09-08-2017 11:09 AM
153 1234 ...
tools
    I know, that's the "current published GLOBAL" datasheet - I know it lists US model - but "then why would the HP sales rep say that CDMA is on-board"?

It's a cat and mouse game!
    07-25-2016 12:15 PM
    I know, that's the "current published GLOBAL" datasheet - I know it lists US model - but "then why would the HP sales rep say that CDMA is on-board"?

It's a cat and mouse game!
    Because the SoC is capable even if it is not enabled. I looked in on that Reddit and the guy is in Sales... That's his job and his slant. He's not an Engineer. He didn't make the thing. He is supposed to push the thing.

When you go for service on your car do you listen to the guy in the showroom or the mechanic?
    Guytronic, libra89 and Kevin Rush like this.
    07-25-2016 12:59 PM
    How could being able to sell devices to all of those folks not be worth it?
    Touche...
    I understand Verizon is the only option for many of it's users.

I have nothing against the company I just think GSM is a less complex option.
    07-25-2016 01:23 PM
    I have nothing against the company I just think GSM is a less complex option.
    I'm not an engineer at Qualcomm, so I cannot say for sure, but I don't know if GSM is less complex. I think it's more that GSM is the worldwide standard, therefore that's what is the most common. Verizon does also use GSM for LTE, requiring their phones to have both GSM and CDMA. I guess that in itself makes it more complex.

If a factory unlocked device has CDMA enabled, you can simply insert a Verizon SIM card and go. To the end user, it is no more complex than with AT&T, T-Mobile, or any other GSM carrier. In fact, I've never needed to manually create an APN on Verizon, but with GSM carriers it is often necessary. That could be because I usually used MVNOs though; I'm not sure if it would be necessary with AT&T or T-Mobile, or any other non-MVNO.

Similar to many other posters here, I am baffled as to why Microsoft and HP did not enable the CDMA technology in their phones. I don't think expected low sales numbers are the reason. My logic for that is that Google's Nexus devices have CDMA enabled, and they sell in relatively low numbers.
    Guytronic, libra89, a5cent and 3 others like this.
    07-25-2016 03:17 PM
    Because the SoC is capable even if it is not enabled. I looked in on that Reddit and the guy is in Sales... That's his job and his slant. He's not an Engineer. He didn't make the thing. He is supposed to push the thing.

When you go for service on your car do you listen to the guy in the showroom or the mechanic?
    Sorry ... I live in Silicon Valley and personally worked for HP - for 15 years - in Global Accounts sales at both corporate and the Computer systems group HQ as a senior sales manager ... and, I speak with good knowledge!

HP does NOT monkey around when it comes to delivering large Enterprise solutions to their largest Enterprise customers!

Whatever we get to read and see is mouse nuts compared to what's really happening - and has been happening - for many, many months now ... out of the public eye!

Would you "like to make a no money gentlemen's bet" that the HP Elite x3 ends up on Verizon"???

I am trying to find out but there is a blanket of secrecy on Verizon!

How about a poll as to who believes or not !!!

PS I "think" we are on the same side = don't shoot the messenger, this is a healthy "conversation" in a democracy = CORRECT??? I am NOT the enemy if I don't accept a stupid datasheet!

PPS What side of the fence were you on as to whether the Verizon Lumia Icon "would or would NOT get Windows 10 Mobile UPGRADE"?

Be honest !!!

My Icon, running Windows 10 Mobile has been my AWESOME daily driver since early June 2016!
    Last edited by dksf42; 07-25-2016 at 06:22 PM.
    07-25-2016 06:02 PM
    Because CDMA is currently in use and will continue to be in use during the expected lifespan of these phones.
    Big Red has announced they are sunsetting CDMA by the end of 2019. Are these phones expected to last only a little over 3 years? Maybe in the consumer world this holds water but I doubt corporate purchases will be made knowing there will be such a short lifespan.
    Guytronic likes this.
    07-25-2016 06:23 PM
    Would you "like to make a no money gentlemen's bet" that the HP Elite x3 ends up on Verizon"???
    I'm not saying it won't ever be on Vzw, just that it is not set up to be right now. Kindly check the FCC testing documentation and advise us where you see that CDMA or LTE Band 13 was ever put forth as a capability for this device. https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...c_id=B94HHF606 There isn't a conspiracy to hide a capability here. The FCC gets full disclosure on what a device can do. Right now... Today... This device is not Verzion capable with the hardware revision we see at launch.

PPS What side of the fence were you on as to whether the Verizon Lumia Icon "would or would NOT get Windows 10 Mobile UPGRADE"?
    Honestly I don't think picking sides has anything to do with it. Did I think Icon deserved to be on W10M? Absolutely. Was I personally concerned? Absolutely not. I do not now, nor do I plan to have, an Icon. I cast my vote (with my $$$) long ago for the superior 1520.

I live in Silicon Valley and personally worked for HP - for 15 years - in Global Accounts sales at both corporate and the Computer systems group HQ as a senior sales manager ... and, I speak with good knowledge!
    And you do sound like you know what you are talking about, but from the little I saw on the Reddit that guy whatever he is (because internet) doesn't really seem like he's comfortable or knowledgeable answering technical questions. I see far more authoritative posts here on WC every day from regular folks who've never worked for HP.

Do I hope that those trapped on Verizon (yes trapped, it's an awful carrier with the most expensive plans in the world and it gouges consumers horribly) could get access to the HP Elite X3? Absolutely. Will I try and stir up false hope and say buy one now and they will flip a switch in a month or two and it will all work out? Absolutely not.

Please see my comments in the nigh interminable will 950/XL come to Verizon threads...
    libra89 likes this.
    07-25-2016 06:56 PM
    I'm not saying it won't ever be on Vzw, just that it is not set up to be right now. Kindly check the FCC testing documentation and advise us where you see that CDMA or LTE Band 13 was ever put forth as a capability for this device. https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...c_id=B94HHF606 There isn't a conspiracy to hide a capability here. The FCC gets full disclosure on what a device can do. Right now... Today... This device is not Verzion capable with the hardware revision we see at launch.

Honestly I don't think picking sides has anything to do with it. Did I think Icon deserved to be on W10M? Absolutely. Was I personally concerned? Absolutely not. I do not now, nor do I plan to have, an Icon. I cast my vote (with my $$$) long ago for the superior 1520.

And you do sound like you know what you are talking about, but from the little I saw on the Reddit that guy whatever he is (because internet) doesn't really seem like he's comfortable or knowledgeable answering technical questions. I see far more authoritative posts here on WC every day from regular folks who've never worked for HP.

Do I hope that those trapped on Verizon (yes trapped, it's an awful carrier with the most expensive plans in the world and it gouges consumers horribly) could get access to the HP Elite X3? Absolutely. Will I try and stir up false hope and say buy one now and they will flip a switch in a month or two and it will all work out? Absolutely not.

Please see my comments in the nigh interminable will 950/XL come to Verizon threads...
    Amen = we shall all soon see !

PS It could be worse = NO HP Elite x3 and ALL of us Windows 10 Mobile "believers" are screwed !!!
    RumoredNow likes this.
    07-25-2016 07:06 PM
    Big Red has announced they are sunsetting CDMA by the end of 2019. Are these phones expected to last only a little over 3 years? Maybe in the consumer world this holds water but I doubt corporate purchases will be made knowing there will be such a short lifespan.
    Sure. Does that make it reasonable to just flat out ignore that huge market and potential sales during those three years, particularly when the cost to technically support that is almost nothing? I think not. That's my point.
    tgp and xandros9 like this.
    07-26-2016 07:41 AM
    Sure. Does that make it reasonable to just flat out ignore that huge market and potential sales during those three years, particularly when the cost to technically support that is almost nothing? I think not. That's my point.
    My guess is that Verizon makes unreasonable demands. This isn't the first handset that ships without support for VZW's bands. It costs more in man-hours (minuscule, I know) to flip the switch off than it would to leave the chips alone.
    libra89 likes this.
    07-26-2016 09:40 AM
    Good point, but first of all, every single iPhone and Android that has been sold by Verizon for years into the Enterprise is in the same boat!

Second - as far as I have read - Verizon has already begun turning on VoLTE - is this also Band 13?
    07-26-2016 10:07 AM
    I posted this on the Verizon Wireless forum in response to a question about whether Verizon was going to get any new Windows 10 phones in the near future:

"I am beginning to doubt it. Why would any manufacturer want to deal with the headache of both getting FCC certification, then turn around and jump through the lengthy and to a large extent needles testing that Verizon seems fond of requiring. If GSM phones pass FCC testing, they are basically good to go from there.

If VZW is not willing to actively market Windows phones like they do Apple toys and Android junk, or even keep Windows phones in their stores, does anyone wonder why the OEMs are all looking at going solely GSM-based? Verizon is lagging behind in making the switch to VoLTE simply because they don't want to have to spend the additional money all at once for more towers which VoLTE will require since it is basically the same as GSM-base LTE. Higher frequency signals require closer spaced towers, due to the fixe output wattage they are allowed to transmit/receive at.

Why else would they keep CDMA tech? As long as they can milk that cash cow using existing hardware, their profits will stay up.

Once they have to compete in the LTE arena with AT&T and T-Mobile, then they are facing real competition, something they don't have with Sprint and US Cellular, both of which are too small to hurt VZW."

My reasoning is simply VZW isn't going to VoLTE till they absolutely have to. The backhaul change-out, plus the additional towers isn't something stock owners like to hear is eating into their dividends.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    07-26-2016 12:56 PM
    I have, for the most part, always been a Verizon customer. I left for 2 years when the iPhone 3GS came out and was still AT&T exclusive. I switched back to Verizon the day my contract expired bc my service was so awful in my area.

Here I am years later and I'm giving very serious consideration to switching to AT&T again. I get a 18% discount through my work. We have 4 lines on the family plan but it sounds like only I will be switching. I contemplated T-Mobile but the few people in my area with it aren't happy. Really hoping I don't make the wrong decision but at least I get 2 weeks to try it out (I think).
    07-27-2016 05:14 AM
    As we debate whether "Verizon Hates Us" or NOT, I'd rather look at this "mysterious Certification process" and even the option of a Verizon MVNO.

Remember, under the 700 MHz FCC action that Verizon "won", there are rules - and - also remember, that in this exploding IoT world = it is NOT just about a smartphone but a whole range of devices.

I found this in less than 1 minute of searching !

https://opennetwork.verizonwireless....ment/home.html

AND ... check this out = IF Motorola CAN do it and Samsung CAN do it, then HP should as well !

Just pick "Device Type = smartphone" and hit Filter

https://opennetwork.verizonwireless....ks=FourGGlobal

screenshot-303-.png
    Last edited by dksf42; 07-31-2016 at 10:37 AM.
    07-31-2016 10:11 AM
    ^ That MS could easily certify their devices for use on Verizon's CDMA network is well understood . That's undisputed and has already been mentioned previously. The real question is under what circumstances certification becomes economically or legally unviable despite being technically rather trivial.
    Guytronic and Y2HBK like this.
    07-31-2016 04:29 PM
    ^ That MS could easily certify their devices for use on Verizon's CDMA network is well understood . That's undisputed and has already been mentioned previously. The real question is under what circumstances certification becomes economically or legally unviable despite being technically rather trivial.
    Well, I think we are about to find out as the HP Elite x3 - without also being certified on the US's largest carrier - is in serious trouble out of the gate.

There is no more "runway" to get Windows 10 Mobile to take-off in the Enterprise !

This is no longer just a HP vs Verizon = this is about the life or death of Windows 10 Mobile!

The "Enterprise is the last stand"!

Microsoft finally revealed (sort of) how many Lumia phones it sold in Q2 2016 | Windows Central
    Last edited by dksf42; 07-31-2016 at 07:09 PM.
    07-31-2016 06:51 PM
    As we debate whether "Verizon Hates Us" or NOT, I'd rather look at this "mysterious Certification process" and even the option of a Verizon MVNO.

Remember, under the 700 MHz FCC action that Verizon "won", there are rules - and - also remember, that in this exploding IoT world = it is NOT just about a smartphone but a whole range of devices.

I found this in less than 1 minute of searching !

https://opennetwork.verizonwireless....ment/home.html

AND ... check this out = IF Motorola CAN do it and Samsung CAN do it, then HP should as well !

Just pick "Device Type = smartphone" and hit Filter

https://opennetwork.verizonwireless....ks=FourGGlobal

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (303).png 
Views:	15 
Size:	182.0 KB 
ID:	129017
    Thank you. This is great information. Maybe it actually is possible for HP to get it certified for the unfriendly and "difficult" Verizon network. If a large corporate customer said their purchase of the phones was contingent on certification. I'm not saying it will happen, just saying that it seems like it could be possible. No thanks to Verizon.
    07-31-2016 09:56 PM
    Well, I think we are about to find out as the HP Elite x3 - without also being certified on the US's largest carrier - is in serious trouble out of the gate.

There is no more "runway" to get Windows 10 Mobile to take-off in the Enterprise !

This is no longer just a HP vs Verizon = this is about the life or death of Windows 10 Mobile!

Microsoft finally revealed (sort of) how many Lumia phones it sold in Q2 2016 | Windows Central
    That's a bit dramatic, you know one carrier in the US is not the world, right? Especially when the US has never been the biggest market for Microsoft's mobile OS......

Sent from mTalk on my Acer A12
    RumoredNow and a5cent like this.
    07-31-2016 10:51 PM
    That's a bit dramatic, you know one carrier in the US is not the world, right? Especially when the US has never been the biggest market for Microsoft's mobile OS......

Sent from mTalk on my Acer A12
    Of course, this whole thread is "Verizon Hates Us", so I was not speaking for the whole GSM world, I was ONLY speaking about the largest carrier in the US.
    08-01-2016 09:45 AM
    Of course, this whole thread is "Verizon Hates Us", so I was not speaking for the whole GSM world, I was ONLY speaking about the largest carrier in the US.
    But when you say:

you actually are. In any case, just trying to point out this device nor the platform isn't necessarily dependent on being on Verizon for its success, HP is obviously well aware of and has accounted for the Verizon situation and is happy enough to launch their device at this time. Time will tell if a Verizon variant will surface.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    08-01-2016 10:05 AM
    Thank you. This is great information. Maybe it actually is possible for HP to get it certified for the unfriendly and "difficult" Verizon network. If a large corporate customer said their purchase of the phones was contingent on certification. I'm not saying it will happen, just saying that it seems like it could be possible. No thanks to Verizon.
    You're welcome ... digging a little deeper, check this out !

"Devices & Modules

LG-RS988

Key Features
    •Dimensions: 149.4 X 73.9 X 7.3 mm
    •Air Interface: CDMA 1X/EVDO/eHRPD (BC0 / BC1), GSM(850/900/1800/1900) WCDMA Band 1/ Band 2/ Band 5 / Band 8 LTE Band 13 / Band4 / Band 2 / Band 5, Category 6

NOW, tell me that neither HP nor Microsoft can not do this as well !!!

screenshot-307-.png
    08-01-2016 10:30 AM
    You're welcome ... digging a little deeper, check this out !

"Devices & Modules

LG-RS988

Key Features
    Dimensions: 149.4 X 73.9 X 7.3 mm
    Air Interface: CDMA 1X/EVDO/eHRPD (BC0 / BC1), GSM(850/900/1800/1900) WCDMA Band 1/ Band 2/ Band 5 / Band 8 LTE Band 13 / Band4 / Band 2 / Band 5, Category 6

NOW, tell me that neither HP nor Microsoft can not do this as well !!!
    Well, that's kind of the point - they haven't.

I beat this drum with the 950's. It's an identity mark essentially, for Microsoft, and HP: Until you actually DO something, you haven't done it. Particularly when others are doing it.

Sometimes in life, and business, you have to buck up and DO something, sometimes unpleasant, to show to your customers, your competitors, and yes, even yourself, that you can DO it.

I would suspect that Microsoft's costs for certification would be somewhat less than a month's cumulative salary for 2850 soon to be laid off mobile employees. Certainly nothing more than a rounding error in the whole Nokia fiasco.
    08-01-2016 12:54 PM

You don't understand. Microsoft, HP, and AT&T are all thinking about business and enterprise. That is their focus.
    08-01-2016 04:46 PM
    You don't understand. Microsoft, HP, and AT&T are all thinking about business and enterprise. That is their focus.
    Excuse me = I spent 15 years of my career at HP, as a senior manager, selling to Global Enterprise Accounts = what exactly, don't I understand?
    08-02-2016 11:49 AM
    Excuse me = I spent 15 years of my career at HP, as a senior manager, selling to Global Enterprise Accounts = what exactly, don't I understand?
    Sarcasm for one. The use of the equals sign and punctuation for another.
    Paolo Ferrazza likes this.
    08-02-2016 01:39 PM
153 1234 ...