HP Elite X3 - Verizon hates us

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
UPDATE 2: Just spent another 30 minutes chatting with an amazingly helpful tech support rep at Verizon Wireless. She took the time to look into all of her systems and device compatibility lists for the HP Elite X3.

She said the Elite X3 did show up in one of their billing lists, so she said it looks to be compatible. I told her about the website and she looked at that, and said any phone on that list should be able to hop on Verizon's network just by adding an activated Verizon SIM card.

She also checked another internal opendev list, but didn't see the phone there yet, so she sent an email directly to the Open development team to get the details on whether the Elite X3 could officially be added to the Verizon network yet. She said she would call me immediately once she got more info. I also emailed the Verizon Open Development email address directly to see if I could get info that way as well.

I will post here once I hear back.

@anywhereanytime... I wasn't trying to call you or anyone else out, I was just merely highlighting there is quite a bit of conflicting info coming from that HP SMB Sales Team. Apologies if it came across otherwise.

As for the "New Model" the HP tech told me about, you may very well be right that it could be a 'Next Gen' device! (I too could care less about an Android model, but just wanted to give all info to provide proper context.)
@PuckCowboy, I took ZERO offense, I think that you got better info than I did and tip my hat to you.

Keep digging ??????

PS I called one of our 4 Microsoft stores in Silicon Valley and "the Microsoft sales guy" said "works on Verizon NOW"! I said, can you double check as I thought "coming SOON" but not yet. He put me on hold and came back and said ... YES!

To "me" it means that IT COMING SOON!

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I completely agree as I have been with Verizon for 14 years! At "one time years ago" Microsoft and Verizon were BFFs!

The it all went sour as Verizon "killed the Icon after less than a year" ... over 2 years ago. Yes, we got Denim and Anniversary update, but I'd bet it was Microsoft $$$ that triggered that.

Ya. The ICON had one FW update. That was it. All VZ.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE #3 :

I just received an email back from Rob Ayers with HP. (He is the HP Sales contact person listed on the HP Elite X3 opendev page on Verizon's site.)

These were his exact (and only) words in the email:

"The Verizon version of the Elite x3 is not currently available. It should be listed on HP.com in mid-September."

Sounds to me like there is indeed a different version coming to Verizon (hence the new F606v model number in the certification documents online.) It may very well be that HP is first shipping phones with different firmware for Verizon folks, and then once (or if) they figure out how to update the firmware on existing devices, they will do that as well.

Hope this helps! Looks like we just need to wait another 3 weeks... hopefully.

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
@PuckCowboy ... Excellent follow up details and thanks for sharing! I just got off the phone myself with Verizon Tech Support and a really knowledgeable guy said "It's LISTED on our equipment screen but NO DATE yet". He said, let me ask our "telesales team" if they have any more details ... they didn't yet. He was told that the Telesales team often get "updated only 1 hour before it's available."

He ALSO thought that there would be a NEW Verizon model but told me that Verizon's website has a BYOD "feature" where you can check IF your device CAN work on the Verizon network?

So, I am NOT going to jump on anything until Verizon or HP "officially announce"!

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
@PuckCowboy ... Excellent follow up details and thanks for sharing! I just got off the phone myself with Verizon Tech Support and a really knowledgeable guy said "It's LISTED on our equipment screen but NO DATE yet". He said, let me ask our "telesales team" if they have any more details ... they didn't yet. He was told that the Telesales team often get "updated only 1 hour before it's available."

He ALSO thought that there would be a NEW Verizon model but told me that Verizon's website has a BYOD "feature" where you can check IF your device CAN work on the Verizon network?

So, I am NOT going to jump on anything until Verizon or HP "officially announce"!

@AnywhereAnytime... Thank you for the kind words, and thank you for the research you did and sharing the info you learned as well. I too plan on waiting until something official is announced either way.

As I also noted in past posts, my fingers are crossed that if this is a version truly unique to Verizon, maybe big red asked for a few upgraded tweaks on the internals, most notably an improved camera? ;) Wishful thinking for sure... but ya never know!

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Who would have thunk it. Verizon will be the only one offering a WP and they will have 2 listed. Lol

Twitter: @PhotographyET

Winfan9292

Aug 30, 2017
Visit site
Who would have thunk it. Verizon will be the only one offering a WP and they will have 2 listed. Lol

Twitter: @PhotographyET

I would file this as a rumor, but I spoke to a Verizon business support rep today who my company works with and he said Verizon "will definitely not support any Windows Phones moving forward." He said they were working with HP on the X3, but there were compatability issues with the network.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I would file this as a rumor, but I spoke to a Verizon business support rep today who my company works with and he said Verizon "will definitely not support any Windows Phones moving forward." He said they were working with HP on the X3, but there were compatability issues with the network.

Thanks for the info Winfan9292. That could very well end up being the case, however I find it very odd that Verizon (of all networks) would jump the gun and post the device on it's Open Development page as a device compatible with it's network... when it hasn't been first tested to be compatible with it's network.

Here is the link to that one more time: https://opendevelopment.verizonwireless.com/device-showcase/device/4916

In addition, the HP Business sales rep listed on that Verizon Elite X3 page confirmed to me the Verizon version of the Elite X3 will be available mid-September. As many others have mentioned over the years, Verizon sales reps (business included) have no clue on "most" new handsets until hours before they drop. Not saying your rep is wrong, but he may be behind the loop if Verizon has already posted it as being compatible on their own site. Maybe email him the link above and see what he has to say about it?

Winfan9292

Aug 30, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the info Winfan9292. That could very well end up being the case, however I find it very odd that Verizon (of all networks) would jump the gun and post the device on it's Open Development page as a device compatible with it's network... when it hasn't been first tested to be compatible with it's network.

Here is the link to that one more time: https://opendevelopment.verizonwireless.com/device-showcase/device/4916

In addition, the HP Business sales rep listed on that Verizon Elite X3 page confirmed to me the Verizon version of the Elite X3 will be available mid-September. As many others have mentioned over the years, Verizon sales reps (business included) have no clue on "most" new handsets until hours before they drop. Not saying your rep is wrong, but he may be behind the loop if Verizon has already posted it as being compatible on their own site. Maybe email him the link above and see what he has to say about it?
I spoke to him again today and he said definitely not happening and that "windows phone is being sunset on Verizon" That link is evidently for approved Phones - - doesn't mean they are compatible or will ever have availability according to our rep

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I spoke to him again today and he said definitely not happening and that "windows phone is being sunset on Verizon" That link is evidently for approved Phones - - doesn't mean they are compatible or will ever have availability according to our rep

Interesting. Not to sound dismissive, but your rep doesn't sound like he knows what he's talking about. If you look under the network settings of that page, it shows the device as having CDMA radios and the proper LTE radios to work on Verizon's network. (those radios aren't listed on the current X3).

Based on all the news, info, and people I've contacted at both HP and Verizon, it sounds like something is coming.

As I mentioned in the main thread I started, I reached out to the HP Sales Rep listed on that Verizon page I linked you to, and he emailed me back with these exact words:

"The Verizon version of the Elite x3 is not currently available. It should be listed on HP.com in mid-September."

I also spoke with the premiere HP Elite X3 tech support rep whom said the X3 (or a version of it) will be usable on Verizon, but they are waiting on Verizon to complete back-end work for Windows 10 Mobile. In addition, I spoke to a Verizon tech support rep who also confirmed they are showing the X3 Elite in their computer tech billing system. This doesn't count the FCC WiFi and Bluetooth certifications posted a month or so ago showing a Windows 10 version of the Elite X3 had been certified (or submitted for certification) for Verizon.

Of course, things could change at the drop of a hat, and Verizon could pull their plans to allow the X3 on the network. However, it also sounds like HP is doing the legwork to get the phone certified for Verizon and will do the selling of it. So I can see how Verizon sales reps will (and would have no clue) about all this if there are no plans to sell through Verizon directly. And even when VZW does sell phones, most of the time their sales reps don't even know until the day it's on the sales site.

Anyways, thanks for the additional info, but my guess is we'll all know more in the next few weeks if the HP Elite X3 Rep listed on the X3 Elite Verizon webpage is to be believed.

Winfan9292

Aug 30, 2017
Visit site
Interesting. Not to sound dismissive, but your rep doesn't sound like he knows what he's talking about. If you look under the network settings of that page, it shows the device as having CDMA radios and the proper LTE radios to work on Verizon's network. (those radios aren't listed on the current X3).

Based on all the news, info, and people I've contacted at both HP and Verizon, it sounds like something is coming.

As I mentioned in the main thread I started, I reached out to the HP Sales Rep listed on that Verizon page I linked you to, and he emailed me back with these exact words:

I also spoke with the premiere HP Elite X3 tech support rep whom said the X3 (or a version of it) will be usable on Verizon, but they are waiting on Verizon to complete back-end work for Windows 10 Mobile. In addition, I spoke to a Verizon tech support rep who also confirmed they are showing the X3 Elite in their computer tech billing system. This doesn't count the FCC WiFi and Bluetooth certifications posted a month or so ago showing a Windows 10 version of the Elite X3 had been certified (or submitted for certification) for Verizon.

Of course, things could change at the drop of a hat, and Verizon could pull their plans to allow the X3 on the network. However, it also sounds like HP is doing the legwork to get the phone certified for Verizon and will do the selling of it. So I can see how Verizon sales reps will (and would have no clue) about all this if there are no plans to sell through Verizon directly. And even when VZW does sell phones, most of the time their sales reps don't even know until the day it's on the sales site.

Anyways, thanks for the additional info, but my guess is we'll all know more in the next few weeks if the HP Elite X3 Rep listed on the X3 Elite Verizon webpage is to be believed.

I didn't mean to offend anyone. I am just reporting what I was told. I certainly agree that reps have been wrong on many occasions and as a huge WM fan, I am hoping for a release. Seems like HP and Verizon have some issues to work through

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I didn't mean to offend anyone. I am just reporting what I was told. I certainly agree that reps have been wrong on many occasions and as a huge WM fan, I am hoping for a release. Seems like HP and Verizon have some issues to work through

Not offended at all :) I appreciate the info. Just keeping all up-to-date on what I've been told as well. Fingers crossed!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion