Ask Me Anything: HP Elite x3 with Anniversary Update

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious how people use What's App. I downloaded it but can't see why I'd use it instead of messaging.

works on wifi when there's no cell service, way easier to manage with nicer quality pictures, videos... lots of groups. I have stuff like hockey chat group, bbq group, hockey pool group, smaller groups with different groups of friends. Travel groups so when your on a trip with some people, do a whatsapp group and know if people are checking messages Group management, monitor, add/remove, assign multiple admins for groups... Name your groups, put a picture for your group for really easy identifcation, send location or whatever desired location you want to pick really easily, I whatsapp call long d people for free... the whole suite of tools are just better and all built in.

mms often doesn't work with some competing providers.

realbart

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Out of curiosity - do you have "Automatically download external images and style formats" checked for the account with your hosted exchange email? My organization has 77,000 accounts on hosted exchange. I've been using various Windows and Android devices and find that there's no issue as long as that option is checked..

Thanks, I will try that workaround. I'd rather not have to increase my data plan. I'm not opening the attachments anyway, when I'm on the road. ?'m really hoping the anniversary update

I'm curious how people use What's App. I downloaded it but can't see why I'd use it instead of messaging.

Seriously? It combines the simplicity of messaging with the flexibility of e-mail. You're able to send all kinds of attachments, like photos and your current location at the push of a button. Plus, for many people messaging is way more expensive. Personally I prefer Telegram, because it has a better desktop app. It behaves more like what MSN Messenger used to be. But to be able to communicate you need to use what everybody else is using. No use finding my Facebook friends on Google+.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
works on wifi when there's no cell service, way easier to manage with nicer quality pictures, videos...
OIC. I will have to see who might be on it.

I just got my 950XL back and am so happy to have glance screen again. I didn't realize how much I missed that while using my OneM8. Dual-sim also, as i have my personal SIM on T-Mobile and my work SIM on AT&T.

Noticed that my son has essentially what is glance screen on his Samsung Note 7. Don't know why any phone manufacturere can't do this as long as they have an OLED screen.

Here's his note 7 -

ScreenShot381.jpg

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
There is a feature similar to Glance but it requires the HP Display Tools app to run in the foreground. When the app is open, the phone will switch to a screen similar to the Glance screen (date/time/battery with the rest of the screen off) and then lock after a certain amount of time. It is intended to be used with the Desk Dock (the app launches automatically when docked) but you can use it at any time.
Not exactly the Glance screen that is on Lumia, but it is something.

anon(5415472)

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
The question everybody is burning to ask ....

When's The Great Windowscentral Elite X3 Giveaway?!?
Not that I'm salivating at the chance to win, of course. I'm just the itsy bit curious is all. Just slightly.

realbart

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
When will this update be released to the general public? I read sep 13 somewhere, so I'm checking for available updates like 20 times a day.

(I'm postponing my final review of the phone, because reportedly most problems I have now will be fixed.)

Stamie Sclavos

Sep 18, 2016
Visit site
Yes I have my x3 updated however fingerprint scanner is still not an option in the settings? When I updated it did say it was the anniversary update but all I have noticed is a smoother experience when switching between apps. Still massive camera bugs and phone restarting and not fingerprint scanner. This was the phone to change me over from android but I was shocked by the fact a phone was released and seems like it still had 6 months of bug fixes to sort out, wouldn't get this if I stuck to upgrading my galaxy notes but hopefully these issues can be fixed soon and I remain a microsoft convert because the features that do work are really cool and the phone itself feels great

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Hope you can stick it out. Check around on the forums. You will find some answers in sure. Thanks for your input!

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Yes I have my x3 updated however fingerprint scanner is still not an option in the settings? When I updated it did say it was the anniversary update but all I have noticed is a smoother experience when switching between apps. Still massive camera bugs and phone restarting and not fingerprint scanner. This was the phone to change me over from android but I was shocked by the fact a phone was released and seems like it still had 6 months of bug fixes to sort out, wouldn't get this if I stuck to upgrading my galaxy notes but hopefully these issues can be fixed soon and I remain a microsoft convert because the features that do work are really cool and the phone itself feels great

How do you feel the size of it is when holding it? The x3 measures bigger than the plus series of iPhone. That's why I'm reluctant on trying to get this.

Stamie Sclavos

Sep 18, 2016
Visit site
How do you feel the size of it is when holding it? The x3 measures bigger than the plus series of iPhone. That's why I'm reluctant on trying to get this.

Yes it is a big phone, very big. If you don't like big phones you wont like it. I have always used the note series since they came out and now I hate watching movies or youtube on my note compared to this, and the front facing speaker just makes it all that much better as well. Even just surfing the web is so much better, you get more real estate. Word and onenote are actually usable without having to use continuum the screen is big enough that you don't feel cramped

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
If you can, get hold of a 1520. That's the same size Windows phone. Unfortunately, it doesn't stack up to a newer device. I was using one after my 950xl broke and was waiting for warranty repair. Man it felt slow!

Now, however, the 950xl feels small after using the 1520 for awhile. Things are much easier to read and do on the 6" device.

Microsoft also has the ability to quickly resize the keyboard for one-handed use if needed. Hold down the space key and the keyboard becomes floating. Drag it to a corner and it resizes. I don't recall SwiftKey having that.

How to Reposition the Keyboard in Windows 10 Mobile Devices

There's also one-handed use options, which I used on my 1520 when walking my dog -

How to use one-handed mode in Windows 10 Mobile | Windows Central

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I just got a FW update with a version 0002.0000.0018.0105. There's no info about it available. Does anybody know what's in it?
Where are you located (region)? That's a new version...I'm not aware of the report on it yet. Anyone else?

sent by mTalk

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I just got a FW update with a version 0002.0000.0018.0105. There's no info about it available. Does anybody know what's in it?
No new features in this update. Just some smaller bug fixes I think, don't know exactly what was changed/fixed though.
It now shows status of both SIMs permanently in the status bar, even when SIM 2 is missing ("No service"). Don't know if this was a Windows update or firmware, but it's there now.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
No new features in this update. Just some smaller bug fixes I think, don't know exactly what was changed/fixed though.
It now shows status of both SIMs permanently in the status bar, even when SIM 2 is missing ("No service"). Don't know if this was a Windows update or firmware, but it's there now.
Hmm. The x3 I own always has shown both SIMs in the status...UPDATE: I see what you mean! :) Yep I am downloading the update too. Thanks for the heads up Ivan05il!

Last edited:

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Yeah, I see it has the text now too compared to a device without the new firmware.

Attachments

• GroupMe_20161122_173546.png
    GroupMe_20161122_173546.png
    10 KB · Views: 132

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss