HP Elite X3 vs Oneplus 3 --> does .46" really matter?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
So since people have been getting their hands on the X3 and we've been getting more and more actual user info on the phone, I've heard a lot of people saying that they would rather have a smaller version of the phone and that as it is the X3 is too big.

That got me wondering. Since the 1+3 has been released it's been quite popular. It comes in at 5.5"

The Note 7 comes in at 57" and still no one has an issue...

The X3 is 5.96" but we're deeming it "too big"?

I mean sure it's bigger than the competition, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing. I mean, I've seen people putting giant tablets to their faces for crying out loud

So the old question comes back to haunt us.. does size really matter? it's just .46" :winktongue:

(I would go for a phone as big as 5.2)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I think this is a great question. I think size matters with how you plan to use it and move it around, and also your usage in general.

What I mean by move it around is will it be in a pocket (ever), a handbag, murse ("man purse", not sure of the spelling)? For those situations, the answer varies. For me, a 5.2 phone is the biggest, tallest and widest that works for my work pockets. I don't think an almost 6" phone will fit in my purse at all actually.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Design is everything. The shape, the weight, the balance, the bezels, and even the OS make a huge difference in the feel.

Try comparing, for example, a Lumia 1520 to a Nexus 6. They both have a 6" screen, but the Lumia 1520 feels huge by comparison. The Nexus 6 has one of the highest screen-to-body ratios of any phone, and it even has front facing speakers.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I think this is a great question. I think size matters with how you plan to use it and move it around, and also your usage in general.

What I mean by move it around is will it be in a pocket (ever), a handbag, murse ("man purse", not sure of the spelling)? For those situations, the answer varies. For me, a 5.2 phone is the biggest, tallest and widest that works for my work pockets. I don't think an almost 6" phone will fit in my purse at all actually.

5.2 can still fit in my jeans pocket somewhat. I really don't like having my phone in a bag or in my hand (unless I'm using it). These are the things I always need very close to me for some reason: keys/wallet/phone. If one is missing I tend to feel out of balance lol

Design is everything. The shape, the weight, the balance, the bezels, and even the OS make a huge difference in the feel.

Try comparing, for example, a Lumia 1520 to a Nexus 6. They both have a 6" screen, but the Lumia 1520 feels huge by comparison. The Nexus 6 has one of the highest screen-to-body ratios of any phone, and it even has front facing speakers.

Agreed the 1520 is a huge phone, but once you start using it, after awhile that size starts to fade and once you get used to the screensize it's hard to go back. So really it comes down to, how badly you want to use it and if you're willing to push through those first moments/days of getting used to a "giant" phone

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Agreed the 1520 is a huge phone, but once you start using it, after awhile that size starts to fade and once you get used to the screensize it's hard to go back. So really it comes down to, how badly you want to use it and if you're willing to push through those first moments/days of getting used to a "giant" phone

Yes I know, and I agree! But a 6" phone is big any way you look at it or how used to it you are. I was comparing two different 6" phones, and saying that design makes a big difference. If you're used to a 1520 and picked up a Nexus 6 for the first time, chances are you'd think the Nexus 6 feels smaller.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
5.2 can still fit in my jeans pocket somewhat. I really don't like having my phone in a bag or in my hand (unless I'm using it). These are the things I always need very close to me for some reason: keys/wallet/phone. If one is missing I tend to feel out of balance lol
I agree with you about that. Having to put my phone in my purse is annoying. If it can't fit in my pocket, I don't need to have it. lol

@tgp has a great point about the design though! I'm on my fourth (or 5th, if you want to be technical but I can't remember one of them at all, lol) 5.2" phone, and the Honor 8 feels like the smallest one of them all in width and height. It's crazy how design can make such a big difference.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Yes I know, and I agree! But a 6" phone is big any way you look at it or how used to it you are. I was comparing two different 6" phones, and saying that design makes a big difference. If you're used to a 1520 and picked up a Nexus 6 for the first time, chances are you'd think the Nexus 6 feels smaller.

Need to check if any shops in my country carry the nexus 6 lol

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Probably not. It's a 2 year old device by now. :)

I'm not saying the Nexus 6 is a perfect design, or that the 1520 is terrible. I was using them as examples of how two devices with the same size screen can feel different.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
The X3 is 5.96" but we're deeming it "too big"?

True Ven...
At 5.96" I'm thinking it may be more of a 2 handed device or used more on the desk.
I'm a 5.5 type of guy myself and that would be my max.

I also wonder if a large sized device such as the x3 would be more prone to dropping due to fumbling.
Phones at 13.97 centimeters (5.5 inches) for me did take a bit of getting used to.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Have to check the size of your pockets to determine the size of the phone you can get. If you have small pockets, get a small phone, but large pockets give you a choice. :D

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
True Ven...
At 5.96" I'm thinking it may be more of a 2 handed device or used more on the desk.
I'm a 5.5 type of guy myself and that would be my max.

I also wonder if a large sized device such as the x3 would be more prone to dropping due to fumbling.
Phones at 13.97 centimeters (5.5 inches) for me did take a bit of getting used to.

now how about giving the X3 a go and getting used to that size? :D

The X3 weighs 11g more than the Nexus 6.

I think that should be the real issue. Extra weight and bigger size makes it much more of a "fumble-hazard" (translating what Guytronic said lol)

Have to check the size of your pockets to determine the size of the phone you can get. If you have small pockets, get a small phone, but large pockets give you a choice. :D

So in other words, sweatpants are the way to go? or should be bring back baggy pants? :p

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

The kind of pants and jeans I like rarely have large pockets. I don't think there's more to be said when it comes to girl pockets...

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Big pockets here ...Lol...

The phones I've been hanging with lately always seem to turn in the pocket in such a way it gets uncomfy.
Even bought slip cases to see if that helped...nope made things worse.
Ah well no rest for the wicked :)

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The Moto X Pure has a 5.7. When I first ordered I was wondering how I could get along with it. Biggest display I've used was 5". Because of the design, the Moto 5.7" wasn't near as troublesome as I had imagined it might be. I use a slim TPU case on it and the phone can be used one-handed for a lot of what I do. This device is smaller than the 5.5" iPhone 6(s)Plus. It fits nicely in my jeans pockets and I can even sit down with it in there (although I rarely do that).

.... but ... there are times when I would like it to be just a tad smaller. A 5.5" (depending on how it's designed) would be one I'd like to try (looking at you Idol Pro 4 if you actually come into existence).

...So all of this considered I'm quite confident that the HP Elite X3 would be too big for my everyday use.

Last edited:

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
So in other words if HP decide to make another phone, they should really focus on design and adding features that can make it easier to manage a phone that is "big"

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I would have to pass on the x3 as non-power user.
HP has done a great job with it's return I would say however.
Maybe they could whip up something such as a "Spectre" device for independent device users on the go with less need for business features.
Hard to say what a companies roadmap will be with early sales data.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)