HP Elite x3 Bricked

branoInVienna

May 1, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,
Yesterday I bought the new HP elite x3 with desk dock and found out fingerprint sensor is not supported on the preinstalled os version. So I read a little bit and found out I need the anniversary update. Further reading revealed x3 is eligible for the windows insiders program. So I said to myself what could possibly go wrong, selected the release preview ring ... and now I am stuck in a reboot loop ☹.
Now, I am not accusing anyone else but me, but still, has anyone else this problem? Any ideas?Also, did anyone else upgraded to windowsinsider build successfully?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,
Yesterday I bought the new HP elite x3 with desk dock and found out fingerprint sensor is not supported on the preinstalled os version. So I read a little bit and found out I need the anniversary update. Further reading revealed x3 is eligible for the windows insiders program. So I said to myself what could possibly go wrong, selected the release preview ring ... and now I am stuck in a reboot loop ☹.
Now, I am not accusing anyone else but me, but still, has anyone else this problem? Any ideas?Also, did anyone else upgraded to windowsinsider build successfully?

A simple soft reset, hold power 15 secs . And your phone should already update without insider

sev7en

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
We are sorry to hear that... but at least some picture of it... anyway I hope HP can take care of it as MS didn't...

branoInVienna

May 1, 2016
Visit site
Have tried it, also pow+vol.down combo does not work.
To be exact, the device does not boot up, it's just in an endless "reset-hp logo-blue screen-reset" loop.
Found this in HPs forums:
I got the exact same issue. I powered my device off (hold power butten for 10-15 sec) and kept it that way for well over 24 hours (friday night until sunday morning). During that time I did not have it plugged in.

When I started it up this morning it booted normally (in my case it installed the release preview of windows 10 mobile.
Managed somehow ho power down (or the battery is drained) but have no high hopes.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Have tried it, also pow+vol.down combo does not work.
To be exact, the device does not boot up, it's just in an endless "reset-hp logo-blue screen-reset" loop.
Found this in HPs forums:
Managed somehow ho power down (or the battery is drained) but have no high hopes.

Ok, hard reset key sequence:

switch down phone and unplugged.
Hold vol up then plug charger: phone should start. Keep holdin till a ! mark appears.
Leave button then press one key once: vol up, vol down, power, vol down

Gears should starting. Let it working and plugged till starts again and asks your attentions

Don't enter insider program, your phone will get AU by itself (it could depends on your carrier, check google)

Ntei

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
You can try the recovery tool, I do not know what it is but I've seen people recommend it as a problem solver.

MOBBAK

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
The methods for soft and hard reset work only on Lumia phones and that is why it didn't work on your phone. For th Windows Recovery Tool, it doesn't support Hp Elite x3 image yet. So, you have to wait or get replacement. By the way, the RD1 update will be available on 2016/09/13.

branoInVienna

May 1, 2016
Visit site
essentially the same as here.
Last bit was, that the x3 is not a retail product so I should contact business support.
But, of course, business support has 'normal' working hours so I did not tried it yet.

branoInVienna

May 1, 2016
Visit site
whoa, now I have the spinning wheels :winktongue:
I've just thought give it one more try, powered up with vol.down pressed.
Instead of the "!" screen the phone rebooted and the update started.
Hmmm. Strange, I did exactly this at least half a dozen times .. but I will not complain.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm. Strange, I did exactly this at least half a dozen times .. but I will not complain.

Rough start but hope it works out for you! Sorry to hear you had to go through that!

branoInVienna

May 1, 2016
Visit site
Word of advice, wait for official update. ��

I think I read somewhere 9/13/16

Twitter: @PhotographyET

You are, of course, right. But,... where is the fun in it :) <j/k>
At the Moment I myself would not advise to join Insider program with the x3.
When the WDRT supports the x3 the situation will be a different one.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

You need to hold it longer on some phones... i know.. it's crazy. My dad's L620 jumps into the bootloader instantly, my 920 takes several attempts and my L930 always 4 tries. I would put it down to user force ( I tend to press my phone buttons pretty hard without thinking - such observation occured recently due an incident at works means I have to work stents in both hands for a few weeks), the contacts between the rubber and the buttons on the housing.

Hopefully you are able to get to the phone to completely boot up with insider. I am interested to know how it performs .)

lancelin2k7

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem. Looks like firmware is needed to support updates because after any update the phone reboots, goes to the spinning wheels and doesn't move. You have to manually reboot the phone again to get it going.

vezycash

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I guess this is one of the reasons why people buy devices months after the release. I wonder how apple manages. They sell millions and issues SEEM nonexistent.

On the other hand, I'm dissapointed with... Microsoft or HP? The reset combo is supposed to be standard on all WP devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb