HP Elite x3 Bugs + Defects

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
^^^ Do you use an SD card? I had some stability issues with the phone when I had an SD card with a setting of new apps to be installed on it. I switched the app location to phone, only the rest on the SD card. I also let the phone to format the card. I do not want to jinx it, but since then it was pretty stable. There are still issues with apps opening and closing to the start screen, but the phone never crashes and when I retry the problematic app, it opens properly the second time.

zmancb7

Nov 30, 2016
Visit site
^^^ Do you use an SD card? I had some stability issues with the phone when I had an SD card with a setting of new apps to be installed on it. I switched the app location to phone, only the rest on the SD card. I also let the phone to format the card. I do not want to jinx it, but since then it was pretty stable. There are still issues with apps opening and closing to the start screen, but the phone never crashes and when I retry the problematic app, it opens properly the second time.

hmm I do... ugh this sucks. I could fit everything on the elite but wanted to have extra space just in case. Did it affect your fingerprint/iris scanner at all? I will try after this (hopefully last) hard reset to see if that solves it. Thank you.

how do you format the SD card? Is that an option that comes up when inserting the SD card?

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Even on my 950xl I had problems when trying to have all my apps on the SD Card. So what I have done is have all the apps locally and everything else on the SD Card.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
hmm I do... ugh this sucks. I could fit everything on the elite but wanted to have extra space just in case. Did it affect your fingerprint/iris scanner at all? I will try after this (hopefully last) hard reset to see if that solves it. Thank you.

how do you format the SD card? Is that an option that comes up when inserting the SD card?

Maybe you don't need to format it, I just wanted to give it a minimum space for acting up. It's in the Settings System Storage, when you tap the SD, you'll have a format button at the bottom. I use fingerprint to logon, it was not very reliable with apps on SD, now it behaves as expected. I can live with apps on the phone, 64 GB is enough for me.

zmancb7

Nov 30, 2016
Visit site
same here, 64GB is plenty, my 64GB SD card is overkill really haha. but I downloaded the device recovery tool as per some advice from reddit and am downloading the same build (most recent one) to the phone now after I did a hard reset for the 3rd time. Hopefully this plus changing the SD card settings fixes all my issues.

Thanks again for the info. Was very frustrated getting a brand new "premium" device and having it work like this. The speed of the device is great, love the lapdock, looks are great, just performance lacking as usual with WP but something I'm very used to. I'll let you know if I have further issues.

Candy_girl2008

Nov 19, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone,I have been use this one for a week and everything was good until today I found that the alarms doesn't work,it can vibrate but doesn't fire any sound :crying:...I did try another alarms app,soft and hard reset but it still not work...My fone firmware is 0002.0000.0018.0105....please help...thanks

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,I have been use this one for a week and everything was good until today I found that the alarms doesn't work,it can vibrate but doesn't fire any sound :crying:...I did try another alarms app,soft and hard reset but it still not work...My fone firmware is 0002.0000.0018.0105....please help...thanks
Is your volume turned up? Alarms don't seem to work when the ringer is off.
Does the device ring when receiving a phone call?

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
same here, 64GB is plenty, my 64GB SD card is overkill really haha. but I downloaded the device recovery tool as per some advice from reddit and am downloading the same build (most recent one) to the phone now after I did a hard reset for the 3rd time. Hopefully this plus changing the SD card settings fixes all my issues.

Thanks again for the info. Was very frustrated getting a brand new "premium" device and having it work like this. The speed of the device is great, love the lapdock, looks are great, just performance lacking as usual with WP but something I'm very used to. I'll let you know if I have further issues.
I felt very much the same. It's not a cheap device and it behaved like an early prototype. I was on the verge of returning it, but then I did that thing with SD settings and it settled down. There's still the issue of apps, even MS ones, occasionally crashing, but at least now they don't take the whole OS with them. And the apps should work reliably from SD, too, but it's not a deal breaker, if I can have reliably my data there.

zmancb7

Nov 30, 2016
Visit site
I felt very much the same. It's not a cheap device and it behaved like an early prototype. I was on the verge of returning it, but then I did that thing with SD settings and it settled down. There's still the issue of apps, even MS ones, occasionally crashing, but at least now they don't take the whole OS with them. And the apps should work reliably from SD, too, but it's not a deal breaker, if I can have reliably my data there.

So the issues are solved for now. I just to hell with the SD card. Completely took it out and have everything locally. No issues with biometric so far. Just have some notification issues that a redditor suggested a fix that I'll try later. So far it's running real fast and very smooth compared to the 1520. Paired to my car as both an audio/voice device. Cortana should read me my texts now (I hope!).

Still loving the lap dock too, bluetooth mouse works as expected which is great because I'm not a huge fan of the touchpad clickers (can never find the left click spot!).

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
So the issues are solved for now. I just to hell with the SD card. Completely took it out and have everything locally. No issues with biometric so far. Just have some notification issues that a redditor suggested a fix that I'll try later. So far it's running real fast and very smooth compared to the 1520. Paired to my car as both an audio/voice device. Cortana should read me my texts now (I hope!).

Still loving the lap dock too, bluetooth mouse works as expected which is great because I'm not a huge fan of the touchpad clickers (can never find the left click spot!).

Thanks for all the help and advice.
If you feel adventurous you can now insert an empty SD card and use it for everything except the apps. It's working fine for me for a week now.

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
On my phone alarms start very quietly and only reach full volume after a few seconds.
This is by design in Windows 10, yes. It's more noticeable on the x3 than the Lumias (at least the 920) because the x3 has a lower minimum and higher maximum volume.
I don't know if ringer volume still affects alarms, I know it did at one point, but have not checked it in a while.

zmancb7

Nov 30, 2016
Visit site
If you feel adventurous you can now insert an empty SD card and use it for everything except the apps. It's working fine for me for a week now.

not feeling very adventurous at all. see below:
https://www.reddit.com/r/windowsphone/comments/5gd9kr/unbelievably_frustrated_and_disappointed_with/

so disappointed with this phone right now. will have to call msft support tomorrow to send me a new one because all I have now is a useless pair of docks that only work with a functioning phone... which I do not have as of now.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
not feeling very adventurous at all. see below:
https://www.reddit.com/r/windowsphone/comments/5gd9kr/unbelievably_frustrated_and_disappointed_with/

so disappointed with this phone right now. will have to call msft support tomorrow to send me a new one because all I have now is a useless pair of docks that only work with a functioning phone... which I do not have as of now.

If the problems stopped after removing the SIM and the SD, it could mean the tray on your phone is dodgy and there are intermittent contact problems when cards are in.

zmancb7

Nov 30, 2016
Visit site
If the problems stopped after removing the SIM and the SD, it could mean the tray on your phone is dodgy and there are intermittent contact problems when cards are in.

Yea I read on the HP support forums that others have had the same issue with both SD cards and SIM cards as well. Despite removing my SD card and getting a brand new SIM card, the phone still had issues. Will take to the msft store tomorrow and if they can't give me a new phone I'll call msft. It's a shame a few x3s had this pretty devastating issue. Makes the phone completely unusable.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Yea I read on the HP support forums that others have had the same issue with both SD cards and SIM cards as well. Despite removing my SD card and getting a brand new SIM card, the phone still had issues. Will take to the msft store tomorrow and if they can't give me a new phone I'll call msft. It's a shame a few x3s had this pretty devastating issue. Makes the phone completely unusable.
My phone shut down itself unexpectedly overnight. Good thing I had a classic alarm clock set up as well. If this keeps happening I am switching to Android :devil:

DUITDale

May 29, 2014
Visit site
After replacing the first Elite X3 (MS Store) things seemed much better with the phone being stable. Even so I sporadically continue to hit on the same kind of random freeze, hard reset, unprovoked reboots that you are describing. I've moved all apps to the phone and also bought a very high quality Micro SD card. I've not yet replaced the SIM. It's my educated guess that that tray is where all of this is stemming from. It's frustrating and I feel like I'm a full paying customer being used as a Beta tester.

zmancb7

Nov 30, 2016
Visit site
My phone shut down itself unexpectedly overnight. Good thing I had a classic alarm clock set up as well. If this keeps happening I am switching to Android :devil:

haha I've had that happen with my 1520. Alarm will go off, but the speakers are just like nope. I bought a cheap backup to make sure I wake up!

Weird thing: coming home yesterday, the x3 was connected to my car Bluetooth and wouldn't ya know it, absolutely no skips during playback. It has also been on and functioning since yesterday (with no SIM) and the battery life has improved dramatically. It's around a 2%/hr drain according to my batter app. This is despite me using it as an audio player and email as I test to see if it freezes again without the SIM.

Meanwhile, my 1520 with the new SIM has skipped more during Groove music playback this morning than all the months I've been using it prior to my x3.

Very very weird but hopefully it'll all be over soon.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
^^^ my old L1520 got occasional shakes, the image on screen starts shaking up and down. I thought it was SW, downgraded to WP8.1, it was working fine then it got the shakes again. They are especially severe when battery is ~20%. It could still be SW, possibly FW, but I wanted a working phone that's not Apple or Google and here I am proven wrong.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077