HP Elite X3 - Verizon hates us

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Elite Support would be more versed in knowing that answer if they have it. Also on the opendevelopment site is says in the heading:
Network Technology LTE Multimode with GSM

Maybe that is just a generic listing for their device, but when I compared it to an LG device, it is different. But...it matches all the unlocked GSM compatible models....

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Elite Support would be more versed in knowing that answer if they have it. Also on the opendevelopment site is says in the heading:
Network Technology LTE Multimode with GSM

Maybe that is just a generic listing for their device, but when I compared it to an LG device, it is different. But...it matches all the unlocked GSM compatible models....

Thanks for that info Nate. The big thing I want to know is, can I order the bundle phone/dock bundle from the Microsoft Store (since its cheaper than the phone only at HP) or is there designated stock at HP that is meant for Verizon activations only?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for that info Nate. The big thing I want to know is, can I order the bundle phone/dock bundle from the Microsoft Store (since its cheaper than the phone only at HP) or is there designated stock at HP that is meant for Verizon activations only?

Gotcha. From my perspective it is too soon to tell. I mean if I have a an X3 in my hand now, do I need an active VZ sim to test it on? Or maybe a prepaid VZ SIM card that is activatable, just pop it in and see?

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Gotcha. From my perspective it is too soon to tell. I mean if I have a an X3 in my hand now, do I need an active VZ sim to test it on? Or maybe a prepaid VZ SIM card that is activatable, just pop it in and see?

Great questions! Let us all know if you are able to find out :)

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

Another thing to start checking would be the WDRT app for a VZW ffu or Variant listed for the Elite X3. If that is the case, it would be a seperatly sold model. Like the Telstra model, which has it's own custom variant.

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Sales did NOT know about whether "existing x3" could be upgraded. Tech Support "immediately said "NOT YET"! I replied, "not, yet or not EVER"? She said "we HAVE BEEN WORKING on it for some time" now.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Sales did NOT know about whether "existing x3" could be upgraded. Tech Support "immediately said "NOT YET"! I replied, "not, yet or not EVER"? She said "we HAVE BEEN WORKING on it for some time" now.

That could mean another fw update. Or could mean VZ certification period, which just happened. Only a short while now till it is made official I bet...

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Maybe we will get some new accessories out of this deal? VZW likes to have their own gear on hand for devices like that. Then again I won't hold my breath for a thin VZ silicone case for this device...Maybe the thread author should re-title this one to "HP Elite X3 - Verizon hates us or hates us not"...

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
That could mean another fw update. Or could mean VZ certification period, which just happened. Only a short while now till it is made official I bet...

At least it wasn't a flat out *** NO ***! Also, the sales guy said when I asked if "in stock and available", he said "let me check as we were OUT OF STOCK" but were "expecting a new shipment"!

The word "NEW" caused me to then ask ... "Are there NOW 2 models or just 1 that would work for BOTH Verizon and Att???"

He said ... 1 model !!!

That was VERY encouraging !

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
At least it wasn't a flat out *** NO ***! Also, the sales guy said when I asked if "in stock and available", he said "let me check as we were OUT OF STOCK" but were "expecting a new shipment"!

The word "NEW" caused me to then ask ... "Are there NOW 2 models or just 1 that would work for BOTH Verizon and Att???"

He said ... 1 model !!!

That was VERY encouraging !

Definitely very encouraging! The two people I chatted with were virtually useless and I called the number given in the thread earlier. Hopefully I just caught the late shift whom was unaware of the change. They also didn't have the expert around to ask. They did tell me that they had units in stock though. Sounds like they are all over the place seeing as the other poster above was told they had X3s in stock also.

If I can get HP to confirm MicrosoftStore.com Elite X3s can be added to Verizon, I will jump on that deal, but it sounds like this may need to be a direct purchase from HP stock. (Hence the "new" shipment coming in that may have the newer firmware / activated CDMA radios already on it.)

I wonder when their shipment is expected to arrive? (Assuming they don't already have some ready to go.)

I'll be giving another call in tomorrow :)

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Definitely very encouraging! The two people I chatted with were virtually useless and I called the number given in the thread earlier. Hopefully I just caught the late shift whom was unaware of the change. They also didn't have the expert around to ask. They did tell me that they had units in stock though. Sounds like they are all over the place seeing as the other poster above was told they had X3s in stock also.

If I can get HP to confirm MicrosoftStore.com Elite X3s can be added to Verizon, I will jump on that deal, but it sounds like this may need to be a direct purchase from HP stock. (Hence the "new" shipment coming in that may have the newer firmware / activated CDMA radios already on it.)

I wonder when their shipment is expected to arrive? (Assuming they don't already have some ready to go.)

I'll be giving another call in tomorrow :)

I posted the phone numbers and YES, the sales one ONLY confirmed "stock, available, and WORKS on BOTH Verizon and GSM (ATT).

The "second number" was given to me by SMB sales guy and THEY were the ones I asked about "whether current units WORK" on Verizon = they said NO, working on it.

The HP Elite "SPECIFIC Tech support line" = 1-866-625-1175

BTW: The very fact that HP has set up a "dedicated HP Elite support line" IS for large "Enterprise" deals in progress.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE: Ok, so I just called the HP SMB Sales line for a third time, and the gentleman said they have no knowledge or info on current In-Stock units working for Verizon. It's the third person there that's told me no units will work for Verizon yet, new or existing. Not sure who you've been getting DksF42, but it seems very odd everyone you talked to in sales said yes, and everyone I talked to said no.

That said, I also called the 1-866-625-1175 Elite Support line, and I was transfered to their Premium Elite X3 Specific Tech support. I spoke on the phone for 30 minutes with a gentleman who is specifically responsible for dealing with X3 Support, including Verizon compatibility. He said NO Elite X3s (new or existing) will currently work on Verizon. He said Verizon is still working on building the specific servers to handle Windows 10 mobile, and they were supposed to be done in March. He said that he, himself, even escalated two service tickets directly to Verizon Wireless support a few months ago to see if they would allow X3s on the network just for CDMA network use in the mean time while they were working on the servers, and he still hasn't heard back.

He said of all people, he is keeping a close watch on this because he is a Verizon customer and really wants to get the X3 on the network. I showed him the OpenSource Verizon Wireless link that shows it as certified, and he tried testing his X3 with a Verizon SIM, but said it didnt work. He said the best bet is to call Verizon Wireless tech support to see if they had any info on when they might be allowing the X3s on the network.

As a final interesting tidbit of info, while at first he said all existing X3s should be able to be added to Verizon (once Verizon allows it) since they all X3s have the CDMA radios on board, upon asking if it was ok to buy the X3 at the MicrosoftStore.com, he told me to hold off until there was official word from Verizon because he was told that HP is releasing another Windows 10 Phone and Android phone soon. One would be by the end of this year, the other in early 2018, but he didn't know which was when.

So there is the latest I've got. No Verizon for existing OR new phones... yet.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
They don't hate. A tiny speck of users isn't worth their time. Blame MS not Verizon

Sent from mTalk
They do hate. If they didn't they wouldn't cripple features so users couldn't use them on other carriers. If they didn't hate they wouldn't load so much uninstallable bloatware. Your disdain for Microsoft is obvious, but stay in your lane and don't spread FUD.

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
PuckCowboy ... I ONLY reported what I was told, but thank you for your very detailed report. Perhaps, I am located in Silicon Valley and "most likely" HP HAS a number of HUGE "call centers" in the US.

I guess we simply have to "wait for an official announcement" from HP, Verizon or the bloggers!

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
@PuckCowboy ... someone "actually said" that a NEW MODEL for Windows Phone is in the works - I could care less about any Android version.

Perhaps, that "rumored 835+ version" that MIGHT work with WoW, Project Andromeda, etc. MIGHT NOT have been "cancelled"?

Joe Belfiore reported in July said "NO EXISTING PHONES", only next gen devices!

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
@PuckCowboy ... someone "actually said" that a NEW MODEL for Windows Phone is in the works - I could care less about any Android version.

Perhaps, that "rumored 835+ version" that MIGHT work with WoW, Project Andromeda, etc. MIGHT NOT have been "cancelled"?

Joe Belfiore reported in July said "NO EXISTING PHONES", only next gen devices!

Makes sense. HP dumps its remaining inventory over to VZ. Has that intial device and VZ setup it up on their infrastructure and preperation for their next device. Be awesome if Verizons readiness if for all existing Elite X3 phones. Sounds like that is what will happen. They flip the switch when they are ready and folks can flock to VZ on the HP Elite X3 when ready. Or buy a new one if they have not already.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE 2: Just spent another 30 minutes chatting with an amazingly helpful tech support rep at Verizon Wireless. She took the time to look into all of her systems and device compatibility lists for the HP Elite X3.

She said the Elite X3 did show up in one of their billing lists, so she said it looks to be compatible. I told her about the website and she looked at that, and said any phone on that list should be able to hop on Verizon's network just by adding an activated Verizon SIM card.

She also checked another internal opendev list, but didn't see the phone there yet, so she sent an email directly to the Open development team to get the details on whether the Elite X3 could officially be added to the Verizon network yet. She said she would call me immediately once she got more info. I also emailed the Verizon Open Development email address directly to see if I could get info that way as well.

I will post here once I hear back.

@anywhereanytime... I wasn't trying to call you or anyone else out, I was just merely highlighting there is quite a bit of conflicting info coming from that HP SMB Sales Team. Apologies if it came across otherwise.

As for the "New Model" the HP tech told me about, you may very well be right that it could be a 'Next Gen' device! (I too could care less about an Android model, but just wanted to give all info to provide proper context.)

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
They do hate. If they didn't they wouldn't cripple features so users couldn't use them on other carriers. If they didn't hate they wouldn't load so much uninstallable bloatware. Your disdain for Microsoft is obvious, but stay in your lane and don't spread FUD.

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk

I completely agree as I have been with Verizon for 14 years! At "one time years ago" Microsoft and Verizon were BFFs!

The it all went sour as Verizon "killed the Icon after less than a year" ... over 2 years ago. Yes, we got Denim and Anniversary update, but I'd bet it was Microsoft $$$ that triggered that.

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
UPDATE 2: Just spent another 30 minutes chatting with an amazingly helpful tech support rep at Verizon Wireless. She took the time to look into all of her systems and device compatibility lists for the HP Elite X3.

She said the Elite X3 did show up in one of their billing lists, so she said it looks to be compatible. I told her about the website and she looked at that, and said any phone on that list should be able to hop on Verizon's network just by adding an activated Verizon SIM card.

She also checked another internal opendev list, but didn't see the phone there yet, so she sent an email directly to the Open development team to get the details on whether the Elite X3 could officially be added to the Verizon network yet. She said she would call me immediately once she got more info. I also emailed the Verizon Open Development email address directly to see if I could get info that way as well.

I will post here once I hear back.

@anywhereanytime... I wasn't trying to call you or anyone else out, I was just merely highlighting there is quite a bit of conflicting info coming from that HP SMB Sales Team. Apologies if it came across otherwise.

As for the "New Model" the HP tech told me about, you may very well be right that it could be a 'Next Gen' device! (I too could care less about an Android model, but just wanted to give all info to provide proper context.)

@PuckCowboy, I took ZERO offense, I think that you got better info than I did and tip my hat to you.

Keep digging 😎

PS I called one of our 4 Microsoft stores in Silicon Valley and "the Microsoft sales guy" said "works on Verizon NOW"! I said, can you double check as I thought "coming SOON" but not yet. He put me on hold and came back and said ... YES!

To "me" it means that IT COMING SOON!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs