Ask Me Anything: HP Elite x3 with Anniversary Update

Zac Bowden

Windows Central Senior Editor
Staff member
Apr 25, 2016
windowscentral.com
Hey all,

I'm in possession of an HP Elite x3 running the Anniversary Update + newer firmware that enables some of the cool features you can check out in this post. I've seen lots of you asking questions about this device over the last few days, so I thought it would be a good idea to throw up an AMA for those who want some answers!

HP_Elite_x3_Speakers.JPG

Send me your questions below and I'll get answering them!

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Does the Salesforce app work? Is it just a link to the website? I'm asking because there is no such app in the store.
Thanks!!

Zac Bowden

Staff member
Apr 25, 2016
windowscentral.com
Since the update, how would you compare the phone towards other flagships both from Windows and competing OS's.

So far, this is my favourite Windows Phone to date. Performance is great, hardware feels great, feels more premium than my 950 XL does.

Compared to other flagships, this is definitely a contender spec wise. Since it's running Windows 10 Mobile however... Well you know the rest.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Should I have pizza or BLTs tomorrow night for dinner?
Also, can you compare it to the 1520, as far as the feel of the device is concerned?
Thanks.

Zac Bowden

Staff member
Apr 25, 2016
windowscentral.com
Does the Salesforce app work? Is it just a link to the website? I'm asking because there is no such app in the store.
Thanks!!

Salesforce app just takes you to the website right now, but that could change. As far as I'm aware, HP has a deal with Salesforce which would explain why Salesforce isn't in the Windows Store.

Zac Bowden

Staff member
Apr 25, 2016
windowscentral.com
Should I have pizza or BLTs tomorrow night for dinner?
Also, can you compare it to the 1520, as far as the feel of the device is concerned?
Thanks.

The Lumia 1520 has a wow factor that not many other phablets can compare to, the Elite x3 included. Both handsets feel great in the hand, but the Elite x3 appears "dull" compared to the bright and colourful Lumia 1520.

Oh, and Pizza, no question.

Sammibulin

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
More of a personal question, but how do you feel about the size of the phone? I love everything about this phone except for the size. I would want it in the form factor of a 950.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
how is the battery life ?

Do you prefer the np over the 950/xl?

Is the fingerprint scanner faster than the iris scanner?

Sent from mTalk

Zac Bowden

Staff member
Apr 25, 2016
windowscentral.com
More of a personal question, but how do you feel about the size of the phone? I love everything about this phone except for the size. I would want it in the form factor of a 950.

I'm coping well with the size. If you think the Lumia 950 XL is too big, then you definitely won't like the Elite x3 as it definitely feels bigger (and heavier).

Personally, I'm enjoying it. I was a 950 XL user before jumping down to the standard 950. I forgot how awesome it was using a huge display, so much content on screen at once, and a super high-quality AMOLED screen too!

Zac Bowden

Staff member
Apr 25, 2016
windowscentral.com
How bangin' is that Bang & Olufsen sound? Stereo separation? Virtual surround? Does it get loud? Can it rock yer socks off?

The speakers are forward facing, which is excellent. What that means is the sound is blasted directly at your face rather than away from you, which means sound is a lot clearer. Unfortunately, I can't say these are the best speakers I've ever heard on a phone. They get loud, real loud, but at full blast I can hear a slight rattle when high pitched noises are playing.

At more sensible levels however, audio sounds good. In short, not the best, not the worst.

Zac Bowden

Staff member
Apr 25, 2016
windowscentral.com
how is the battery life ?

Do you prefer the np over the 950/xl?

Is the fingerprint scanner faster than the iris scanner?

Sent from mTalk

Battery life is the best I've seen on a Windows phone to date. Can easily get through a day with heavy use, more if using lightly.

I'm enjoying the Elite x3 more than I enjoyed the Lumia 950/XL

The fingerprint scanner is a little faster than the Iris scanner, but not worlds different. I prefer the fingerprint scanner :)

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Is Continuum experience significantly different from the experience on 950 XL?

What do you like the most about the Elite x3 and is there anything on it that bothers you?

P.S.: Nice hands on review :winktongue:

Last edited:

Zac Bowden

Staff member
Apr 25, 2016
windowscentral.com
I Continuum experience significantly different from the experience on 950 XL?

What do you like the most about the Elite x3 and is there anything on it that bothers you?

P.S.: Nice hands on review :winktongue:

Continuum looks and feels the same, but is a little faster and more responsive considering we're rocking a Snapdragon 820 rather than an 810. HP Workspace will allow businesses to virtualise Win32 apps, but apart from that the experience is much of the same.

I like the fingerprint scanner the most, it's just so convenient. The camera is the only thing bothering me right now, as it's very buggy and slow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)