HP Elite x3 Bugs + Defects

Allan Breum

May 19, 2015
Visit site
^^^ my old L1520 got occasional shakes, the image on screen starts shaking up and down. I thought it was SW, downgraded to WP8.1, it was working fine then it got the shakes again. They are especially severe when battery is ~20%. It could still be SW, possibly FW, but I wanted a working phone that's not Apple or Google and here I am proven wrong.

That would be the 'phantom touch' bug. My 1520 has it too, its a hardware issue.
I've found than laying it down on a flat surface and pressing down firmly around the edge of the phone alleviates the issue, for a while.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
That would be the 'phantom touch' bug. My 1520 has it too, its a hardware issue.
I've found than laying it down on a flat surface and pressing down firmly around the edge of the phone alleviates the issue, for a while.

In my case it has always been a tap instead of a scroll, now the phone is inventing its own taps when I am not touching it. And it started after one W10 update so I thought it was SW related. Perhaps the phone is just getting old.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I posted this in a general W10M forum, but it turned out to be an X3 specific problem. The phone can't send emails via SMTP. As a follow up, I upgraded the old L1520 to W10M, have the same account, same settings, same version of OS and app and there it works.

I set up IMAP+SMTP using SSL account on my HP x3 with latest official updates and the app won't send emails from this account. It gets into 'your account is out of date' or some such loop and that's it. It works on my Surface Book, it works on my L1520 with WP8.1, only on the X3 Elite it does not.

Charliest

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
I think you might want to post this on the HP support site. I have the same setup (I use Outlook), meaning IMAP with SSL security and have no problems sending messages.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I think you might want to post this on the HP support site. I have the same setup (I use Outlook), meaning IMAP with SSL security and have no problems sending messages.
I will try that. BTW I just set up the same email account on my very first smartphone, HTC Desire, and it works fine.

zdravez

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Having a pretty major problem that seems to only be when I'm texting. The phone will lock up and become unresponsive to touch. I then have to soft reset the phone. My phone just did it 4 times in a row. I should note I am on release ring or insider updates. Anybody else having this problem? I understand it's probably more to do with the specific build (especially because I have not seen anyone else complain of it yet) than the phone.

it looks like this is an OS bug as i`ve had this repeatedly happen with my Lumia 1520. i`ve experienced this only once with the x3.

Last edited:

zmancb7

Nov 30, 2016
Visit site
so for texting related freezing, I would suggest what @Nate.W recommended and even the AT&T guy is make sure your device is registered with your carrier using your IMEI # and SIM card.

It sounds silly but so far, I've had zero freezes in over 4 days! A new record for the x3!

Any texting issues I had on the 1520 were purely OS related but it never froze on me or required a soft reset. It would just take forever to send the text and wouldn't let me send more than 1 in quick succession, the keyboard cursor would blink but wouldn't let me type.

My next step with the x3 will be logging into my email accounts and slowly adding applications one by one. HP supports been awesome and looking forward to hearing the results as to what was causing the freezing.

azgoth444

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Maps seems to crash after the latest update. If aerial mode is selected it will stop working and go to a black screen and return to menu after that.

woke up this morning and tried to unlock the phone but it seems the phone has frozen on lockscreen. did several soft resets still to no avail. when docked it works but when undocked its still frozen and unresponsive. already updated last night and everything worked fine. i'm not even on DP. does this mean i have to hard reset and start from scratch again?

So i did a hard reset with WDRT..and now it's forever stuck in the Welcome screen. :(

does anyone know how to get out of this frozen screen? i have tried hard reset and wdrt..it just keeps coming back to the welcome screen and freezes. :/

Have gotten a replacement unit. So far everything has been peachy. Works well after updating it.

Note: Screenshot takes double images sometimes.

Last edited:

stephanejap

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Hey all, my X3 has not been able to get 4G LTE. The max I get is*4G HSPA or HSPA+. I'm pretty sure the X3 is an LTE capable device and I used to get LTE on my 950xl. I have*called HP regarding this issue and*changed some of my Internet APN settings but still not getting*LTE. Is anyone else experiencing this? The HP tech I spoke with said that HP would replace the*unit if I still can't get it to work, but I just want to confirm the*X3 actually is an LTE device before I email him back.

azgoth444

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Hey all, my X3 has not been able to get 4G LTE. The max I get is*4G HSPA or HSPA+. I'm pretty sure the X3 is an LTE capable device and I used to get LTE on my 950xl. I have*called HP regarding this issue and*changed some of my Internet APN settings but still not getting*LTE. Is anyone else experiencing this? The HP tech I spoke with said that HP would replace the*unit if I still can't get it to work, but I just want to confirm the*X3 actually is an LTE device before I email him back.

When my replacement unit came, after putting in the sim it didnt register my LTE/mobile data even when i got the APN settings automatically. I went to my service provider and they configured another set of APN settings for me. Now LTE works no problems. Maybe you can visit your nearest service provider and see whether they could help? Also is LTE signal strong in your area? The elite x3 is supposed to be a global gsm phone wise but somehow it doesnt want to register the automatic APN settings for me. It could have worked straight away for others but i havent found a post on that yet though.

stephanejap

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks azgoth444. Would you mind*posting*the APN settings that have*worked for you so that I could give it a try? Just*came back from the AT&T store and they tried everything (dude even went on windowscentral.com*to look for information!!!) and I'm still only showing HSPA/HSPA+... I would really appreciate it.

azgoth444

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks azgoth444. Would you mind*posting*the APN settings that have*worked for you so that I could give it a try? Just*came back from the AT&T store and they tried everything (dude even went on windowscentral.com*to look for information!!!) and I'm still only showing HSPA/HSPA+... I would really appreciate it.

I am from Malaysia so my settings wont work for you though. Perhaps somebody here whos on AT&T can pm you they're settings. Thats weird. If they created a new set of APN settings and saved it..it should have worked. Also does AT&T fully support LTE with this device?

Last edited:

stephanejap

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, it is fully supported. The*rep confirmed it after*checking my IMEI. I guess I must have a bad unit. I'll contact HP and have them send me the replacement they promised. Thanks for your help though...

azgoth444

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, it is fully supported. The*rep confirmed it after*checking my IMEI. I guess I must have a bad unit. I'll contact HP and have them send me the replacement they promised. Thanks for your help though...

Ok, sorry couldn't be much help. I hope the replacement unit will fix this for you. ☺

One last thing though, is your simcard a 4G/LTE simcard. Where i am from we need to change our sim to the new one to enable this feature.Is your sim an LTE enabled sim?

Last edited:

stephanejap

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Ok, sorry couldn't be much help. I hope the replacement unit will fix this for you. ☺

One last thing though, is your simcard a 4G/LTE simcard. Where i am from we need to change our sim to the new one to enable this feature.Is your sim an LTE enabled sim?

Yeah, the sim is fine. It used to be in my 950xl and I never had any LTE issues. I've read on another site that some users of the Elite X3 had received units with sim card slot issues. Maybe that's what my problem is. Now I'm just waiting for my replacement.

azgoth444

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, the sim is fine. It used to be in my 950xl and I never had any LTE issues. I've read on another site that some users of the Elite X3 had received units with sim card slot issues. Maybe that's what my problem is. Now I'm just waiting for my replacement.

yeah i believe my first unit was like that too but it totally froze up my phone like in the video i posted. hope your replacement comes soon and have no more defects.

ryanlrobinson

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Anybody else having issues with the latest software update? Came out about Thursday the 12th. I've noticed two significant issues:

1. Fingerprint reader doesn't work at all. It doesn't even register that I'm trying to use it. This is a major loss with how much longer it now takes every time I want to turn on the device (iris scanner takes a lot longer).
2. Battery life has dropped significantly, at least I think - there's the usual small sample size caveat. Normally I get home from work with 60%+ remaining, but yesterday I realized at lunch I was already down to 40%. Today has been similar.

Update: as ridiculously simple as it sounds, another restart (not the automatic restart after installing the update) and at least the fingerprint reader is working again.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon