search?q=windows%20phone&src=tyah
    Chintan Gohel and xandros9 like this.
    07-18-2016 10:07 AM
    Remember their target market - business. This aims to replace that iPhone ($900) and laptop ($1000). Time will tell if they can sell that model. But the hardware is excellent. One of the highest spec phones available to buy and certainly the most capable (assuming your goal is business integration).
    07-18-2016 10:08 AM
    businesses will want it since it's more secure compared with the competition and in an obtuse manner, it has less apps so less distractions
    Businesses would lock down the device so you couldn't install apps anyway.

I agree with whoever said it above. My office (and most) go with the cheapest solution. That is why my work phone is a casio flip phone and my option for an app device is an ipod touch...combined is about $250. Could still add a laptop for $500 and have 3 devices for $799.

Not that it isn't intriguing. I just think the excitement should be a bit more tempered.
    07-18-2016 11:44 AM
    Businesses would lock down the device so you couldn't install apps anyway.

I agree with whoever said it above. My office (and most) go with the cheapest solution. That is why my work phone is a casio flip phone and my option for an app device is an ipod touch...combined is about $250. Could still add a laptop for $500 and have 3 devices for $799.

Not that it isn't intriguing. I just think the excitement should be a bit more tempered.
    you have a point but not all if them I guess
    RumoredNow and N_LaRUE like this.
    07-18-2016 11:52 AM
    I'm sorry, but I can't see the benefit of Continuum over separate laptop/tablet/2-in1/computer stick and phone. Simple laptop is bigger, but the display is always there without playing with cables and other parts.

At your desk you have a monitor, keyboard and mouse, plus the Desk Dock. All wired in place. Leave it there. What is the cost savings of no PC or Thin Client needed?

On the road at your hotel, at home, visiting other offices out on calls... Use the Lap Dock. No extra wires compared to a lap top. The Lap Dock has Miracast built in... Or maybe you want to go wired for a faster connection and to recharge your phone so you just plug in with a USB-C cable. It's not a lot of hassle to plug and play like that. What is the cost savings of no laptop needed?

With a 6" WQHD screen a tablet isn't required. What cost savings there?

Don't look at the price Joe Wantaphone pays for for this stuff off the shelf. Think about the price breaks that surely are there for bulk purchase. Look, this isn't a setup you buy into for Timmy Gopher and Billy Sweepstheplace. It's for the career types like Sally Bigwig and Steven Pennysqueezer, right?

And with Dual SIM the chances that your employees have their work and private number on the same device increases greatly and the chance that they aren't carrying their "work phone" decreases.

Add in Workspace support and, IMHO, HP has a well thought out offering that will find adopters in very significant numbers.
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 07-18-2016 at 01:27 PM. Reason: typo monkey
    07-18-2016 12:22 PM
    ... and in HP Graphite w the form factor = a damn good looking phone!

Much more so than the Acer Jade Primo, IF the camera is above average, @ $700. might be a winner.
    Chintan Gohel and Kevin Rush like this.
    07-18-2016 12:43 PM
    At your desk you have a monitor, keyboard and mouse, plus the Desk Dock. All wired in place. Leave it there. What is the cost savings of no PC or Thin Client needed?
    And with Dual SIM the chances that your employees have their work and private number on the same device increases greatly and the chance that they aren't carrying their "work phone" decreases.
    I must be an exception then :D
    I make software for work, Java and database stuff with Eclipse and PostgreSQL. I have a laptop (W7 installed instead of 8.x, no upgrade to W10 planned), mouse and second display. I do a lot of bulk processing and some DB development on remote server over VPN, but all SW development is local. When I go from remote to actual workplace, I have another display there - the rest fits easily in a laptop backpack. I don't see how I could do my work with Continuum phone except moving everything to remote machine. Even with good 4G, latency can make that inefficient.

OK, there are workplaces where this phone could replace separate PC, but also separate laptop/2-in-1 could replace this phone ;) It depends on management, IT and workers, if they are gonna buy this. Maybe HP can make very good deals. Maybe there exists real benefits using W10 on all levels. Time will tell.
    I would expect people with personal android and Apple phones to continue using their own phones, whatever Windows phone is given to them. I do hope all parts of W10 succeeding and all platforms pushing new features so that others can improve and compete. Custom internal tools can be developed in-house or contracted, with all UWP goodness and bridges. With limited mobile user base, situation may not look too rosy for other (including off-work) apps. Time will tell.

Time will tell, with 100% accuracy :)
    RumoredNow likes this.
    07-18-2016 02:38 PM
    Possibly even more important than the initial cost of the device is the cost of HP Workspace for virtualization. Is there any information available on that?

MJ Foley was quoted as saying in a now aged article that "We dont have many details on HP Workspace yet, but an HP spokesperson told Foley that a monthly subscription per user will be required to use the service, and Foley added that the appropriate virtualization licensing for use of apps on a corporate network also must be in place." This was from February 2016, but I didn't find much newer information available.
    07-18-2016 02:57 PM
    I must be an exception then :D

Time will tell, with 100% accuracy :)
    Absolutely the use case exists somewhere above 0% and less than 100%.

Not every business or employee can benefit, anyone should agree there.
    MDK22, Guytronic and xandros9 like this.
    07-18-2016 03:10 PM
    I just have to nitpick a little.

The display dock costs about as much as a kangaru or an ideastick and more than a raspberry pi. It is also unfair to compare the docking station to a desktop or thin client which could for example play Chips Challenge.

On the road at your hotel, at home, visiting other offices out on calls... Use the Lap Dock. No extra wires compared to a lap top. The Lap Dock has Miracast built in... Or maybe you want to go wired for a faster connection and to recharge your phone so you just plug in with a USB-C cable. It's not a lot of hassle to plug and play like that. What is the cost savings of no laptop needed?
    Many laptops have Miracast built in. Ignoring that though, your laptop is already plugged into the screen attached to it without additional wires or keyboards to carry around. The docking station would be similar to plugging in your PC stick with the same peripherals, except real windows and a phone that will work independently. Same thing with Lapdock and phone vs laptop and phone.

With a 6" WQHD screen a tablet isn't required. What cost savings there?
    This would be the same with any large screen phone.

Don't look at the price Joe Wantaphone pays for for this stuff off the shelf. Think about the price breaks that surely are there for bulk purchase. Look, this isn't a setup you buy into for Timmy Gopher and Billy Sweepstheplace. It's for the career types like Sally Bigwig and Steven Pennysqueezer, right?

Except even many MS diehards on this site still carry a separate android or apple phone to have access to particular apps. I've said it before, but unless you are Kevin Gates, no one wants to carry two phones. Plus if you use your own phone, normally work will pay part of your cell bill. Probably less than what work would pay on their own, but more than $0 the person would expect to get toward his bill.

Add in Workspace support and, IMHO, HP has a well thought out offering that will find adopters in very significant numbers.
    I think they have delivered the most compelling Windows Phone since the Lumia 1020 and 1520. I do not know if it will succeed though. I'm not willing to place a bet either way.

I agree with Kimmo Toivanen. I don't see the benefit of Continuum over a great majority of work environments. I think if Windows mobile was Windows 10, I would be sold. It is better than screen mirroring (acts as a second screen). In some ways it is better than chromecast (doesn't require an internet connection for the connected device and allows more variety of apps to work), in others it is not (chromecast uses the processing power of a different device). In reality I don't think it saves you any money over the competition. Any large 6" phone plus a cheap PC stick would cost the same as a 6" phone plus a docking station and have greater abilities. Ignoring that, I don't think Continuum would be that much better than a bluetooth keyboard and Miracast--except for the lag with mouse movements.
    07-18-2016 04:04 PM
101 1234 ...