Ask Me Anything: HP Elite x3 with Anniversary Update

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Awesome thread, just what we needed .)

Double tap to wake - how configurable is it?

Secondly can we double tap to turn off the phone?

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I think the Surface Phone needs to WOW to be a hit. I think digitizer support, Continuum enhancements and an actually "nice" feeling and looking handset need to play a part. The Elite x3 is good because of it's RAW power, and design is pretty cool tool. The 950 XL doesn't stand out much other than it having Iris, which now isn't even a huge deal since other platforms are picking it up too.
Little off topic, but you cant make anything to WOW in an year. And anything with WM10 is not going to WOW.
Iphone was a progression of the ipod that took 5-7 years.
But a phone that runs full Windows but could be used without mouse and keyboard could wow.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
That's fantastic to know! Anniversary build is 14393.105, correct? (For some reason, I had to backtrack to 10586.545 on my One M8, and it won't download the latest insider build on Fast Ring.)

Mines .103. I don't think they released .105 for mobile, if they did I haven't gotten it yet.

I think you need to move to release preview ring since m8 is likely not supported for redstone 2.

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Secondly can we double tap to turn off the phone?
Double tap to turn off is there, it's actually built into the OS itself and isn't dependent on firmware. Double tap to wake is part of HP firmware, that's why it can have configurable options (someone else will have to answer questions about those options though, don't know for myself).

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Re: HP Elite X3 Official US Price $699

Anyone know if the elite x3 is able to utilize the full 4gb of RAM on redstone? 1511 is still a 32bit build.

realbart

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm on 10.0.10586.545. That's not the Anniversery update, is it?

• Does anyone else experience problems using WhatsApp Web?
  • Is this fixed in the Anniversery Update?
  • Does the Anniversery Update enable the finger print scanner?
  • Does the Anniversery Update fix my phone crashing everytime I want to use a photo I took?
  • Will Continuum with a random HP laptop work again with the Anniversary Update?
    (I can't get it to work with this phone, but it did work on another phone running build 10.0.14393.67)

aerostah

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site
HP's Display Dock has vague specs regarding displayport output capability.

Can you confirm the maximum screen resolution of the Display Dock?

Can it do:
2560x1440 @ 60hz?
3840x2160 @ 60hz?

Does the user experience degrade at either screen resolution? Mouse performance, keystroke responsiveness, opening new browser tabs, etc.

realbart

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
  • Many people have the WhatsApp problem. It works on other (windows) phones.
  • Bing Vision and the QR scanning functionality has been removed altogether.
  • The photo/crashing problem is alse wide spread. The one Android feature I DON'T need.
  • Continuum does not work like it should.
  • I cannot protect my logon with finger prints.

But I found some more problems.

• My company uses Microsofts Hosted Exchange Service.
    If I want to forward a mail, Outlook needs to first completely download it.
    Then, I click forward, it waits. The moving dots, as if it is downloading the attachment again. Except it isn't.
  • Telegram won't attach photos you just took. The confirmation button stays disabled. It works on other (windows) phones.

So spend almost 1000 euros for a phone especially made for business.
You juist cannot use specific business features, and there's problems with mail and messinging apps.

Does the anniversery update fix any of these things?

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Fingerprint reader works on Anniversary Update. Continuum works fine for Windows PCs with certified Miracast/Intel Wi-Di, others may not be as reliable. Windows 10 mobile apparently does not support external displays above full HD (the dock and phone have capable hardware but it requires OS support). OS does not support RAM above 3.5GB.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
  • Many people have the WhatsApp problem. It works on other (windows) phones.
  • My company uses Microsofts Hosted Exchange Service.
    If I want to forward a mail, Outlook needs to first completely download it.
    Then, I click forward, it waits. The moving dots, as if it is downloading the attachment again. Except it isn't.her (windows) phones.
Out of curiosity - do you have "Automatically download external images and style formats" checked for the account with your hosted exchange email? My organization has 77,000 accounts on hosted exchange. I've been using various Windows and Android devices and find that there's no issue as long as that option is checked.

I'm curious how people use What's App. I downloaded it but can't see why I'd use it instead of messaging.

How are others feeling about this? My 950XL is coming back to me on Saturday from warranty repair. While I had high-hopes for a 5.7 to 6" device with a front-facing speaker, I'm beginning to wonder.

Since I'm using my One M8 as my daily driver I've become keenly aware how often I use the camera button during the day. I will regularly take pictures of whiteboards or other items using OfficeLens into OneNote.

ScreenShot374.jpg

That used to be easy on the 950XL but with the OneM8, I now have to swipe down and press the camera item.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte