HP Elite x3 Bugs + Defects

DUITDale

May 29, 2014
Visit site
bought my phone at the Microsoft Ignite at launch and I believe it was the very first US handset sold. Perhaps another was on some corner near HP's shipping docks - but this one was through the MS Store. I had injured by Lumia 1520 and the conference scheduling app was kinda important to getting the most out of the trip ...I broke down and went for the new beast. Lots of problems!! Was it the hardware? Was it the restored configuration? ...All I know is the thing was nearly unusable as the screen kept locking randomnly while in use like typing a message for instance ...or during a phone call - can't hang up. The phone also froze as many as a dozen times during the course of a day requiring a lengthy hard shut down and boot sequence. Sometimes it asked to scan the SSD card for errors. It was rumored that a big update was coming and my hopes were that this was merely a software fix away from glorious mobile tech nirvana. After a number of disturbing missed calls and alarms not going off to wake me, I took the thing back to the local MS Store last night and asked for it to be replaced. So far 24 hours and only a small issue that was likely App created (WhatsApp specifically). So far I'm very happy to report that all seems golden and I up to the latest firmware ...etc.

spillsworth

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I'll swap my SIM into a BYOD on Cricket and take some screen caps of my settings for APN/MMS and post them.

Likely tomorrow morning.

I really appreciate the great lengths you went to help a stranger!

I was finally able to get it to work. Right now anyway. I have Default APN activated. I have deleted MMS APN. There is nothing there and it works. Hopefully it will continue to work ! I really like this phone!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Awesome sauce that you got it going.

I have Default APN activated. I have deleted MMS APN.

What it might have done is just read it off the SIM and put it all under Default APN. LOL, usually Windows Phone needs lots of fiddling to get this stuff right for BYOD. We must be making progress. Yay Us!!!

Andrew Pengelly

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm having trouble with my keyboard using Continuum. Generally Contiuum works great with Office on the Elite X3 but on a couple of login screens I needed to negotiate the keyboard displayed the wrong characters. I have a standard 101 USB keyboard and tried a couple of different units to prove it was not a faulty keyboard. The two characters that I observed displaying wrong were -
Character @ displayed as "
Character \ displayed as #
The work around is to use the on screen keyboard to key these characters but that is awkward. Be nice to find a resolution.

rs1

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm having trouble with my keyboard using Continuum. Generally Contiuum works great with Office on the Elite X3 but on a couple of login screens I needed to negotiate the keyboard displayed the wrong characters. I have a standard 101 USB keyboard and tried a couple of different units to prove it was not a faulty keyboard. The two characters that I observed displaying wrong were -
Character @ displayed as "
Character \ displayed as #
The work around is to use the on screen keyboard to key these characters but that is awkward. Be nice to find a resolution.

Sounds like you're somehow using the German QWERTZ keyboard on Continuum. If you're getting the regular English (US) keyboard on the phone itself, and you don't have a need to type in German, you might want to go through the Language or Region settings to remove all references to German.

Andrew Pengelly

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I didn't have a German keyboard but I did have both English (UK) and English (US) listed. I removed the (UK) version and that seems to have resolved the problem. I should also add that I change the Regional Format from Match Phone Language and forced it to English (NZ). Not sure if that had any influence or not. Anyway end result is that it is all appears to be working fine now so thanks for your help.

pjodm

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Hello,
I also run 2 SIM cards & at first I had this issue that the second SIM was not registering.
I found out that when you slide the SIM tray, you have to keep a finger on the second SIM so the card will not slide a bit out of the tray & keep the SIM to be recognized.
Also you will notice that you will be only able to get 2G out of the second SIM. No 3G No 4G No LTE.
Hope it helps.

thelonetechman

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi there,

I am wondering if anyone experiencing any problems with the HP Elite X3 and their Desk Dock.

When I put the Elite X3 on the Desk Dock cradle, my monitor doesn't fully display the Continuum screen; just less than half a screen. I would have to remove the phone and put it back in the cradle immediately, (adjusting it to see if the connection sticks, which sometimes it does, and the full screen appears).

I replaced the Display Port cable and even tried a different monitor. Still a problem.

It?s annoying, and it happens every time. I am wondering if it is a hardware or software issue. Personally, I think it?s a bad Desk Dock, but I see that there is an HP app, Device HUB that can update the HP Desk Dock which could be a software issue on the Desk Dock. Thoughts?

I am also running the last version in Fast Ring Insider 10.0.14965.1001. And even in production, I would experience this ?connection? problem with the Desk Dock.

Thanks.

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,

I am wondering if anyone experiencing any problems with the HP Elite X3 and their Desk Dock.

When I put the Elite X3 on the Desk Dock cradle, my monitor doesn't fully display the Continuum screen; just less than half a screen. I would have to remove the phone and put it back in the cradle immediately, (adjusting it to see if the connection sticks, which sometimes it does, and the full screen appears).

I replaced the Display Port cable and even tried a different monitor. Still a problem.

It’s annoying, and it happens every time. I am wondering if it is a hardware or software issue. Personally, I think it’s a bad Desk Dock, but I see that there is an HP app, Device HUB that can update the HP Desk Dock which could be a software issue on the Desk Dock. Thoughts?

I am also running the last version in Fast Ring Insider 10.0.14965.1001. And even in production, I would experience this “connection” problem with the Desk Dock.

Thanks.
Make sure the DisplayPort cable is pushed in all the way. Even if it feels like it's all the way in, push it in a little more.

Do you have any other ways of connecting your x3 to a display (such as a USB-C to DP cable)? That would help determine if it's the Desk Dock. If not, then exchanging the Desk Dock would be a good place to start, but other than that it's hard to narrow down if it's the x3, dock, software or hardware.

thelonetechman

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Make sure the DisplayPort cable is pushed in all the way. Even if it feels like it's all the way in, push it in a little more.

Do you have any other ways of connecting your x3 to a display (such as a USB-C to DP cable)? That would help determine if it's the Desk Dock. If not, then exchanging the Desk Dock would be a good place to start, but other than that it's hard to narrow down if it's the x3, dock, software or hardware.

----------------------------------

Thank you! Unfortunately, I do not have another connector, but I will give it a shot!

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
After a few submerges and drops the phone doesn't seem to be as loud as it used to be. The bottom speaker sounds "blown out" if I raise the volume above 14, which is a shame since I like to watch some youtube video's in bed. Other than that it seems to run great on the latest insider build. Bluetooth was a bit dodgy with my Plattan ADV BT headset when on production build (breaks up) and the phone feels a lot more responsive on Redstone all together.

Build like a tank though. Not a single scratch as of yet. Just disappointed about the blown out speaker, but its not big enough a problem to send it back for repairs. But I'm definitly getting a smaller phone next year... 6" is just too much for me :sweaty:

Andrew Pengelly

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I believe the design of all modern phones seem to suffer from this defect. If you hold them too tightly you accidentally press the exposed buttons on the side. If you hold them too loosely they slide out and fall to the ground. The best option I have found is to buy an external case that is less slippery and at the same time protests the buttons from accidental presses. Of course the downside to this solution is that your very big phone gets even bigger.

dpgx81

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
The sim tray after pulling sd cards a few times seems fragile on my device (I was gentle when removing it). The plastic door component is loose on the tray itself, anyone else experiencing this? Thanks!

zmancb7

Nov 30, 2016
Visit site
So I encountered something that is not very pleasant.

When opening some apps (currently GroupMe and Egnyte), sometimes the app freezes and subsequently crashes my phone... The nav bar is unresponsive, my lock/volume buttons don't work, I don't know what's going on.

I open the app and 2 things happen:

a) it kicks me to the start screen
b) freezes completely

Kind of annoying. I did a hard reset last night, reallllllly don't want to do another one. I've uninstalled and reinstalled. I don't get notifications for GroupMe either. Very weird.
then if I don't hold down the lock button down to reset the phone, it'll automatically restart itself.

Edit:

I'm sorry to be such a whiner but my phone's restarted over 5x today. I have the iris scanner set up and twice today it recognizes my eyes, lets me in and then frozen. Black screen, nav bar shows, not responsive, can't lock screen. Have to soft reset just to get my phone back. Getting reallllly annoyed. I'm going to disable iris scanning for now and just leave fingerprint on but this sucks.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077