The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
08-04-2017 12:54 PM
118 12345
tools
    Make sure the DisplayPort cable is pushed in all the way. Even if it feels like it's all the way in, push it in a little more.

Do you have any other ways of connecting your x3 to a display (such as a USB-C to DP cable)? That would help determine if it's the Desk Dock. If not, then exchanging the Desk Dock would be a good place to start, but other than that it's hard to narrow down if it's the x3, dock, software or hardware.

----------------------------------

Thank you! Unfortunately, I do not have another connector, but I will give it a shot!
    11-18-2016 08:36 AM
    One of the Cons I just shooted...

11-19-2016 10:47 AM
    One of the Cons I just shooted..
    Hold your phone like a normal person, and that won't happen. Any phone will fall if you lay it in your open palm and tilt your hand. This is not a "con" or defect.
    Jed Cutler, zmancb7 and aximtreo like this.
    11-19-2016 01:48 PM
    After a few submerges and drops the phone doesn't seem to be as loud as it used to be. The bottom speaker sounds "blown out" if I raise the volume above 14, which is a shame since I like to watch some youtube video's in bed. Other than that it seems to run great on the latest insider build. Bluetooth was a bit dodgy with my Plattan ADV BT headset when on production build (breaks up) and the phone feels a lot more responsive on Redstone all together.

Build like a tank though. Not a single scratch as of yet. Just disappointed about the blown out speaker, but its not big enough a problem to send it back for repairs. But I'm definitly getting a smaller phone next year... 6" is just too much for me
    Andrew Pengelly likes this.
    11-20-2016 03:34 PM
    Hold your phone like a normal person, and that won't happen. Any phone will fall if you lay it in your open palm and tilt your hand. This is not a "con" or defect.
    It is not a Cons for you, It is a Cons for me.
    11-21-2016 03:50 AM
    I believe the design of all modern phones seem to suffer from this defect. If you hold them too tightly you accidentally press the exposed buttons on the side. If you hold them too loosely they slide out and fall to the ground. The best option I have found is to buy an external case that is less slippery and at the same time protests the buttons from accidental presses. Of course the downside to this solution is that your very big phone gets even bigger.
    11-21-2016 01:53 PM
    My car has this "defect" too. If I don't grip the steering wheel, it tends to crash. Weird. Maybe I should take it back...
    11-21-2016 04:54 PM
    The sim tray after pulling sd cards a few times seems fragile on my device (I was gentle when removing it). The plastic door component is loose on the tray itself, anyone else experiencing this? Thanks!
    11-22-2016 11:14 AM
    Yes, but I think that's fine and by design, as it helps keeping the our part seal despite of tolerances.
    nate0 likes this.
    11-22-2016 01:07 PM
    So I encountered something that is not very pleasant.

When opening some apps (currently GroupMe and Egnyte), sometimes the app freezes and subsequently crashes my phone... The nav bar is unresponsive, my lock/volume buttons don't work, I don't know what's going on.

I open the app and 2 things happen:

a) it kicks me to the start screen
    b) freezes completely

Kind of annoying. I did a hard reset last night, reallllllly don't want to do another one. I've uninstalled and reinstalled. I don't get notifications for GroupMe either. Very weird.
    then if I don't hold down the lock button down to reset the phone, it'll automatically restart itself.

Edit:

I'm sorry to be such a whiner but my phone's restarted over 5x today. I have the iris scanner set up and twice today it recognizes my eyes, lets me in and then frozen. Black screen, nav bar shows, not responsive, can't lock screen. Have to soft reset just to get my phone back. Getting reallllly annoyed. I'm going to disable iris scanning for now and just leave fingerprint on but this sucks.
    Last edited by zmancb7; 12-01-2016 at 11:26 AM.
    12-01-2016 08:55 AM
    ^^^ Do you use an SD card? I had some stability issues with the phone when I had an SD card with a setting of new apps to be installed on it. I switched the app location to phone, only the rest on the SD card. I also let the phone to format the card. I do not want to jinx it, but since then it was pretty stable. There are still issues with apps opening and closing to the start screen, but the phone never crashes and when I retry the problematic app, it opens properly the second time.
    12-01-2016 01:42 PM
    ^^^ Do you use an SD card? I had some stability issues with the phone when I had an SD card with a setting of new apps to be installed on it. I switched the app location to phone, only the rest on the SD card. I also let the phone to format the card. I do not want to jinx it, but since then it was pretty stable. There are still issues with apps opening and closing to the start screen, but the phone never crashes and when I retry the problematic app, it opens properly the second time.
    hmm I do... ugh this sucks. I could fit everything on the elite but wanted to have extra space just in case. Did it affect your fingerprint/iris scanner at all? I will try after this (hopefully last) hard reset to see if that solves it. Thank you.

how do you format the SD card? Is that an option that comes up when inserting the SD card?
    12-01-2016 02:57 PM
    Even on my 950xl I had problems when trying to have all my apps on the SD Card. So what I have done is have all the apps locally and everything else on the SD Card.
    aximtreo likes this.
    12-01-2016 03:13 PM
    hmm I do... ugh this sucks. I could fit everything on the elite but wanted to have extra space just in case. Did it affect your fingerprint/iris scanner at all? I will try after this (hopefully last) hard reset to see if that solves it. Thank you.

how do you format the SD card? Is that an option that comes up when inserting the SD card?
    Maybe you don't need to format it, I just wanted to give it a minimum space for acting up. It's in the Settings System Storage, when you tap the SD, you'll have a format button at the bottom. I use fingerprint to logon, it was not very reliable with apps on SD, now it behaves as expected. I can live with apps on the phone, 64 GB is enough for me.
    12-01-2016 03:23 PM
    same here, 64GB is plenty, my 64GB SD card is overkill really haha. but I downloaded the device recovery tool as per some advice from reddit and am downloading the same build (most recent one) to the phone now after I did a hard reset for the 3rd time. Hopefully this plus changing the SD card settings fixes all my issues.

Thanks again for the info. Was very frustrated getting a brand new "premium" device and having it work like this. The speed of the device is great, love the lapdock, looks are great, just performance lacking as usual with WP but something I'm very used to. I'll let you know if I have further issues.
    12-01-2016 03:35 PM
    Hi everyone,I have been use this one for a week and everything was good until today I found that the alarms doesn't work,it can vibrate but doesn't fire any sound ...I did try another alarms app,soft and hard reset but it still not work...My fone firmware is 0002.0000.0018.0105....please help...thanks
    12-01-2016 04:57 PM
    Hi everyone,I have been use this one for a week and everything was good until today I found that the alarms doesn't work,it can vibrate but doesn't fire any sound ...I did try another alarms app,soft and hard reset but it still not work...My fone firmware is 0002.0000.0018.0105....please help...thanks
    Is your volume turned up? Alarms don't seem to work when the ringer is off.
    Does the device ring when receiving a phone call?
    Candy_girl2008 and aximtreo like this.
    12-01-2016 09:37 PM
    same here, 64GB is plenty, my 64GB SD card is overkill really haha. but I downloaded the device recovery tool as per some advice from reddit and am downloading the same build (most recent one) to the phone now after I did a hard reset for the 3rd time. Hopefully this plus changing the SD card settings fixes all my issues.

Thanks again for the info. Was very frustrated getting a brand new "premium" device and having it work like this. The speed of the device is great, love the lapdock, looks are great, just performance lacking as usual with WP but something I'm very used to. I'll let you know if I have further issues.
    I felt very much the same. It's not a cheap device and it behaved like an early prototype. I was on the verge of returning it, but then I did that thing with SD settings and it settled down. There's still the issue of apps, even MS ones, occasionally crashing, but at least now they don't take the whole OS with them. And the apps should work reliably from SD, too, but it's not a deal breaker, if I can have reliably my data there.
    12-02-2016 01:07 AM
    @ DOGC_KYLE:Yup,the phone ring when phone call and message,only the alarms not
    12-02-2016 01:53 AM
    @ DOGC_KYLE:Yup,the phone ring when phone call and message,only the alarms not
    On my phone alarms start very quietly and only reach full volume after a few seconds.
    aximtreo likes this.
    12-02-2016 05:32 AM
    I felt very much the same. It's not a cheap device and it behaved like an early prototype. I was on the verge of returning it, but then I did that thing with SD settings and it settled down. There's still the issue of apps, even MS ones, occasionally crashing, but at least now they don't take the whole OS with them. And the apps should work reliably from SD, too, but it's not a deal breaker, if I can have reliably my data there.
    So the issues are solved for now. I just to hell with the SD card. Completely took it out and have everything locally. No issues with biometric so far. Just have some notification issues that a redditor suggested a fix that I'll try later. So far it's running real fast and very smooth compared to the 1520. Paired to my car as both an audio/voice device. Cortana should read me my texts now (I hope!).

Still loving the lap dock too, bluetooth mouse works as expected which is great because I'm not a huge fan of the touchpad clickers (can never find the left click spot!).

Thanks for all the help and advice.
    12-02-2016 06:07 AM
    So the issues are solved for now. I just to hell with the SD card. Completely took it out and have everything locally. No issues with biometric so far. Just have some notification issues that a redditor suggested a fix that I'll try later. So far it's running real fast and very smooth compared to the 1520. Paired to my car as both an audio/voice device. Cortana should read me my texts now (I hope!).

Still loving the lap dock too, bluetooth mouse works as expected which is great because I'm not a huge fan of the touchpad clickers (can never find the left click spot!).

Thanks for all the help and advice.
    If you feel adventurous you can now insert an empty SD card and use it for everything except the apps. It's working fine for me for a week now.
    aximtreo likes this.
    12-02-2016 10:02 AM
    On my phone alarms start very quietly and only reach full volume after a few seconds.
    This is by design in Windows 10, yes. It's more noticeable on the x3 than the Lumias (at least the 920) because the x3 has a lower minimum and higher maximum volume.
    I don't know if ringer volume still affects alarms, I know it did at one point, but have not checked it in a while.
    12-02-2016 01:51 PM
    If you feel adventurous you can now insert an empty SD card and use it for everything except the apps. It's working fine for me for a week now.
    not feeling very adventurous at all. see below:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/windowsphon...ppointed_with/

so disappointed with this phone right now. will have to call msft support tomorrow to send me a new one because all I have now is a useless pair of docks that only work with a functioning phone... which I do not have as of now.
    12-03-2016 08:31 PM
    not feeling very adventurous at all. see below:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/windowsphon...ppointed_with/

so disappointed with this phone right now. will have to call msft support tomorrow to send me a new one because all I have now is a useless pair of docks that only work with a functioning phone... which I do not have as of now.
    If the problems stopped after removing the SIM and the SD, it could mean the tray on your phone is dodgy and there are intermittent contact problems when cards are in.
    12-04-2016 04:22 AM
118 12345