Ask Me Anything: HP Elite x3 with Anniversary Update

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
First, this thread idea is awesome.

Now for my actual question(s), what has surprised you (the most, or just generally) about the Elite X3? Also, at this time, would you recommend this over the 950XL or is it too early to say?

Zac Bowden

Windows Central Senior Editor
Staff member
Apr 25, 2016
windowscentral.com
First, this thread idea is awesome.

Now for my actual question(s), what has surprised you (the most, or just generally) about the Elite X3? Also, at this time, would you recommend this over the 950XL or is it too early to say?

The "premiumness" has surprised me the most, only because most of the handset is plastic. I was expecting it to feel like the 950 series, but it feels so much better. Perhaps that's the added weight behind it, who knows. There's no creaking or bending, it's a solid phone.

Not sure if I can recommend it over the 950XL just yet, at the end of the day these are two very different handsets aimed at very different people.

Chris Jennings3

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Ok thanks Zac. That's a shame. I thought Ms were more into software than hardware.why would they keep some features exclusive. Seems a bit counter productive to me

Matts4313

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
What apps are available in the HP "Workforce" suite (I think thats what it is called). Have you been provided any information on what might be coming app wise and also what the cost is? Do you feel there is a possibility that this phone could actually replace your computer/tablet at least partially?

Zac Bowden

Staff member
Apr 25, 2016
windowscentral.com
What apps are available in the HP "Workforce" suite (I think thats what it is called). Have you been provided any information on what might be coming app wise and also what the cost is? Do you feel there is a possibility that this phone could actually replace your computer/tablet at least partially?

I have no info on this. The app recently started working, but without a corporate account I can't get passed the login screen.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Have you seen "resuming" or "loading" when moving between apps or using the back arrow to get back to the start screen?
My 1520 always felt a bit top heavy when using it one-handed. How is the balance of the X3?
This might already be available, but is the screen flat or does it curve towards the edges? Asking because the 1520 never really worked well with tempered glass screen protectors due to the edges of the screen not being flat.
Thanks.

Zac Bowden

Staff member
Apr 25, 2016
windowscentral.com
Have you seen "resuming" or "loading" when moving between apps or using the back arrow to get back to the start screen?
My 1520 always felt a bit top heavy when using it one-handed. How is the balance of the X3?
This might already be available, but is the screen flat or does it curve towards the edges? Asking because the 1520 never really worked well with tempered glass screen protectors due to the edges of the screen not being flat.
Thanks.

The resuming/loading thing will be apparent with all Windows phones, including the Elite x3. It's just how the OS stores apps in the background.

The Elite x3 seems pretty well balanced, have no complaints with holding it.

Screen has an ever-so-slight curve around the edges, very unnoticeable but it's there.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
In my experience, this was very apparent in earlier insider builds of WP10, while I hardly see it now at all. Since my 950xl died (and is being warranty returned), I switched to my 1520. I found that dog slow compared to the 950xl. I'm now using my One M8, on the slow ring build and hardly see any "loading" except for Audible while running Waze and connected to my car's bluetooth.

kylealden

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Does it work with the Lumia Display Dock? Is the Desk Dock's included USB-C cable compatible with the Lumia Display Dock?

(I lost my USB C-to-C cable :'()

jfitzi33

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
Since the x3 does not have glance does it have an led for notifications? Any form of visual clue as to a missed notification?

Thanks in advance.:smile:

Zac Bowden

Staff member
Apr 25, 2016
windowscentral.com
Since the x3 does not have glance does it have an led for notifications? Any form of visual clue as to a missed notification?

Thanks in advance.:smile:

Unfortunately not, at least not yet. It has a charging LED that comes on when plugged into power. It's orange when charging and green when fully charged.. I wouldn't be surprised if HP or MS enabled LED notifications down the line, but it's not there today.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo