HP Elite X3 - Verizon hates us

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
^ That MS could easily certify their devices for use on Verizon's CDMA network is well understood . That's undisputed and has already been mentioned previously. The real question is under what circumstances certification becomes economically or legally unviable despite being technically rather trivial.

Well, I think we are about to find out as the HP Elite x3 - without also being certified on the US's largest carrier - is in serious trouble out of the gate.

There is no more "runway" to get Windows 10 Mobile to take-off in the Enterprise !

This is no longer just a HP vs Verizon = this is about the life or death of Windows 10 Mobile!

The "Enterprise is the last stand"!

Microsoft finally revealed (sort of) how many Lumia phones it sold in Q2 2016 | Windows Central

Last edited:

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
As we debate whether "Verizon Hates Us" or NOT, I'd rather look at this "mysterious Certification process" and even the option of a Verizon MVNO.

Remember, under the 700 MHz FCC action that Verizon "won", there are rules - and - also remember, that in this exploding IoT world = it is NOT just about a smartphone but a whole range of devices.

I found this in less than 1 minute of searching !

https://opennetwork.verizonwireless.com/content/open-development/home.html

AND ... check this out = IF Motorola CAN do it and Samsung CAN do it, then HP should as well !

Just pick "Device Type = smartphone" and hit Filter

https://opennetwork.verizonwireless...ent/devices-modules.html?networks=FourGGlobal

View attachment 129017

Thank you. This is great information. Maybe it actually is possible for HP to get it certified for the unfriendly and "difficult" Verizon network. If a large corporate customer said their purchase of the phones was contingent on certification. I'm not saying it will happen, just saying that it seems like it could be possible. No thanks to Verizon.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Well, I think we are about to find out as the HP Elite x3 - without also being certified on the US's largest carrier - is in serious trouble out of the gate.

There is no more "runway" to get Windows 10 Mobile to take-off in the Enterprise !

This is no longer just a HP vs Verizon = this is about the life or death of Windows 10 Mobile!

Microsoft finally revealed (sort of) how many Lumia phones it sold in Q2 2016 | Windows Central

That's a bit dramatic, you know one carrier in the US is not the world, right? Especially when the US has never been the biggest market for Microsoft's mobile OS......

Sent from mTalk on my Acer A12

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
That's a bit dramatic, you know one carrier in the US is not the world, right? Especially when the US has never been the biggest market for Microsoft's mobile OS......

Sent from mTalk on my Acer A12

Of course, this whole thread is "Verizon Hates Us", so I was not speaking for the whole GSM world, I was ONLY speaking about the largest carrier in the US.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Of course, this whole thread is "Verizon Hates Us", so I was not speaking for the whole GSM world, I was ONLY speaking about the largest carrier in the US.

But when you say:

you actually are. In any case, just trying to point out this device nor the platform isn't necessarily dependent on being on Verizon for its success, HP is obviously well aware of and has accounted for the Verizon situation and is happy enough to launch their device at this time. Time will tell if a Verizon variant will surface.

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Thank you. This is great information. Maybe it actually is possible for HP to get it certified for the unfriendly and "difficult" Verizon network. If a large corporate customer said their purchase of the phones was contingent on certification. I'm not saying it will happen, just saying that it seems like it could be possible. No thanks to Verizon.

You're welcome ... digging a little deeper, check this out !

"Devices & Modules

LG-RS988

Key Features
•Dimensions: 149.4 X 73.9 X 7.3 mm
•Air Interface: CDMA 1X/EVDO/eHRPD (BC0 / BC1), GSM(850/900/1800/1900) WCDMA Band 1/ Band 2/ Band 5 / Band 8 LTE Band 13 / Band4 / Band 2 / Band 5, Category 6

NOW, tell me that neither HP nor Microsoft can not do this as well !!!

Screenshot (307).png

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
You're welcome ... digging a little deeper, check this out !

"Devices & Modules

LG-RS988

Key Features
?Dimensions: 149.4 X 73.9 X 7.3 mm
?Air Interface: CDMA 1X/EVDO/eHRPD (BC0 / BC1), GSM(850/900/1800/1900) WCDMA Band 1/ Band 2/ Band 5 / Band 8 LTE Band 13 / Band4 / Band 2 / Band 5, Category 6

NOW, tell me that neither HP nor Microsoft can not do this as well !!!

Well, that's kind of the point - they haven't.

I beat this drum with the 950's. It's an identity mark essentially, for Microsoft, and HP: Until you actually DO something, you haven't done it. Particularly when others are doing it.

Sometimes in life, and business, you have to buck up and DO something, sometimes unpleasant, to show to your customers, your competitors, and yes, even yourself, that you can DO it.

I would suspect that Microsoft's costs for certification would be somewhat less than a month's cumulative salary for 2850 soon to be laid off mobile employees. Certainly nothing more than a rounding error in the whole Nokia fiasco.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

You don't understand. Microsoft, HP, and AT&T are all thinking about business and enterprise. That is their focus.

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
You don't understand. Microsoft, HP, and AT&T are all thinking about business and enterprise. That is their focus.

Excuse me = I spent 15 years of my career at HP, as a senior manager, selling to Global Enterprise Accounts = what exactly, don't I understand?

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Back to the "original topic":

1) Verizon Hates Us where Verizon is US ONLY and the largest US Carrier

2) This is just about the HP Elite x3 which both Microsoft and HP have "strictly focused on the Enterprise"!

3) Since Verizon is US ONLY, THEN this thread and all comments "should be limited" to the US Enterprise Market and NOT "International"

4) The "fact IS" that neither HP, nor Verizon, nor Microsoft for that matter have EVER OFFICIALLY stated that the HP Elite x3 WILL or WILL NOT "be an option" once the HP Elite x3 is officially launched IN THE US on August 29, 2016

5) We are just a bunch of "pawns" on a very large chessboard to even say anything that is cast in concrete

6) Therefore - I humbly submit - that we are just "speculating" and

7) Having fun ... just like "do UFOs REALLY exist"?

Anyone else who really want to see the HP Elite x3 on Verizon - one way or another ?

Last edited:

JM_Thomas

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I just hope the x3 makes it to VZW, either in it's current form, or maybe a couple months later as a VZW "exclusive", as long as VZW doesn't hose it up like they have with other "exclusive" units.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is KNOWN to be a PIA to get devices certified to work on their network. Crap I remember on the old Moto data (razor or even the v710 or other hot phones of the day). AT&T would get them, Verizon would not get them till about 6 months later. Always thought it was an exclusive thing but, years later I found out, MOST times, it was because of their certification process.

Still today, new Android devices, or iPhone devices.....Verizon gets the models months in advance to do their certification process...the iPhone is the only one that Verizon bows to as new model will pass through quick if Apple sends it in late. A lot of OEMS want to release sooner and cant wait for Verizon to do their crap.

It's a joke....AT&T takes 1/10 of the time, or something close...for testing and everything on new models. Never mind being fully open to any off the shelf GSM model, as long as it supports their network.

Y2HBK

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Verizon is KNOWN to be a PIA to get devices certified to work on their network. Crap I remember on the old Moto data (razor or even the v710 or other hot phones of the day). AT&T would get them, Verizon would not get them till about 6 months later. Always thought it was an exclusive thing but, years later I found out, MOST times, it was because of their certification process.

Still today, new Android devices, or iPhone devices.....Verizon gets the models months in advance to do their certification process...the iPhone is the only one that Verizon bows to as new model will pass through quick if Apple sends it in late. A lot of OEMS want to release sooner and cant wait for Verizon to do their crap.

It's a joke....AT&T takes 1/10 of the time, or something close...for testing and everything on new models. Never mind being fully open to any off the shelf GSM model, as long as it supports their network.

For what it's worth, I got the Marshmallow update on my Note 5 a LOT sooner than my co-worker on AT&T did.

That being said, I made the jump to AT&T today. I haven't been with them since the days of the iPhone 3GS but hoping their service has improved. I'm sure AT&T is no spring chicken, but tired of getting nickel and dimed by Verizon while they put their corporate spin on it. Everyone at my work thinks I'm nuts but oh well.

Looking forward to the 29th. The company I work for received a business quote from our vendor for our pricing on some of the units today so we will be getting a pre-order in soon.

Unfortunately, I do have some bad news. According to our vendor and HP sales rep the lap dock has been delayed until October.

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
If this is indeed true then the OEMs should take them to court. But a single OEM would never do it. It would have to be a group of companies that get together and file a suit. The issue is that many of them won't do it as Verizon also provides free advertising for them. It's one of those scenarios where Verizon can continue to do bad things because of the benefits of following their tedious expectations.

And what would a court do? Force VZ to accept the device in the case? And just how do you think those users would be treated? If you find your connection fritzy, do you think you could "prove" VZ was giving your device a kick now and then? No. The carriers are the top of the proverbial heap. Even Google Nexus is capitulating to VZ demands for the next generation. And what does VZ go and do with the money they take? They buy Yahoo so they can find new ways to deliver you ads. Do they improve service? Nope! Many manufacturers have let it be known that dealing with VZ certification is painfully difficult. And it's not the service level. It's the proprietary junk useless paperwork/rigamarole.
This move by both HP and MS (HTC also had an activewear device they didn't certify on VZ) is starting to show that it's both a cost and time savings to skip the Red. And worse, they drop the entire CDMA channel by 2018 so where is the ROI on even bothering? It's funny but ATT is better positioned to drop 3G and move to a hybrid 4G/5G world than VZ is to drop CDMA and move to the same hybrid. Look at the sale of Fios assets and then look at the Yahoo purchase and you tell me exactly where VZ thinks they are going to make their cash in the next 10 years...marketing.

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I do NOT care "How Much Verizon Hates Us" as it sure looks like LG has figured out "HOW" to comply with the FCC 700MHz auction "conditions" and get their device CERTIFIED to "operate on Verizon"!

https://opennetwork.verizonwireless...ent/devices-modules/devices/LGRS988_4682.html

Key Features
•Dimensions: 149.4 X 73.9 X 7.3 mm
•Air Interface: CDMA 1X/EVDO/eHRPD (BC0 / BC1), GSM(850/900/1800/1900) WCDMA Band 1/ Band 2/ Band 5 / Band 8 LTE Band 13 / Band4 / Band 2 / Band 5, Category 6

Granted, it is Android but "WHY CAN'T HP or Microsoft do this"??

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
ATTENTION HP and MICROSOFT "executives" - ANYBODY monitoring this thread???

AND ... it gets even better as I wondered "WHY would LG go through ALL of the certification BS" and the phone is probably "old and out-of-stock"???

WELL ... these are "very large, high volume online retailers for the US MARKET"

1) https://www.amazon.com/LG-Unlocked-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3535414

2) LG G5 RS988 32GB Smartphone (Unlocked, Titan) LGRS988.AUSATN B&H

3) LG G5 RS988 32GB Smartphone (Unlocked, Titan)-Newegg.com

MY FAVORITE IS Amazon ... VERIZON = FULLY COMPATIBLE

ScreenHunter_229 Aug. 06 15.55.jpg

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
AND the BEST PART YET ... "Just below the Verizon Wireless - Fully Compatible" is a link to "View more compatibility detail" which yields this!!!

ANYBODY from HP or Microsoft reading this ???

ScreenHunter_233 Aug. 06 16.16.jpg

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
The article seems suspicious. Why are there no comments? Why aren't the comments turned on?

If true, what does certification cost? Maybe we have a Kickstarter and get the phones certified ourselves? I know it has been discussed endlessly, but I think I remember, that the 950 and 950 XL do not have the necessary CDMA radio frequencies? So certification would not be possible.

Just wondering.

I tried using a 950xl on Verizon...even so much as asking our business account rep to help...here's what they said:

"Verizon does not add IMEIs toour database. The device manufacturers are the ones responsible forloading IMEIs into our data base. The best way to test if you can use adevice or not is just to put the existing active SIM card into the new device.However, I suspect you are right that the unlocked Lumia does not have a CDMAradio for voice services and it likely also doesn?t have all the LTE bands weuse. "

The key phrase for me was "The device manufacturers are the ones responsible for loading IMEIs into our data base" meaning that some blame could be on Microsoft.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05