Ask Me Anything: HP Elite x3 with Anniversary Update

lancelin2k7

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
Zac, forgetting about apps for a minute, how does this stack up against flagships on other platforms? I'm talking about build quality, call quality, photos, etc. We already know it doesn't poke any mons or snap any chats, so as far as the device goes, is it worth 8 Benjamins?

Call quality for me has been stellar, no issues with reception or data. Bluetooth works greatand doesn't crash (unlike the 950xl).

Egelke

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
Right now, no. The Elite x3 works only with its specific Desk Dock, and doesn't come with a USB-C to USB-C cable.

I also have an X3 and it came with a USB-C extensions cable (male-female) and it is oddly shaped because it is designed for the desk dock. I don't own a display doc, so I don`t know if it fits.

Zac Bowden

Windows Central Senior Editor
Staff member
Apr 25, 2016
windowscentral.com
Hi Zack,
Can we expect a 'lite' elite x3 version or even mid range versions from HP in the coming future?

Unlikely. HP is only here with a device running Windows 10 Mobile because their device is aimed at businesses. No need for a lite/mid range version. If they were, they'd likely go Android.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi Zac...

This is very cool of you to do!!! Thanks!

My question:

You have now had your grubby paws on both the X3 and the 950XL. Together they - at least to me - appear to represent the best of the best that the Windows Mobile space can offer currently. You have used them both and as you have pointed out, in some ways, the 950XL is better (cam, for eg.) while in others, the X3 shines. Pending the updates, the software experience on the X3 you have mentioned is not very good but that should change soon enough.

So, what more do you think MS can do - considering where their mobile OS currently is and where it may be by May 2017 and of the app situation now and then - that they can market as an iconic Surface Phone (all unsubstantiated rumours at this point)?

A phone that combines the strengths of the X3 and the 950XL would be a damn good device and with a great design, it would be a very desirable thing. But would that be enough to warrant what a (as of yet hypothetical) Surface Phone could be - something that would provide that critical impetus to Microsoft's efforts in the mobile sector?

Thanks in advance!

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
In my experience, this was very apparent in earlier insider builds of WP10, while I hardly see it now at all. Since my 950xl died (and is being warranty returned), I switched to my 1520. I found that dog slow compared to the 950xl. I'm now using my One M8, on the slow ring build and hardly see any "loading" except for Audible while running Waze and connected to my car's bluetooth.

I haven't had it happen even once since anniversary update. Maybe sometimes when I switch to instagram, but it's not a resuming screen just the instagram logo quickly shows up before the app fully loads. It's like a flash.

Zac Bowden

Windows Central Senior Editor
Staff member
Apr 25, 2016
windowscentral.com
Hi Zac...

This is very cool of you to do!!! Thanks!

My question:

You have now had your grubby paws on both the X3 and the 950XL. Together they - at least to me - appear to represent the best of the best that the Windows Mobile space can offer currently. You have used them both and as you have pointed out, in some ways, the 950XL is better (cam, for eg.) while in others, the X3 shines. Pending the updates, the software experience on the X3 you have mentioned is not very good but that should change soon enough.

So, what more do you think MS can do - considering where their mobile OS currently is and where it may be by May 2017 and of the app situation now and then - that they can market as an iconic Surface Phone (all unsubstantiated rumours at this point)?

A phone that combines the strengths of the X3 and the 950XL would be a damn good device and with a great design, it would be a very desirable thing. But would that be enough to warrant what a (as of yet hypothetical) Surface Phone could be - something that would provide that critical impetus to Microsoft's efforts in the mobile sector?

Thanks in advance!

I think the Surface Phone needs to WOW to be a hit. I think digitizer support, Continuum enhancements and an actually "nice" feeling and looking handset need to play a part. The Elite x3 is good because of it's RAW power, and design is pretty cool tool. The 950 XL doesn't stand out much other than it having Iris, which now isn't even a huge deal since other platforms are picking it up too.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I haven't had it happen even once since anniversary update. Maybe sometimes when I switch to instagram, but it's not a resuming screen just the instagram logo quickly shows up before the app fully loads. It's like a flash.
That's fantastic to know! Anniversary build is 14393.105, correct? (For some reason, I had to backtrack to 10586.545 on my One M8, and it won't download the latest insider build on Fast Ring.)

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss