HP Elite X3 selling for $799.00 in the US!

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Remember their target market - business. This aims to replace that iPhone ($900) and laptop ($1000). Time will tell if they can sell that model. But the hardware is excellent. One of the highest spec phones available to buy and certainly the most capable (assuming your goal is business integration).

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
businesses will want it since it's more secure compared with the competition and in an obtuse manner, it has less apps so less distractions

Businesses would lock down the device so you couldn't install apps anyway.

I agree with whoever said it above. My office (and most) go with the cheapest solution. That is why my work phone is a casio flip phone and my option for an app device is an ipod touch...combined is about $250. Could still add a laptop for $500 and have 3 devices for $799.

Not that it isn't intriguing. I just think the excitement should be a bit more tempered.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Businesses would lock down the device so you couldn't install apps anyway.

I agree with whoever said it above. My office (and most) go with the cheapest solution. That is why my work phone is a casio flip phone and my option for an app device is an ipod touch...combined is about $250. Could still add a laptop for $500 and have 3 devices for $799.

Not that it isn't intriguing. I just think the excitement should be a bit more tempered.

you have a point but not all if them I guess

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry, but I can't see the benefit of Continuum over separate laptop/tablet/2-in1/computer stick and phone. Simple laptop is bigger, but the display is always there without playing with cables and other parts.

What kind of enterprises can do their work with Continuum?

At your desk you have a monitor, keyboard and mouse, plus the Desk Dock. All wired in place. Leave it there. What is the cost savings of no PC or Thin Client needed?

On the road at your hotel, at home, visiting other offices out on calls... Use the Lap Dock. No extra wires compared to a lap top. The Lap Dock has Miracast built in... Or maybe you want to go wired for a faster connection and to recharge your phone so you just plug in with a USB-C cable. It's not a lot of hassle to plug and play like that. What is the cost savings of no laptop needed?

With a 6" WQHD screen a tablet isn't required. What cost savings there?

Don't look at the price Joe Wantaphone pays for for this stuff off the shelf. Think about the price breaks that surely are there for bulk purchase. Look, this isn't a setup you buy into for Timmy Gopher and Billy Sweepstheplace. It's for the career types like Sally Bigwig and Steven Pennysqueezer, right?

And with Dual SIM the chances that your employees have their work and private number on the same device increases greatly and the chance that they aren't carrying their "work phone" decreases.

Add in Workspace support and, IMHO, HP has a well thought out offering that will find adopters in very significant numbers.

Last edited:

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
... and in HP Graphite w the form factor = a damn good looking phone!

Much more so than the Acer Jade Primo, IF the camera is above average, @ $700. might be a winner.

Kimmo Toivanen

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
At your desk you have a monitor, keyboard and mouse, plus the Desk Dock. All wired in place. Leave it there. What is the cost savings of no PC or Thin Client needed?
And with Dual SIM the chances that your employees have their work and private number on the same device increases greatly and the chance that they aren't carrying their "work phone" decreases.

I must be an exception then :D
I make software for work, Java and database stuff with Eclipse and PostgreSQL. I have a laptop (W7 installed instead of 8.x, no upgrade to W10 planned), mouse and second display. I do a lot of bulk processing and some DB development on remote server over VPN, but all SW development is local. When I go from remote to actual workplace, I have another display there - the rest fits easily in a laptop backpack. I don't see how I could do my work with Continuum phone except moving everything to remote machine. Even with good 4G, latency can make that inefficient.

OK, there are workplaces where this phone could replace separate PC, but also separate laptop/2-in-1 could replace this phone ;) It depends on management, IT and workers, if they are gonna buy this. Maybe HP can make very good deals. Maybe there exists real benefits using W10 on all levels. Time will tell.
I would expect people with personal android and Apple phones to continue using their own phones, whatever Windows phone is given to them. I do hope all parts of W10 succeeding and all platforms pushing new features so that others can improve and compete. Custom internal tools can be developed in-house or contracted, with all UWP goodness and bridges. With limited mobile user base, situation may not look too rosy for other (including off-work) apps. Time will tell.

Time will tell, with 100% accuracy :)

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Possibly even more important than the initial cost of the device is the cost of HP Workspace for virtualization. Is there any information available on that?

MJ Foley was quoted as saying in a now aged article that "We don?t have many details on HP Workspace yet, but an HP spokesperson told Foley that a monthly subscription per user will be required to use the service, and Foley added that ?the appropriate virtualization licensing for use of apps on a corporate network also must be in place?." This was from February 2016, but I didn't find much newer information available.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I just have to nitpick a little.

The display dock costs about as much as a kangaru or an ideastick and more than a raspberry pi. It is also unfair to compare the docking station to a desktop or thin client which could for example play Chips Challenge.

On the road at your hotel, at home, visiting other offices out on calls... Use the Lap Dock. No extra wires compared to a lap top. The Lap Dock has Miracast built in... Or maybe you want to go wired for a faster connection and to recharge your phone so you just plug in with a USB-C cable. It's not a lot of hassle to plug and play like that. What is the cost savings of no laptop needed?

Many laptops have Miracast built in. Ignoring that though, your laptop is already plugged into the screen attached to it without additional wires or keyboards to carry around. The docking station would be similar to plugging in your PC stick with the same peripherals, except real windows and a phone that will work independently. Same thing with Lapdock and phone vs laptop and phone.

This would be the same with any large screen phone.

Don't look at the price Joe Wantaphone pays for for this stuff off the shelf. Think about the price breaks that surely are there for bulk purchase. Look, this isn't a setup you buy into for Timmy Gopher and Billy Sweepstheplace. It's for the career types like Sally Bigwig and Steven Pennysqueezer, right?

Except even many MS diehards on this site still carry a separate android or apple phone to have access to particular apps. I've said it before, but unless you are Kevin Gates, no one wants to carry two phones. Plus if you use your own phone, normally work will pay part of your cell bill. Probably less than what work would pay on their own, but more than $0 the person would expect to get toward his bill.

Add in Workspace support and, IMHO, HP has a well thought out offering that will find adopters in very significant numbers.

I think they have delivered the most compelling Windows Phone since the Lumia 1020 and 1520. I do not know if it will succeed though. I'm not willing to place a bet either way.

I agree with Kimmo Toivanen. I don't see the benefit of Continuum over a great majority of work environments. I think if Windows mobile was Windows 10, I would be sold. It is better than screen mirroring (acts as a second screen). In some ways it is better than chromecast (doesn't require an internet connection for the connected device and allows more variety of apps to work), in others it is not (chromecast uses the processing power of a different device). In reality I don't think it saves you any money over the competition. Any large 6" phone plus a cheap PC stick would cost the same as a 6" phone plus a docking station and have greater abilities. Ignoring that, I don't think Continuum would be that much better than a bluetooth keyboard and Miracast--except for the lag with mouse movements.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
The premium is actually a HI starting point, so the discounts look better.
These are being manufactured / spec'd / sold to Businesses - NOT one of those Businesses will be paying &799. per.
If I discount from $800 to $625 per, that looks good ...

My prediction = around about Black Friday (ish), you'll be able to pick this up for $599! Even less / sooner, IF adoption doesn't materialize.

If adoption doesn't materialize, do you want to invest in that phone?

well lets see, its priced $100 less than the base model iPhone and the x3 is killer on specs and its the same price as the base s7 and again the x3 is killer on specs. I don't understand the whining of people when a top of the line flagship is priced accordingly. If you want a cheap phone, then buy a cheap phone.

Because some of us realize, no matter which phone it is, S7, the XYZ phone or an iphone, some of us refuse to pay that much for a phone.

I need to see how well the camera is before considering. As a amateur photographer, this is very important (which is why I got the 1520 in the first place).

You should be using a camera then, instead of a phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
If adoption doesn't materialize, do you want to invest in that phone?

IF you mean buy one, absolutely, barring any major firmware glitches ...
looks like a very solid device, especially if I can get it cheaper than $700.
Interested @ $500, definite buy @ $400, as I said before - barring any major issues.

Last edited:

Ukemochi57

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
businesses will want it since it's more secure compared with the competition and in an obtuse manner, it has less apps so less distractions

I'm sorry but I disagree with that, I unfortunately work in corporate at our company, which is a Fortune 100, the mind set that of the corporate world which can afford to buy on a large scale are now going the route of what their people personally like more, not how secure the phone is. And all the people not in denial know it's going to be one or the other, iOS or Android.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Not to be a pain or repeat myself but I can't see a large company buying this phone in bulk. Mobility in a large company is for a relatively small amount of people compared to the rest of the staff.

Very few people at my work have laptops, even fewer have company phones. I work for a very large company.

So generally what's being said is this a phone with a specific type of business in mind. Mobile sales people comes to mind more than anyone else. Maybe some managers (if mobile) depending on the software that's used at the company as not everything is available for Windows Mobile 10.

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
OK so in other words your statement about Continuum being workable for all enterprises is incorrect. Not all enterprises are using cloud software.

So you over generalised but that's OK.

There is also the issue of having Windows 10 and the latest software working with Windows 10. Something a lot of enterprises don't have.

I said "nearly" and "most", so no, not ALL enterprises are using cloud software.
So you just made up my statement with your own words so it could fit your opinion. Cool... but hey, that's OK.

You say you work in a large company, and all employees don't even have laptops. Clearly your company is not an enterprise within the target group. For a large enterprise that needs to use software it is crazy to not run the software through servers or Citrix like solutions, either through their own server or Azure (cloud). The support cost of installing and maintaining local applications on each computer is massive. So for them to get a device that they can not f*ck up with adware and crap, that is secure and work great on both big monitor and small screen, and run all their software through remoteApp is a total win.
Why you are denying this so hard must only be because you yourself don't fit in the picture.

Cheers!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I said "nearly" and "most", so no, not ALL enterprises are using cloud software.
So you just made up my statement with your own words so it could fit your opinion. Cool... but hey, that's OK.

You say you work in a large company, and all employees don't even have laptops. Clearly your company is not an enterprise within the target group. For a large enterprise that needs to use software it is crazy to not run the software through servers or Citrix like solutions, either through their own server or Azure (cloud). The support cost of installing and maintaining local applications on each computer is massive. So for them to get a device that they can not f*ck up with adware and crap, that is secure and work great on both big monitor and small screen, and run all their software through remoteApp is a total win.
Why you are denying this so hard must only be because you yourself don't fit in the picture.

Cheers!

First, sorry for misreading your statement. My mind isn't the best at the moment.

Second I can only go by the several companies I've worked for (around 10 or so) and all of them have been typically behind the times with software and OS.

Yes my company uses Citrix for some applications but not all and it would crash the Citrix servers if we did have all our software through that. We have some pretty hefty software and have issues as it is.

Our company is supported by IBM for all IT services, no I'm not a fan if you're wondering. IBM locks down the system pretty well to the point of almost crippling it.

Other companies I've worked for were not locked down as much and I can't really say where they are now as that was over 5 years ago.

When you're working in and dealing with a large number of people, companies are a bit slow to change. When you have very large projects worth lots of money like we do, change can be a dangerous thing.

Some companies are a bit more forward thinking but the companies I've worked for have all been very cautious and slow to upgrade.

To give you the rundown of what I use:

Realitively recent upgrade to Windows 7, Office 2007, Lotus Notes 8.5, other software is of various older versions.

My PC is about 7 years old.

Need I say more?

Y2HBK

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Not to be a pain or repeat myself but I can't see a large company buying this phone in bulk. Mobility in a large company is for a relatively small amount of people compared to the rest of the staff.

Very few people at my work have laptops, even fewer have company phones. I work for a very large company.

So generally what's being said is this a phone with a specific type of business in mind. Mobile sales people comes to mind more than anyone else. Maybe some managers (if mobile) depending on the software that's used at the company as not everything is available for Windows Mobile 10.

I guess it depends on what your view of large is. The company I work for has 3,500 employees and well over half of them are mobile - be it with a laptop or an iPad.

Our biggest issue is that we are a VMWare shop. There is no UWP app for their Horizon client. We have some apps where a per-app-VPN tunnel doesn't work/isn't viable or there is no mobile variant and requires that standard desktop access.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I guess it depends on what your view of large is. The company I work for has 3,500 employees and well over half of them are mobile - be it with a laptop or an iPad.

Our biggest issue is that we are a VMWare shop. There is no UWP app for their Horizon client. We have some apps where a per-app-VPN tunnel doesn't work/isn't viable or there is no mobile variant and requires that standard desktop access.

I am speaking from personal experience here, I should make that a bit more clear. I don't know what all companies do or if a phone like this would be suitable for people while out.

The large companies I have worked for and work for have staff that is largely stationary.

As for what I consider a large company. I work for a international company. My office campus alone has over 2500 employees. That's four buildings, four floors each. Some floors are not full at the moment but may be filled in the near future.

The project I'm on has more than 4000 people on it, spanning four continents.

The other companies I've worked for have been of similar size and style.

So you'll have to excuse me if my perception is a bit warped.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I'd imagine a suitable application would be engineers (in the field), nurses, possibly teachers.
On that last note, my daughter (teacher) brings her laptop home, periodically, BUT the bulk of her work is lightweight. The HP Elite x3 would probably fill the bill, perhaps w an add on to facilitate communication, internally (replacing phones in the classroom).
The ability to add on (pogo pins) is the missing link, to customize the hardware with add on bits, pertinent to your use case. The device could replace a toughbook, with a suitable case & less cost.
The add on could also be your personal add on (your sleeve, with your ID / SDcard), your info / preferences on a shared device, with security administered thru the add on.

Just some of the use cases ... I'm sure we could figure out many more.

It could also evolve into a big brother thing ... not that this doesn't already exist.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre